Solo: A Star Wars Story - Will it explore new elements useful in an RPG?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Solo: A Star Wars Story - Will it explore new elements useful in an RPG?

Post by Havard » Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 pm

What potential do you think the upcoming Solo movie has for detailing things that could be useful in a game? I like the pre Rebellion/early Rebellion era quite a bit. I also like the idea of a game focusing mainly on scoundrels, smugglers and the like.

What do you think? What do you hope this movie will do from an RPG inspirational point of view? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story - Will it explore new elements useful in an RPG?

Post by agathokles » Tue May 01, 2018 10:49 pm

No big hopes here... most likely it will contradict the pre-existing material from the EU on that era, so the net result will not be much.

GP

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 am

Yeah, yeah - EU etc blah.

Sorry to possibly offend, but some of us have never read or seen any Star Wars other than the movies (I got partway through one - ONE - novel back in the mid-1980s, and read the novelization of the original movie... but that's all.

The EU is a mythical thing, I've heard rumors, but haven't seen any facts to indicate just what it is.
(slight exaggeration, I've read a few Wookipedia entries).

So ANYTHING in the movie could be great for me.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 02, 2018 11:56 am

I have never read anything of the EU either, but I disagree. The abundance of videogames, novels and comics could have been used to enrich the setting and tell better stories. Throw all away to do your own thing just shows disrespect towards older authors, older fans and lazyness or/and lack of willing to pay people to do research/pay established authors.
The result is a movie quite bad and full of plot holes like Episode VII. I've not yet gathered the will to watch the VIII and I may not ever gather the will to watch Solo, as I expect the worst :)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 02, 2018 12:25 pm

Sturm wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:56 am
I have never read anything of the EU either, but I disagree. The abundance of videogames, novels and comics could have been used to enrich the setting and tell better stories. Throw all away to do your own thing just shows disrespect towards older authors, older fans and lazyness or/and lack of willing to pay people to do research/pay established authors.
I'm more into the EU -- I've read the KotOR comics and played both computer games, and I've read at least a dozen novels and several other comics, played a few other computer games like X-Wing and Dark Forces, and seen the animated Clone Wars series, not to mention used/own RPG materials from WEG D6 Star Wars, D20 and Saga, all of which fall in the EU.

Obviously the new movies are designed for people like BlackBat242, who are only interested in the movies themselves (and then mostly the original trilogy, since the prequel trilogy is choke full of EU references). That's of course a perfectly reasonable market strategy for Disney, since the majority of people have no exposure to SW except the movies and general media exposure.

Still, the above fact does not change the lack of value for RPG players -- and note that, as mentioned before, all of the RPG elements introduced in the various sourcebooks are part of the EU (and generally coherent with the novels, comics, computer games, etc.), and are lost under the Disney canon.
Thus, while BlackBat242's position might seem to reflect a larger number of people, it does so only in the context of the movies' audience, not in the context of RPG players, where most people are likely to have played/own materials from one of the pre-Disney games (at least WEG D6, D20 or Saga; I'm not familiar with the Edge of the Empire and related games).
So his considerations only apply to RPG players who have no previous exposure to any SW RPG, and are not interested in using any material from previous SW RPGs either.
The result is a movie quite bad and full of plot holes like Episode VII. I've not yet gathered the will to watch the VIII and I may not ever gather the will to watch Solo, as I expect the worst :)
Yes, that of course makes everything worse. Like you, I didn't like Episode VII at all, found Rogue One acceptable, but not better than the corresponding EU storyline (so no need for me to void pre-existing materials to fit it), and I've avoided Episode VIII entirely (and from what I hear, it was a good idea).

GP

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Ah I forgot KotOR and Clone Wars, that's a bit of the EU I know :)

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 am
Sorry to possibly offend, but some of us have never read or seen any Star Wars other than the movies
Well, it’s not too late. :) I never read any Star Wars literature until after TFA came out. I really liked TFA, but it left me craving more classic Luke Skywalker stories. I found them—and a Tolkienesque masterpiece of writing/storytelling/worldbuilding—in the works by Zahn and Daley. :o
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat May 05, 2018 5:33 am

Falconer wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 pm
BlackBat242 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:06 am
Sorry to possibly offend, but some of us have never read or seen any Star Wars other than the movies
Well, it’s not too late. :) I never read any Star Wars literature until after TFA came out. I really liked TFA, but it left me craving more classic Luke Skywalker stories. I found them—and a Tolkienesque masterpiece of writing/storytelling/worldbuilding—in the works by Zahn and Daley. :o
Zahn is probably the best writer Star Wars has had other than Brackett (who wrote the first draft of ESB). His first novel trilogy was heavily sourced from the WEG game; when he asked for a setting bible, Lucasfilm sent him the RPG and sourcebooks! In a distinctly meta turn of events, the RPG then had sourcebooks based on the novels based on their sourcebooks, and Zahn also collaborated with WEG on the Darkstryder Campaign. If you can only read one Star Wars author, make it Zahn.

As far as the earlier expressed concerns, I don't think there's much in the EU for Solo to contradict - just the Daley Han Solo Trilogy and the Smith Lando Calrissian Trilogy (OK, technically the Droids comics as well, but...it was Droids). The Solo and Calrissian trilogies were fairly standard pulp-influenced novels that had some interesting characters but nothing really critical to later writings. They basically established that Solo's a smuggler who's actually a nice guy and Calrissian's a gambler who's actually a nice guy. I suppose it might contradict backstory from something in the Vong invasion arc, but I couldn't drudge my way through those, so I don't know (and wouldn't really care, since in my opinion that's a terrible arc anyway).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Excellent points The Dark!

I also think, when it comes to an RPG, there are alot of times when movie might not matter that much, unless your player demand that you stay true to a single version in every single aspect of the universe.

For instance, I dont see any reason why a campaign that is mostly true to the EU could not make use of certain vehicles, ships, alien races and locations from the more recent movies, even if the group agreed that events would go down differently than in the Disney era movies.

I never read the Han Solo or Lando Calrissan trilogies. I will keep my eyes up for those in used book stores! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 am

Well, it turns out that the movie has a bunch of stuff that could be used in an RPG - from rival criminal organizations, to the group that one day will become the Rebellion, to the reappearance of someone from the prequels... whose presence can only be explained by including some EU canon!

I rather liked it!
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 am
Well, it turns out that the movie has a bunch of stuff that could be used in an RPG - from rival criminal organizations, to the group that one day will become the Rebellion, to the reappearance of someone from the prequels... whose presence can only be explained by including some EU canon!

I rather liked it!
I rather liked it too. A solid 7 on 10. Not sure when Ron Howard took over as director but the movie feels unified. The trio of actors for Han, Lando and Qi'Ra worked for me. Woody is excellent as usual. A SW movie without the Force, Jedis or the Skywalkers. It was refreshing to watch.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon May 28, 2018 11:31 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm
BlackBat242 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 am

I rather liked it!
I rather liked it too. A solid 7 on 10. Not sure when Ron Howard took over as director but the movie feels unified. The trio of actors for Han, Lando and Qi'Ra worked for me. Woody is excellent as usual. A SW movie without the Force, Jedis or the Skywalkers. It was refreshing to watch.
I don't think it's the best of the post-Lucas films, but I think it's the most fun.

As far as canon goes, I'll just note that three television series are canon: Clone Wars, Rebels, and Forces of Destiny. Also canon are about two dozen novels (it'll be exactly two dozen in July when Thrawn: Alliances is released).

Return to “Star Wars”