[5E SW] D&D 5E Star Wars Conversion Index

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

[5E SW] D&D 5E Star Wars Conversion Index

Post by enderxenocide0 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:26 pm

This is the initial thread relating to my D&D 5E Star Wars Conversion project. Below you will find an index of threads that have been created so far and what I'm currently working on. Each thread I create relating to this project uses the [5E SW] tag in the title. At the bottom of this is my original post gauging the interest in this project.

---

Project Thread Index

Conversion Fundamentals
1. Basics of The Force
2. Representing Morality in Star Wars
3. Consolidating Skills
4. Breaking Down Technology - Equipment, Weapons, and Armor
5. Breaking Down Technology - Vehicles
6. Breaking Down Technology - Computers and Droids

Mechanical Details
7. Assessing Current Compatibility (WIP)
---

Original Post:

I've been thinking about attempting to alter D&D 5E to suit a Star Wars campaign. Would anyone here be interested in helping with such an endeavor?
Last edited by enderxenocide0 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: D&D 5E Star Wars Conversion

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Sounds interesting. I probably won't be able to contribute much. However, I suppose you could make use of alot of the material from the d20 Star Wars set and have most of the work revolve around converting the classes and races?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Where this idea really started was when I began running a Saga Edition game for some friends who were new to RPGs, but big fans of Star Wars. All in all, they love it, but the one player is a Jedi and often says, given they're starting at level 1, that they don't really feel like a Jedi. As in any system, there isn't much you can do at level 1. Your options are severely limited and that's to be expected. But something just didn't sit right about that with me. If we look to the movies, Luke's progression can be pretty easily seen as analogous to leveling up. He starts out with some non-Force skills, gets a bit of training and then gets a full mentor and starts to increase his abilities. Eventually, he's competent enough to take on Darth Vader. But, okay, if we use Luke as an example, we really can't say he takes a level of Jedi until he meets Yoda. Until then, he's focusing on his piloting and whining skills. And that makes a lot of sense, really, because he didn't grow up with any sort of training.

Well, this all starts to break down when we get the prequels involved. Because now we see the Jedi Academy. Now padawans and apprentices are deflecting blaster bolts well before they're in their teens. And here's where story and game crash head-on. Few players, in my experience, want to play a padawan. They want to be, at the very least, Obi-Wan in Episode I. And that's a problem. Because Obi-Wan at the start of that movie has a few levels under his belt. I'd go so far as to say he's already hit level 7 or 8 in a traditional d20 system. As a GM, you don't always want to start a newcomer much higher than level 1. But if they're not a higher level, how do they feel powerful? Well, let's throw one more thing into the mix: The Clone Wars. I love this show. I think it's great, even. One of the best parts? Ahsoka. By d20 standards, she probably starts out low in the class levels. 3? 4 at most. And over the series she gets better and better. In my opinion, she's the best example we have of "leveling up" in a Star Wars narrative, outisde of an actual game.

At the same time, even though Saga Edition is d20-lite, the player struggles a bit with the complexity of the rules and the large amount of options they have. I often regret not starting them off gaming with 5E... but then it wouldn't be Star Wars. Anyway, I look at Ahsoka and say: "I want my level 1 players to feel like they can almost do what she does." I can't do that in Saga. I can't do that in the d20 version. I've never played the d6 game, so I can't comment on that. I sort of can in the FFG Force and Destiny system. But I really like 5E.

I know, this is kind of rambling, but stick with me for a moment.

So, I'm looking at this from the approach of "I like Star Wars. I love the 5E design mentality. How do I run Star Wars using 5E in a way that preserves both the feel of Star Wars and the intentions of 5E?" So, really, my conversion could actually be pretty intense. Races are fairly straightforward. Race/species design principles differ between d20 systems negligibly. Classes... well. I actually intend to keep the general setup of the classes as they currently are. I can discuss that in more detail when I get around to writing up my preliminary ideas. Ultimately, I think The Force is the most complicated aspect of this and requires the most work to fit properly into 5E, while still allowing players to feel special. The Force also affects a wide variety of other aspects of the world and, by extension, other aspects of any system it's placed in.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:07 pm

Saga does indeed get fairly complex at higher levels, and Jedi Knights are at least level 7. Obi-Wan in Ep. I would be level 6. Luke in Ep. IV is level 2 or 3, IIRC.

