High Republic Era - A good era for running campaigns?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...maclunky!" Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

High Republic Era - A good era for running campaigns?

Post by Havard »

Wikipedia tells us the following:
Star Wars: The High Republic, initially promoted as Project Luminous, is a subseries of the Star Wars media franchise set during the "High Republic" sub-era of the Age of Republic, set 200 years before the events of the Skywalker saga and 800 years after the fall of the "Old Republic". In-universe, the initiating event of the subfranchise is "The Great Disaster" involving the antagonistic "space Vikings" known as the Nihil and the subsequent intervention of the Jedi at the height of their power.

"Project Luminous" was started in September 2018 with invitations to Star Wars authors including Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older, Cavan Scott and Charles Soule to Skywalker Ranch, with Lucasfilm offering them a "blank slate" in determining the project.[1] Lucasfilm had teased "Project Luminous" in April 2019, which prompted intense fan speculation.[2]

On February 24, 2020, Lucasfilm announced a new series of comics and novels called Star Wars: The High Republic, intended to be a publisher-only multimedia project, unrelated to any films in development. A trailer was released showing events taking place two centuries before the events of Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace. It shows the Jedi at the height of their power and rise of the Nihil.[3][4]

The series was originally intended to debut with Light of the Jedi in August 2020, a few days before Star Wars Celebration 2020, but was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic to January 2021.[5] The first chapter of the novel was released in June 2020 through IGN.[6]

I found a bit more on Wookiepedia:
"I just didn't realize the Jedi ever had an official presence so far from the Core."
"It's probably High Republic Era. It was a time of greatly expanded Jedi activity throughout the galaxy."
―Luke Skywalker and Lor San Tekka
The High Republic Era was a period of time approximately centered around 232 BBY[1] in which the Galactic Republic was said to be at its height.[6] It was also a golden age for the Jedi, who were significantly more active throughout the galaxy, and a time of expansion and exploration in the Outer Rim Territories.

History
"In the days of the High Republic, the galaxy was not as settled as it is now. Areas like the Outer Rim were dangerous, hard to navigate. So the people of that time built a huge space station at great effort and expense and placed it in the center of the dark zones. It sent out a signal that acted as a sort of beacon, helping travelers find their way. They gave that station an inspiring name, fitting its purpose."
―Commander Grek
According to the stories told among Jedi Initiates, Klias Teradine was a Padawan who lived during this era and also discovered the Bogan Collection.[7] An event known as the Great Disaster, in which starships across the galaxy were suddenly kicked out of hyperspace, also occurred during this era.[8]

The Starros and San Tekka clans were known to be active during this period, as were the Storms. The Blade of Bardotta also dated from this period, as did the Hero of Hetzal.[9]

Long after the High Republic Era, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and the galactic explorer Lor San Tekka traveled to a Jedi outpost on the Outer Rim planet Elphrona, located on the edge of the Unknown Regions. Given its distance from the Core, Tekka speculated that the outpost could have been built during the High Republic Era.[2]
How does this era differ from the Old Republic era as presented in the KoToR games, Dark Horse Comics and the Old Republic Online Game?

Do you think this will make for an interesting RPG setting? What sort of PCs, allies and villains would be available in this era?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Re: High Republic Era - A good era for running campaigns?

Post by pawsplay »

Part of what ended the Old Republic era was the clash between Jedi and Sith. The Sith were vastly diminished. For the Jedi, while some of the most powerful Force-users recorded were active in this era, it was also an era when many Jedi fell to the Dark Side. The Jedi radically strengthened their strictures and organization. The Sith retreated into legend to plot and regenerate.

Return to “Star Wars”