Swoop Gangs and Rebel Spies

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...maclunky!" Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Gnoll

Swoop Gangs and Rebel Spies

Post by 1970 »

I was reading an article on Swoop Gangs in an issue of the Star Wars Adventure Journal (volume 1, issue 6), and it inspired me to try a game based on it, using either the d6 system or d20 Revised. The gang itself, currently unnamed, are more weekend riders than a true gang. They mostly drink alcohol and participate in swoop races, occasionally getting into fights with more "dedicated" gangs. Otherwise, they hold down jobs, mostly factory work. Outside of a brawl or two, they mostly stay out of trouble.

Or at least they thought they did. Recently their leader was found dead in the gang's community-owned garage. It turns out that she was working for a crime lord, moving small cargo and messages, like a courier service. Someone got it in their head that she had somehow betrayed her boss, and he had her killed after drilling her for information. Without a satisfactory answer from her, the crime lord's organization is targeting the rest of the gang. Suddenly their lives are a lot more interesting.

Of course, the leader couldn't give an explanation because she was framed. A member of Imperial Intelligence has a hunch that the gang is secretly harboring a Rebel Agent or possibly a Saboteur. He gave the crime lord false information in an attempt to flush the agent out, figuring that if the organization put pressure on the gang the Rebel Spy would either call for backup or make an attempt to get off world. So far nothing, but sometimes there things take time, and if the crime lord eventually kills the gang, the problem is mostly solved, though getting chance to interrogate the spy would be a boon.

Thing is, the Intelligence Agent is right. The Rebel in the midst of the gang is a saboteur, spy, and sometimes recruiter. He's spooked, but is maintaining his cover so far. Right now he's on a mission to figure out who assassinated the gang's leader and whether or not it has anything to do with him. He'll figure out what to do after that.

That's what I have so far. Does anyone have any opinions about this? Thanks.
Formless Faceless and Free

thorr-kan
Ogre

Re: Swoop Gangs and Rebel Spies

Post by thorr-kan »

Classic "Find the Mole" game. It would be entertaining with the right table. (Know your players, etc. proforma warning.)

It feels like a group the like Paranoia would eat this up.

Sharkbelly
Bugbear

Post by Sharkbelly »

What is the role of the heroes in this adventure? To find the mole and join the cause?

Gnoll

Post by 1970 »

Sharkbelly wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 am
What is the role of the heroes in this adventure? To find the mole and join the cause?
I imagine that in the beginning the heroes will be trying to survive. They've got a Criminal Cartel that's interested in information they don't have and Imperial Intelligence that's looking for information only one or a few of them have. Finding the mole would be a great start, and joining the cause would be cool, but they'd have to clear their name with the Cartel and get their gang off Imperial Intelligence's radar, which is probably a campaign of its own.

It might be interesting to have one of the players actually playing the mole, with the rest of them playing sympathizers. That way they're already involved on a deeper level than the rest of the gang. Can the Rebel escape without implicating his friends? Will he use his contacts in the Rebellion to help the gang get straight with the Cartel, and can he do so without tipping off Imperial Intelligence?

That's where I'm at right now I think.
Formless Faceless and Free

Return to “Star Wars”