Jon Favreau's Live Action Star Wars Set 7 Years After RotJ

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Jon Favreau's Live Action Star Wars Set 7 Years After RotJ

Post by Havard » Fri May 11, 2018 6:25 pm

https://omegaunderground.com/2018/05/10 ... fter-rotj/

Will it bring back any of the concepts WEG introduced from the New Republic Era?

Are you excited to see a Live Action Star Wars series at last?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Falconer
Troll

Re: Jon Favreau's Live Action Star Wars Set 7 Years After RotJ

Post by Falconer » Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 am

I’ve been wanting to see a Star Wars live action series for a long time—at least since one was first announced in 2005, but even before. I like the live action more than animation, and I like TV more than movies, so, it could be great! I like the timeframe, too. Makes me wonder if it could be based on the Thrawn Trilogy, or the X-Wing series, or both. Or maybe the TV series could be X-Wing and the Benioff/Weiss movies could be Thrawn. That would be rad! However, based on what they’ve done so far, it doesn’t seem like Disney is too interested in adapting the novels. Still, Thrawn is still alive and bound to be up to *something*. (And Benioff/Weiss are known for adapting novels…)
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Falconer wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 am
I’ve been wanting to see a Star Wars live action series for a long time—at least since one was first announced in 2005, but even before. I like the live action more than animation, and I like TV more than movies, so, it could be great! I like the timeframe, too. Makes me wonder if it could be based on the Thrawn Trilogy, or the X-Wing series, or both. Or maybe the TV series could be X-Wing and the Benioff/Weiss movies could be Thrawn. That would be rad! However, based on what they’ve done so far, it doesn’t seem like Disney is too interested in adapting the novels. Still, Thrawn is still alive and bound to be up to *something*. (And Benioff/Weiss are known for adapting novels…)
I agree, this is a very fascinating era. One of my issues with TFA is that its world building is so fuzzy. The original trilogy could get away with a simple world building because it used familiar tropes. Empire: Evil. Industrial. Militaristic. Rebels: Good, human, diverse.

But TFA's approach to tropes was more confusing because the First Order was sort of like the Empire and the Resistance was sort of like the Rebellion, but in both cases really not.

I think this series can be a chance to remedy that, much like the Clone Wars adressed many of the problems with the prequels.

I like how Disney Marvel has approached the comics, borrowing characters and concepts, but changing the story to create something new. I'd love it if they used Thrawn as a main villain, but I wonder how they will get around not featuring the original cast?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Wed May 30, 2018 6:41 pm

They’ve already recast Han and Lando and Chewie and Mon Mothma. Just need a few more.

I know this is ridiculously, hopelessly fanboyish, but, I’d love for Natalie Portman to come back as Leia.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Falconer wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:41 pm
I know this is ridiculously, hopelessly fanboyish, but, I’d love for Natalie Portman to come back as Leia.
OMG! That would be amazing.

I'm extremely happy SW is going into live action TV format. Its the best medium when you want to create complex narrative with believable character development. I was never able watch the animated series. For some reason I always got up and did something else or fell asleep after a few episodes.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:09 am

shesheyan wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 pm
Falconer wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:41 pm
OMG! That would be amazing.

I'm extremely happy SW is going into live action TV format. Its the best medium when you want to create complex narrative with believable character development. I was never able watch the animated series. For some reason I always got up and did something else or fell asleep after a few episodes.
There were many different animated series for Star Wars. I would say that parts of the Clone Wars was rather good and what I have seen of Rebels has been great.

A live action show has potential, but it has to be able to feel like Star Wars. I'm sure they can do that now, but it probably wont be cheap :D

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Star Wars”