Episode VII Rathtar is based on D&D Otyugh?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Episode VII Rathtar is based on D&D Otyugh?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:21 am

YouTube user Collection THX1138 says that the Rathar monster, from Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens is "ripped off" from the Otyugh from D&D:
Collection THX1138 wrote:FORCE AWAKENS Rathtar Rip Off of Dungeons & Dragons Otyugh Monsters?

This is an observation I made the first time I saw Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens. The Rathtar monster reminded me a lot of Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons creation the Otyugh. I show illustrations form the Internet and D&D Monster Manual stat blocks and Miniatures. Are they separated at birth? Have fun with this. MTFBWY!
Is he right? Do you think that the 3rd Edition Otyugh stats would work in the d20 System versions of Star Wars rules? Or would the Rathar need to be made more or less powerful than the Otyugh?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Episode VII Rathtar is based on D&D Otyugh?

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:43 am

They seem rather similar, but my impression is that the Rathars were larger? Also, Otyughs are associated with disease and waste, but I never got anything like that from the Rathars. The Rathars on the other hand have this tendency to roll around. I suppose Otyugh could be moving in that way too, but I never thought of them that way.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Havard wrote:They seem rather similar, but my impression is that the Rathars were larger? Also, Otyughs are associated with disease and waste, but I never got anything like that from the Rathars. The Rathars on the other hand have this tendency to roll around. I suppose Otyugh could be moving in that way too, but I never thought of them that way.
Even if they do work differently, I'm guessing that a GM could use the same minis for both creatures. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 pm

Personally, rathgars remind me of shoggoths, except for having a more definite form.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:58 am

It's vaguely similar, but by no means the same. I also disagree with Cracked.com's decision to call them (and the creature in the first Abrams Trek movie) as "vagina dentata monsters". I don't think the Rathtar even has teeth in its throat, just a fanged mouth which is generally horizontal; the creature on Kirk's dropoff planet is closer, but likewise has a fairly round neck that rather defeats the comparison.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:47 am

My first thought was "Wait, Rey's not wearing one of those sailor school uniforms...."
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Return to “Star Wars”