Clone Wars Season 7 and your game

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Clone Wars Season 7 and your game

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 pm

Are you excited that Clone Wars are saved?

Will you use material from the older seasons or season 7 in your games?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Clone Wars Season 7 and your game

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:03 pm

I was really surprised to see Lucasfilm resurrect Clone Wars. They'd generally been downplaying the prequel trilogy for years, since Disney bought them. That being said, I was disappointed that the series didn't get the chance to wrap up a lot of loose ends. I'm glad it'll get the chance, but I'm not sure I'll subscribe to the Disney streaming service for it.

I'm thinking about running a Star Wars d6 game, but it's unlikely it'll take place in the prequel portion of the Star Wars timeline.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:01 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:03 pm
I'm thinking about running a Star Wars d6 game, but it's unlikely it'll take place in the prequel portion of the Star Wars timeline.
I think 99% of all Star Wars RPG campaigns are set in the Rebellion Era for a reason. Unless you play alot of Star Wars and really want to try something else, that is a great era to run your games.

OTOH, looking at the show Rebels, it could be interesting to start a campaign towards the end of the Prequel Era and have most of its focus happen during the early rebellion? Alternately start at the early Rebellion era, but have some of the older starting PCs create backstories from that period?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 am

Havard wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:01 am
looking at the show Rebels, it could be interesting to start a campaign towards the end of the Prequel Era and have most of its focus happen during the early rebellion? Alternately start at the early Rebellion era, but have some of the older starting PCs create backstories from that period?
I never gave it a lot of thought, but I've always considered Rebels as early Rebellion era, rather than late prequel era. I'm not sure where that line is drawn, exactly, but with Vader, stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, Y-wings, A-wings, and other things recognizeable from the original trilogy, it definitely feels like it belongs there. It has Asoka, Rex, the pirate whose name escapes me, and some prequel elements as well, but that's less prevalent. I would definitely consider running a game that takes place at the same time as Rebels. I may even prefer that to the full-fledged war against the Empire.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:14 am

Havard wrote:
I think 99% of all Star Wars RPG campaigns are set in the Rebellion Era for a reason. Unless you play alot of Star Wars and really want to try something else, that is a great era to run your games.
Really? None of my campaigns have been set in the Rebellion Era. I've used the KotOR and prequel era instead.

Looking at the published modules, Dawn of Defiance is set in the time between Episodes III and VI, and many d6 campaigns are set in the New Republic Era.
KotOR was by far the most popular Saga era book, while d20 had a lot of content set between Episodes I and II -- including the Living Force organised play campaign.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 am
Havard wrote:
looking at the show Rebels, it could be interesting to start a campaign towards the end of the Prequel Era and have most of its focus happen during the early rebellion? Alternately start at the early Rebellion era, but have some of the older starting PCs create backstories from that period?
I never gave it a lot of thought, but I've always considered Rebels as early Rebellion era, rather than late prequel era. I'm not sure where that line is drawn, exactly, but with Vader, stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, Y-wings, A-wings, and other things recognizeable from the original trilogy, it definitely feels like it belongs there. It has Asoka, Rex, the pirate whose name escapes me, and some prequel elements as well, but that's less prevalent. I would definitely consider running a game that takes place at the same time as Rebels. I may even prefer that to the full-fledged war against the Empire.
Sorry for the confusion. I agree that Rebels is set in the early Rebellion Era. However, the show (especially from season 2 and onwards) clearly draws on elements from the Prequels and Clone Wars series since many of the characters and storylines connect to the decades before the show begins. I think many Rebellion Era campaigns have done so, but of course we now have much more material to draw from if the players and GM's wish to do so.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:38 am

agathokles wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:14 am
Havard wrote:
Really? None of my campaigns have been set in the Rebellion Era. I've used the KotOR and prequel era instead.

Looking at the published modules, Dawn of Defiance is set in the time between Episodes III and VI, and many d6 campaigns are set in the New Republic Era.
KotOR was by far the most popular Saga era book, while d20 had a lot of content set between Episodes I and II -- including the Living Force organised play campaign.
You make some good points there. 99% is probably not correct, although I would wager it was the most popular setting.

At one point I was planning on running a campaign in the New Republic (EU) or take my Rebellion Era campaign there if the PCs were going to make it through the Battle of Endor, but neither of those things panned out.

I'm not sure I would be able to run a KotOR campaign, but I would love to play in one.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Star Wars”