GP

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 pm

3E D&D grognard and SAGA system dabbler here. My 0.02 Republic Credits:
enderxenocide0 wrote:Where this idea really started was when I began running a Saga Edition game for some friends who were new to RPGs, but big fans of Star Wars. All in all, they love it, but the one player is a Jedi and often says, given they're starting at level 1, that they don't really feel like a Jedi. As in any system, there isn't much you can do at level 1.
Yeah, if you start at level 1, then you're going to be about as good of a Jedi as Episode 1 Anankin. Jedi is a lot like Wizard that way - you're inherently saddled with the need to start out slow and weak, because you're aiming for the best possible endgame. You have to wait a long time to get a payoff that sweet. Consider how sad the Soldier character is going to be once the Jedi ends up as awesome as Qui-Gon. He passed on his chance to multiclass into Bounty Hunter and become Jango Fett, so now he's stuck as, what, the guard captain at Theed? If you want to keep all the players happy, make them play the same tier at all times (SAGA edition seems to have just a couple tiers, Force-User and Everything Else, not that I'm an expert on it). Let them start out as Soldiers, then convert them all into Jedi at the same time. Or else have them accept that necessarily, the game starts out as "everyone protect the wimpy Padawan" and ends up as "everyone hide behind the godly monk-wizard with the laser sword".
If we look to the movies, Luke's progression can be pretty easily seen as analogous to leveling up. He starts out with some non-Force skills, gets a bit of training and then gets a full mentor and starts to increase his abilities. Eventually, he's competent enough to take on Darth Vader. But, okay, if we use Luke as an example, we really can't say he takes a level of Jedi until he meets Yoda. Until then, he's focusing on his piloting and whining skills. And that makes a lot of sense, really, because he didn't grow up with any sort of training.
Sure he levels, but he's probably going from like 5th level to 15th. The extremes are pretty clearly not being shown.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Yeah, if you start at level 1, then you're going to be about as good of a Jedi as Episode 1 Anankin. Jedi is a lot like Wizard that way - you're inherently saddled with the need to start out slow and weak, because you're aiming for the best possible endgame. You have to wait a long time to get a payoff that sweet. Consider how sad the Soldier character is going to be once the Jedi ends up as awesome as Qui-Gon. He passed on his chance to multiclass into Bounty Hunter and become Jango Fett, so now he's stuck as, what, the guard captain at Theed? If you want to keep all the players happy, make them play the same tier at all times (SAGA edition seems to have just a couple tiers, Force-User and Everything Else, not that I'm an expert on it). Let them start out as Soldiers, then convert them all into Jedi at the same time. Or else have them accept that necessarily, the game starts out as "everyone protect the wimpy Padawan" and ends up as "everyone hide behind the godly monk-wizard with the laser sword".
I don't disagree with you if we're talking 3.X and Saga here. But this is why I like 5E. It has 1 tier (yes, Wizard is marginally higher than the other classes and Ranger is marginally lower, but not significantly enough to affect gameplay like we experienced in 3.X). It is a beautifully balanced system where the Wizard and Fighter manage to keep roughly equal in power levels as they level. Additionally, 5E manages to make spellcasters feel relevant even when they've run out of spell slots for the day. They way they treat cantrips and class abilities really helps. This is something I'd like to leverage for Force-users, if possible.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:32 pm

A quick question on organizing discussion for you all. Is there any particular way you'd like this to be set up? I could just post my thoughts straight in this thread, organized in an index placed in the original post, or I could separate my thoughts into distinct threads that each focus on a separate aspect of the system conversion. Is there a preference or a protocol that has already been established on these boards?

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Thread proliferation seems to be discouraged. And you can't delete your posts later. A tightly edited index is probably best.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:57 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:A quick question on organizing discussion for you all. Is there any particular way you'd like this to be set up? I could just post my thoughts straight in this thread, organized in an index placed in the original post, or I could separate my thoughts into distinct threads that each focus on a separate aspect of the system conversion. Is there a preference or a protocol that has already been established on these boards?
In my opinion, it depends on how much activity this will generate, both from yourself and how many responses you get. Maybe a handful of dedicated threads (The Class thread, the Race thread, the Ship Thread etc)? If you see that even this gets busy, I can have the Dragon Turtle split the thread further if you want :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:08 am

I would be glad to collaborate on this project. As for where to put it, I have a website I'm not doing anything with. I could organise an index there.
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:12 pm

I'll try to post some stuff shortly. I got really busy with creating things for my current Saga Edition campaign, so I pushed my conversion to the side for a bit. I've got a considerable amount of discussion on it done, though, so I can get that up for viewing soon. I appreciate the site offer, but I don't know that I need to go that far with it. The conversion is still just in the planning phases now.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:57 pm

In response to the problems with jedi... I found http://tribality.com/2015/12/14/star-wa ... -homebrew/ on Tribality. Would this work?

