D&D Saga Edition [Star Wars Saga conversion]

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

D&D Saga Edition [Star Wars Saga conversion]

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Here's a neat conversion of D&D to the Saga system. It's pretty interesting and is quite basic.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: D&D Saga Edition [Star Wars Saga conversion]

Post by Hugin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Interesting. What are the main distinction between SAGA system and the 3.x/d20 system? They appear very similar with SAGA having the addition of traits and maneuvers. Would it be fair to call SAGA a d20 variation?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Hugin wrote:Would it be fair to call SAGA a d20 variation?
Yes. As a matter of fact SAGA was what a lot of gamers were hoping for with 4E from what I've read on various gaming boards.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Not bad. Here are some comments.

I think the Human Talent Tree is too powerful and intrudes into other Trees, especially when it gives the ability to reroll skills -- this is typically obtained through specific talents, like Acute Senses, in Saga, and allowing an unlimited set of rerolls to any races detracts from the class talent trees, IMO.

The management of armor in Saga is designed to favor unarmored adventurers, which is ok in the frame of Star Wars, where only the Mandalorians (Boba Fett, Rohlan Dyre), or minion type creatures (Mandalorian soldiers, Stormtroopers) use armor. I would give "Armored Defense" to all classes, or at least make the talent tree available to all classes.

The Adventurer class is a mix of the Jedi (Guardian/Lightsaber combat) and Scout class. I think it would be better to use the Scout to produce a Ranger class, and the Jedi fighting talents for a swashbuckler type Fighter or Rogue.

It's a pity that the Noble class was dropped entirely.

Spells are handled like Force Powers (i.e., like 4e encounter powers). It is a reasonable way to deal with them, but it would be nice to have a more traditional mage class, with memorization.

Skills are well done, essentially unchanged from Saga. Knowledge is a bit weird in that the choice of subskills matches closely that of Saga, which is designed for a different type of game. For example, Knowledge (Arcane), Knowledge (Cosmology) and Spellcraft seem a bit too much. I'd probably merge the three, and require that Clerics use Religion instead of Spellcraft for spellcasting.

Finally, weapon damage should be changed to reflect Saga math -- in Star Wars SE, most weapons do 2d6 to 3d8 damage. Obviously, these are lightsabers and blasters, while "primitive" weapons inflict the standard D&D damage, but primitive characters often have ways to make up (e.g., Gamorreans have a racial talent that allows them to add 1d to primitive weapon damage).
These kind of talent, or equivalent changes to weapon damage, should be available to PCs (especially Warriors and Rogues) in a fantasy Saga game, IMO.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Hugin wrote:Interesting. What are the main distinction between SAGA system and the 3.x/d20 system? They appear very similar with SAGA having the addition of traits and maneuvers. Would it be fair to call SAGA a d20 variation?
TAD is correct. Saga is mid way between 3e and 4e -- it has 4e style "encounter powers" (Force Powers), but normal attacks for other classes, with bonuses similar to 4e Essentials stances given by many talents and feats (e.g., aiming bonuses that consume one or more actions). Also, multiple attacks are toned down with respect to 3e, there is no Armor Class (attacks generally target Reflex, and armor contributes to Reflex and Fortitude).

Talents replace entirely class features, so these are by design replaceable in Saga -- the SWSE Soldier may map to a ranged fighter similar to a 4e Ranger, or to a typical Fighter or even a Monk or a Cleric (if you take Force Talents instead of class talents).
Since there is no class-based spellcasting, multiclass characters are much more viable in Saga (actually in SWSE, even the Jedi class has only a minimal advantage over the others in terms of powers -- it gets the prerequisite feat "Force Sensitivity" for free, and that's all).

Like 3e, character (and NPC) creation tend to get hideously complex at high levels, but there are some elements of 4e design, like minions (non-heroic characters in Saga) and monster squads/swarms, that help reduce the complexity on the DM's side.

Finally, the Skill Challenge mechanics of 4e are also available, though not in the core rules. Prestige classes are 3e-style. With respect to 3e, there is also a greater focus on cooperation, with the Noble class sharing some design ideas with the 4e Warlord.

GP

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:20 am

Interesting. Thanks so much for the overview. I've heard of the SW/SE before and wondered about it.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 pm

I think I would prefer this over 4E.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 pm

Saga is definitely viable as a fantasy game, even though the Force mirrors better a psionics system rather than a magic system, and some adjustments are needed to cope with the space opera/sci-fi elements (e.g., computer hacking talents).
There are other fantasy Saga conversions. I like this one:
http://gneech.com/swordandsorcery/
but others may have more attractive features in specific departments.

GP

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:48 am

Thank you, nice one!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Star Wars”