Continuinties for your Star Wars RPG experiences

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

What Star Wars Continuities do you like the most?

Original Marvel Comics Star Wars (1977-86)
12%
Extended Universe:
30%
George Lucas Canon:
18%
Disney Canon:
18%
Its True, all of it:
12%
Other
9%

Total votes: 33

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Continuinties for your Star Wars RPG experiences

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:22 am

We have been touching a bit on this in the Episode VII spoiler dicussion thread, but I want to a bit more into detail on the subject of different Star Wars continuities:

1) Original Marvel Comics Star Wars (1977-86): This is the setting of the comics published by Marvel, many of which were published before all of the movies had been released. This lead to some curious inconsistencies at times, but these comics also produced some wonderful stories and characters.
2) Extended Universe: The extended universe was never recognized as official by George Lucas, but was kept internally consistent between novels, Dark Horse Comics, RPG sourcebooks, Video Games etc.
3) George Lucas Canon: George Lucas never recognized any of the comics or EU material as official. George Lucas Canon refers to the 6 movies produced by George and also perhaps his ideas submitted but never used for Episode VII-IX
4) Disney Canon: The New Canon including all the movies, the Clone Wars Animated Series and everything produced after Disney bought Lucasart.
5) Its True, all of it:
6) Other

Not sure where things like the Ewoks movies, the Droids & Ewoks Cartoons and all of that early stuff would fit into this?

Do Continuities even matter for your RPG experiences?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Continuinties for your Star Wars RPG experiences

Post by agathokles » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm probably going to ignore the Disney Canon, mostly because I don't usually play in ABY eras anyway. If I did, I'd probably prefer the Legacy Era, where the original characters are out of the game, or one of the book eras (for they have greater support, and I have WEG's Guide to Heir to the Empire).
OTOH, I use a lot of the Extended Universe, especially KotOR (CRPGs and Comics) and RPG materials for the prequel era, as well as the Completely Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia. I also have and use the "Essential" books for Galaxy maps and timeline.

GP

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:17 pm

For me, canon only matters insomuch as I can use it to build a sense of coherence in my universe. So really... I use anything and everything I want in whatever timeframe I want, as long as the campaign's internal consistency works. Right now, I've got HK-47's mind in PROXY's body as an ally to the party who are on the run right after Order 66 and are being chased by a secret Imperial fleet led by Thrawn... so canon matters little to me when it comes to running my games :P

All that said, the EU I think has some of the best (but also worst) ideas out there and a lot of it is heavily fleshed out, which is useful when I need ideas for a campaign.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:29 pm

I don't really do Star Wars roleplaying (aside from a LARP game ages back) but I voted for the George Lucas canon (that's the real core of everything that followed) the Extended Universe canon (there are a ton of ideas in there, and some are bound to be good for tabletop games) and Other.

The reason I voted for "Other" is that I think the public radio serialisations add a lot to the background of Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

The radio serialisations are not all given the same amount of expansion, but you have 13 + 10 + 6 radio shows that expand the original film plots and provide a lot more details that could help a tabletop game set in the Battle of Yarvin era. :)

I got the script books for them (although, annoyingly, a bird pooped in The Empire Strikes Back when I was reading it in the street one day :evil: ). I would recommend picking up all three of those books.

I think that enderxenocide0 has the right idea, so discounting Disney Star Wars out of hand, would be illogical. It might be set in the future, from the point of view of your tabletop game, but there are bound to be planets that you can retcon into an earlier era. I'm guessing that the Disney Era novels might actually be more useful than the movies themselves.

The Disney toy machine will probably also be extremely useful for Star Wars tabletop gaming, as there are bound to be all sorts of toys that can be stuck into a tabletop game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:45 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:For me, canon only matters insomuch as I can use it to build a sense of coherence in my universe. So really... I use anything and everything I want in whatever timeframe I want, as long as the campaign's internal consistency works. Right now, I've got HK-47's mind in PROXY's body as an ally to the party who are on the run right after Order 66 and are being chased by a secret Imperial fleet led by Thrawn... so canon matters little to me when it comes to running my games :P

All that said, the EU I think has some of the best (but also worst) ideas out there and a lot of it is heavily fleshed out, which is useful when I need ideas for a campaign.
I agree. In an RPG we don't have to be limited to a single continuity. On the other hand they can be useful starting points before we decide if we want to borrow things from any source we feel like. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Big Mac wrote: I think that enderxenocide0 has the right idea, so discounting Disney Star Wars out of hand, would be illogical. It might be set in the future, from the point of view of your tabletop game, but there are bound to be planets that you can retcon into an earlier era. I'm guessing that the Disney Era novels might actually be more useful than the movies themselves.

The Disney toy machine will probably also be extremely useful for Star Wars tabletop gaming, as there are bound to be all sorts of toys that can be stuck into a tabletop game.
I suppose this would be true mostly for the latter element -- things like Lego, if you use them (I don't -- too space-consuming, unfortunately). Planets are less likely -- I mean, there are 2000 planets in the EU already. You could sure use one or two more, but they are unlikely to make a difference (in particular, not those in Ep. VII, the next two Episodes might obviously be different). Characters and technologies, on the other hand, are not so reusable, although assuming there are sequel trilogy RPG instalments from FFG, people using the FFG game might find them useful to expand other eras (once more, not my case, since I prefer Saga).

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and it's prequel novel Catyalist: A Rogue One Story are definitely going to change things in the Star Wars roleplaying community in a big way.

And what with both of them leading up to the Battle of Yarvin, I think they could be useful sources to mine from.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm fine with official canon. The Expanded Universe became too bloated and unweildy and there are some aspects I would rather ignore. Thank you Force Awakens for saving us from the Vong. :D

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:20 am

I’m especially a fan of (and my RPG experiences mainly take into account):

70s Adventures of Luke Skywalker — chiefly the movie Star Wars plus Marvel Comics 7-37

and

90s Star Wars — chiefly The Original Trilogy plus the five Thrawn novels
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:36 pm

I struggle quite a lot to keep up with all stuff that is in George Lucas Canon movies... no need to add much more...
Last edited by Yaztromo on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 pm

When I start my Star Wars campaign, I will only use the Christmas Special.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 pm

RobJN wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 pm
:lol:

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 am

RobJN wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 pm
You FIEND!

Return to “Star Wars”