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:11 pm

It's not bad and is one of the ways I'm considering handling Force Users in general. While I'll get into this more in its own topic, I'll put it out there now: I don't intend to have a specific Jedi class. The Force isn't inherently different than "magic" in D&D and, as such, any class that has some supernatural ability, even if it's not spellcasting, can really be a Force user. The Jedi archetype Tribality has is an example of this. If we want to represent different types of Force users, I think archetypes are the way to go.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: [5E SW] D&D 5E Star Wars Conversion

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:31 pm

UPDATE: I've posted the first discussion topic, Basics of The Force and have updated the original post in this thread with an index to track related threads. I look forward to your thoughts!

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:34 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:UPDATE: I've posted the first discussion topic, Basics of The Force and have updated the original post in this thread with an index to track related threads. I look forward to your thoughts!
In terms of using the 5e spellcasting rules, you may want to take a look at the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide's Bladesinger. It uses a decent combination of spells and melee weapon fighting. It could work well for a Jedi. The Bladesong feature works for all the jumping and general acrobatics a Jedi does. The Song of Defense feature reminds me of when the Jedi deflect lasers off of their lightsabers, but it's a bit more limited than that. This, plus using the lightsaber from the Tribality article I posted previously, could work for a more combat based Jedi.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:34 pm

UPDATE: I've posted the next topic, Representing Morality in Star Wars. Feel free to keep posting here, but responding in the individual topics is also helpful, so we can keep discussion organized.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:38 pm

UPDATE: I've posted the next topic, Consolidating Skills. It discusses some minor changes I think are required to Skills present in 5E.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:18 pm

UPDATE: I've posted the first part of the next topic, Breaking Down Technology. This part deals with the mechanics of Equipment, Weapons, and Armor.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:59 pm

I am interested in this topic and may be able to help. my time will be limited for a while due to other committments.

I was thinking of doing a conversion to 5e as well.

I appreciate all you have done so far.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks! Feel free to drop in whenever you have a question, comment, or idea. I've got a busy schedule, as well, which is why I haven't gotten a whole lot done with this yet. I'm always happy to see what everyone else thinks :)

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm currently working on the last two Technology topics which, once completed, will complete the basic groundwork for the conversion. Once I'm done with that, I will likely start working on actual mechanics (while still evolving the ideas from the groundwork sections). Are there any other topics you'd like to see handled before I get to mechanics? And are there any mechanics you'd like to see me start with? Overall, I suppose I'm getting at: "What would you like to see next in this project?"

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:06 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:"What would you like to see next in this project?"
Playtesting.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:31 pm

willpell wrote:
enderxenocide0 wrote:"What would you like to see next in this project?"
Playtesting.
I cannot tell if you're being serious, facetious, or sardonic. If you're serious: There are clearly no mechanics yet and playtesting cannot be done without mechanics. If you'd like to suggest specific mechanics you'd like to see worked on next, that would be a viable suggestion.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:53 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:I cannot tell if you're being serious, facetious, or sardonic. If you're serious: There are clearly no mechanics yet and playtesting cannot be done without mechanics. If you'd like to suggest specific mechanics you'd like to see worked on next, that would be a viable suggestion.
Would not the mechanics be inherent in the 5E system itself?

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:41 am

Much still needs to be changed, however. Spells need to be revised into Force Powers, classes and subclasses need changed, added, and removed. The Morality system still needs to be solidified. If I'm using my expanded inspiration system, I need to design traits for it. Equipment needs to be designed. While 5E is the basis for the system and it is structurally the same system at its core, all of the specifics still need worked out. To playtest, I need those specifics. Otherwise, playtesting is meaningless since 5E has already been thoroughly playtested.

Return to “Star Wars”