[WEG] What are Your Experiences with WEG Star Wars?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[WEG] What are Your Experiences with WEG Star Wars?

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:35 pm

How many here have played WEG's Star Wars RPG? If you have played or GMed this game, what edition did you play? What era did your games take place in? What did you like and dislike about the game itself?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Nate Christen
Troll

Re: [WEG] What are Your Experiences with WEG Star Wars?

Post by Nate Christen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:26 am

I played West End's Star Wars for a solid decade, from junior high through college. It is, in fact, my favorite incarnation of the game. Some thoughts:

1. It was gloriously simple, one of the easiest games to teach a new player. I love the fact that I can play it with a rulebook of less than 200 pages, while newer versions have grown thicker and thicker.

2. It did become unbalanced with more experienced characters. For many of my campaigns, which ran the course of a school year, this wasn't a problem. When one GM allowed players to continue with characters from a campaign that I ran, and then another let them play for another year, things became problematic. The maiming rule came into effect when we faced a powerful Force-user, and most of the heroes had artificial limbs. I didn't like that.

3. In retrospect, the game was probably short on what modern players would expect for customization options. You could improve your character's skills, but there weren't that many special abilities to acquire. We didn't care, though, because we were playing Star Wars.

-Nate
Last edited by Nate Christen on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:03 am

I played in high school (one of the guys in my AD&D group had a lot of the books). As Nate mentioned, it's easy to learn and easy to play, while it can get unbalanced at high levels because of the sheer number of dice. I liked how WEG did their best to include absolutely everything. They drew from the movies, they drew from the comic books, they inspired (and then drew from) the novels. It was also just fun - while it could deal with serious topics, it had a lot of influence from the sci-fi serials that were one of the inspirations for the films.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:32 am

I ran a few campaigns and one shots with this game. This was mostly in my early career as a GM, so I am not sure how good those games were, but my players seemed to have fun.

We started with 1st edition, moved on to 2nd editon and then to R&E.

Later we have also played some games with D6 and MiniSix. One of my friends ran a Star Wars game for us set during the Battle of Hoth. I believe he actually used HeroSystem (Issaries), though I could be misremembering that.

My longest running campaign was based mostly around WEG's Tramp Freighters sourcebook, though with individual expansions of my own. The plan was actually to continue this campaign all the way through the Rebellion Era and have the final part of the campaign conclude at the Battle of Endor, though the game never got that far.

I think the main problem with high dice pools relates to high Str/Armor. High Dodge can always be countered with multiple or very skilled attackers, effectively reducing dodge pools.

I am not sure allowing XP to increase attributes was a good idea.

I love the concept of spending XPs to improve equipment, but this did sometimes result in problems like with the character Red Eyes.

I go back and forth with what I like about each edition. I do see the point of those favoring the simplicity of the 1st edition, but I do like the added details of R&E. I did fall in love with one concept from MiniSix that removed passive rolls and replaced them with static values. On the other hand, this might make high dice pools even more problematic.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zudrak
Orc

Post by Zudrak » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Havard wrote:How many here have played WEG's Star Wars RPG? If you have played or GMed this game, what edition did you play? What era did your games take place in? What did you like and dislike about the game itself?

-Havard
1. I have.

2. I have GMed 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded and the fan-supported REUP (2nd Edition Revised, Expanded, & Updated) edition.

3. I have run games in the EU post-Return of the Jedi era, Clone Wars era, and First Order era. I have much preferred the EU post-RotJ era to everything else, but my son (14) grew up with the Clone Wars TV show and now The Force Awakens as the newest in the Saga line of movies.

4. I have yet to find anything I dislike in the game. It captures the feel of the Star Wars milieu perfectly. From 2000-2003 or so, I ran an on-again/off-again Wizards of the Coast SW d20 RPG game that I came to loathe because of the mechanics. Class/level just does not fit the milieu like the template/skills system of WEG does. YMMV.

5. For a look-see of the annual birthday games I ran for my son's Star Wars-themed birthday parties (2013, 2015, & 2016), see here:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4435

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 am

1. I ran my first game a few weeks ago. Have been wanting to for a long time. I used the scenario from the Introductory Adventure Game, but I didn’t use that ruleset…

2. I used the 1e rules; I don’t ever see myself using anything else — I might houserule some stuff in, but I like the weight (or lack thereof) and feel of this RPG.

