Edge of Empire Dice Mechanics

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Edge of Empire Dice Mechanics

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 am

I've been watching the Pencils & Parsecs YouTube Show, but the rules sound incredibly complicated!

Can someone explain the difference between the different dice, how they are consulted etc?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Edge of Empire Dice Mechanics

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Everybody into the dice pool!

It looks like Fantasy Flight Games' beginner box has something of a rundown on the die mechanic:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... -the-core/

Looks needlessly complex to me. (Also: BUY OUR DICE (only three easy payments!) SO YOU CAN PLAY OUR GAME™) :|
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm

It definitely takes some getting used to. Once you've been rolling the dice for a while, it becomes more second-nature. You spot the symbols that cancel each other -- plus the dice are all colored differently, so that's another visual cue -- remove them from the table, and then use the remaining dice to tell the story. It requires more improv than more traditional games, where success and failure are generally binary. What happens when you have a success with a threat? Maybe your droid was able to slice the Imperial databank and get the information you needed, but it didn't go unnoticed. A failure with an advantage for that situation? The droid couldn't find the data you were looking for, but there's a princess being held in the detention area who you may be interested in. Sure, good GMs do this type of thing in more traditional systems. Failing forward has definitely become more popular in recent years, for example. But with this system, the GM is given some extra prompts to help imagine where that dice roll leads the story.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Tim Baker wrote:Failing forward has definitely become more popular in recent years, for example. But with this system, the GM is given some extra prompts to help imagine where that dice roll leads the story.
Yep, that is an interesting concept I started using in my traditional games a few years ago. I got tired of having games halt because of a failed «find secret door» roll. For exemple, a thief will always open the lock but if the roll is bad something more or less negative happens - dictated by the level of failure. The thief is poisoned by a dart, near by ennemies are warned by an alarm, etc.

I want to play at least one game with this story dice system.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • Working on : D&D5e in Calidar • Contemplating solo gaming with no DM.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:33 pm

shesheyan wrote:I want to play at least one game with this story dice system.
If Star Wars isn't your thing, consider looking at the Genesys system. It's the generalized version of the same game engine that powers Edge of the Empire. It still uses the weird dice (although the ones for Genesys don't use Star Wars symbols, so pick up the correct dice to avoid having to translate), and offers some bare bones setting content for several different genres. The full fantasy campaign setting for Genesys, Realms of Terrinoth, will be out later this year, if fantasy is your genre of choice.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
shesheyan wrote:I want to play at least one game with this story dice system.
If Star Wars isn't your thing, consider looking at the Genesys system. It's the generalized version of the same game engine that powers Edge of the Empire. It still uses the weird dice (although the ones for Genesys don't use Star Wars symbols, so pick up the correct dice to avoid having to translate), and offers some bare bones setting content for several different genres. The full fantasy campaign setting for Genesys, Realms of Terrinoth, will be out later this year, if fantasy is your genre of choice.
My GM bought Genesys. I'm trying to convince the other players to try it out !
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • Working on : D&D5e in Calidar • Contemplating solo gaming with no DM.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Tim Baker wrote:A failure with an advantage for that situation? The droid couldn't find the data you were looking for, but there's a princess being held in the detention area who you may be interested in.
C'mon. Rescue the princess? In a Sci Fi story? :roll:

Next thing you're going to tell me is that they have knights, who are still using swords instead of a nice, trusty blaster....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Return to “Star Wars”