3. The game was set in the Rebellion time period post-Yavin. My friends and I are all in our 30s, and it was never even discussed what the timeframe would be, it was just assumed all around, and no-one batted an eye. I like the post-Endor New Republic timeframe, too, but the classic assumptions just click a bit more effortlessly, at least for my generation.

4. I wouldn’t say I have enough experience to speak very articulately on the strengths and weaknesses of the game. The players seemed to enjoy looking through the templates and the subsequent amount (not too much, not too little) of customization that went into the PC. The scenario was exciting, with lots of action and great adventuresome SW feel.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:32 pm

I started as a freshman in high school with a couple friends on an intro mission to see if we liked the system. We continued almost for a decade with the same characters between the three of us. In fact one member is fairly close to a current writer and the characters names are now canon :) Typically we would play when someone had an idea they wanted to run with so game mastering kind of rotated. I couldn't tell you how many ships we went through over the course of that campaign. We used stormtrooper bodies as shields, impersonated a grand admiral and stole a super star destroyer, woke up naked several times at the start of an adventure and had to work from there, and only ever met a movie character once and that was in the intro before we realized we would be keeping the same characters.

Game itself is stupidly simple and is quite easy to work on as GM even without books. You don't want to know how many characters I made during the waste of time/ sleep deprivation classes in basic training, and never used. I did include them as NPCs on occasion. Very easy to teach new people how to play and I might be running a new game soon since all the material ever produced and then some is available for free now.

SteveMiller
Goblin

Post by SteveMiller » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:37 pm

I've been running and/or playing in the same SW campaign since 1995 (with only a six-month break, ironically, during the time I was actually employed at WEG in 1997). The game started a few months before the destruction of Alderaan, and it has continued through the years. I believe something in the neighborhood of 20 years has passed in game time--long enough for NPCs and PCs alike to have stated families and have teenaged children. :)

The only trouble I've ever seen with the WEG D6 System is that it wasn't built for the sort of long-term play that we've been subjecting it to. (There is a PC who can, literally, do Death Star scale damage with his lightsaber, for example. It's only 1D worth, but still.... :) )

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:56 am

I played d6 SW from 1E all the way through R&E.

It is pretty much as Havard and others have said; 1E is nice and simple and not overly complicated or crunchy, while R&E has all sorts of added complexity, and the variety currently available on the Grey Market, so to speak, added in everything and the kitchen sink (and is very, very pretty).

So really, depends on how much crunch you want.

And it can get unbalanced for high experience characters, but who doesn't love rolling buckets of dice, eh?

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:34 pm

We must have played 3-4 games of WEG Star Wars. The system didn't leave a lasting impression. But I did buy several of used WEG SW setting books and modules which I reused for SWd20, SW Saga and my SF D20 Modern games. What I enjoyed the most about that game was reading the setting material.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:34 pm
We must have played 3-4 games of WEG Star Wars. The system didn't leave a lasting impression. But I did buy several of used WEG SW setting books and modules which I reused for SWd20, SW Saga and my SF D20 Modern games. What I enjoyed the most about that game was reading the setting material.
WEG did amazing things with the Star Wars Universe Setting. Several things even made it into novels, computer games etc, including some things that exist in Disney's Canon as well.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:13 pm

I discovered table-top role-playing games with this game. I have fond memories of it, but this might be mostly a nostalgia factor here ^^ However, I found it is a great game to introduce new players to role-playing as the rules are rather simple, and the setting is well-known by most.
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

Kythkyn
Bugbear

Post by Kythkyn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:35 pm
How many here have played WEG's Star Wars RPG? If you have played or GMed this game, what edition did you play? What era did your games take place in? What did you like and dislike about the game itself?
I have played it, and for my birthday my Husbutch got me the anniversary reprints of 1e. I have played 1e and 2e, but I have yet to run it.

Our games mostly took place during the post Rebellion Era (Legacy wasn't a thing yet), with one game during the Old Republic. I like how fast paced the game is, and easy to make a character. I also like that it never felt like the rules got in the way, like I feel the newest iteration does. And with the new old books, I am currently working on a campaign to run, possibly even tonight!

Also, if anyone is interested, I made a custom sheet (mostly for fun, but feel free to use it!)
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:26 am

I agree entirely! The mechanics were simple and fast, and didn't get bogged down with the later details of d20. Although I played a lot of d20 too, and enjoyed it.

Nice work on the character sheet! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Star Wars”