[Midgard] Clean "forum sized" logo needed

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...

[Midgard] Clean "forum sized" logo needed

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:30 pm

There are quite a few threads for Wolfgang Baur's Midgard campaign setting at The Piazza. If the community here continues to grow, there may well be a bespoke forum at some point in the next year or so.

If we do get a forum we are going to need a forum logo for it.

Does anyone know of a clean version of the logo for the setting?

EDIT: The Kobold Press page called "A Bridge to Another World" has one that looks pretty clean to me:
http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/7InchFire-1024x227.png

I wonder how well that will crunch down to 90x30 PNG format.

EDIT 2: I'm seeing a couple of variations in the logo. Looks like Kobold Press has a "Midgard Campaign Setting" logo (with the text "Campaign Setting" below the original logo) and a "Midgard Adventures" logo (with the text "Adventures" below the original logo). However I don't think the additional text in either of those variant logos would be readable at 90x30 format, so the logo above is probably the best one.

EDIT3: Sorry. It is 90 x 30 PNG format.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Midgard] Clean "forum sized" logo needed

Postby Isuru » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Wolfgang put a bunch of different preliminary designs for a vote some years ago. That is one of several variations on the final logo design. Jonathan Roberts has the main variants up on his site, they are here:

Fire: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/logos-and- ... bpreview1/
Gold: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/logos-and- ... bpreview1/
Ice: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/logos-and- ... preview-2/
Black, solid: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2011/01/mi ... /#more-692

Jonathan Roberts explained the reason for each variation. It seems the Ice logo was meant to be legible at a smaller size (thus the larger dragon), so that may be a good candidate for the forum logo.

Or we could always ask Wolfgang for an appropriate graphic.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Isuru wrote:Wolfgang put a bunch of different preliminary designs for a vote some years ago. That is one of several variations on the final logo design. Jonathan Roberts has the main variants up on his site, they are here:

Fire: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/logos-and- ... bpreview1/
Gold: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/logos-and- ... bpreview1/
Ice: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/logos-and- ... preview-2/
Black, solid: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2011/01/mi ... /#more-692

Jonathan Roberts explained the reason for each variation. It seems the Ice logo was meant to be legible at a smaller size (thus the larger dragon), so that may be a good candidate for the forum logo.

Thanks Isuru. It looks like Fire is the offiical logo, but Gold might work better if the borders of Fire do not crunch down well.

Isuru wrote:Or we could always ask Wolfgang for an appropriate graphic.

True. But I don't want to get Wolfgang all excited, before I've actually got enough traffic from Midgard fans to be allowed to add a Midgard forum. I still need some more threads/posts/posters.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:True. But I don't want to get Wolfgang all excited, before I've actually got enough traffic from Midgard fans to be allowed to add a Midgard forum. I still need some more threads/posts/posters.

Good point.

A thought did occur to me when looking through the Midgard forum search/highlight you included in your OP.

The Kobold Press forums were closed down due to an invasion of spam ninjas, from there the community was shifted over to the G+ Community. There are some people who prefer a regular forum format over (or in addition to) a social media community. The Piazza could be a great supplement to the G+ group.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Isuru wrote:
Big Mac wrote:True. But I don't want to get Wolfgang all excited, before I've actually got enough traffic from Midgard fans to be allowed to add a Midgard forum. I still need some more threads/posts/posters.

Good point.

:)

Isuru wrote:A thought did occur to me when looking through the Midgard forum search/highlight you included in your OP.

The Kobold Press forums were closed down due to an invasion of spam ninjas, from there the community was shifted over to the G+ Community.

I really do hate spammers. I've seen a few otherwise good forums get swamped because the admin staff just could not figure out how to block spambots and the moderators could not delete their posts fast enough. :evil: I remember a time when the Scarred Lands forum at The Piazza was the second most active Scarred Lands forum. I wanted it to do well, but I didn't want to see it win first place in the search engine ranks because it's larger "rival" got blasted to bits. ;(

Isuru wrote:There are some people who prefer a regular forum format over (or in addition to) a social media community. The Piazza could be a great supplement to the G+ group.

Well there is a "What came first? The chicken or the egg?" question. ;)

If we already had a Midgard forum, some of those people might have already signed up to use it.

And if we already had those Midgard fans at The Piazza, replying to the existing threads and starting new ones, we might already have gotten enough threads/posts/users to have "earned" a Midgard forum.

It sounds like you are already in the Google+ community. Perhaps you might want to let them know about the existing Midgard threads we have here, let them know they would be very welcome at The Piazza, and then invite them to join and bump the existing Midgard threads or start new topics with a "[Midgard]" tag in the Other Worlds forum. :)

I bet that if you could get five or so people to sign up, and if they all used the tag-search trick, they could help build up the "Midgard community at The Piazza" pretty quickly. :D
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Thu May 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:Well there is a "What came first? The chicken or the egg?" question. ;)

If we already had a Midgard forum, some of those people might have already signed up to use it.

And if we already had those Midgard fans at The Piazza, replying to the existing threads and starting new ones, we might already have gotten enough threads/posts/users to have "earned" a Midgard forum.

It sounds like you are already in the Google+ community. Perhaps you might want to let them know about the existing Midgard threads we have here, let them know they would be very welcome at The Piazza, and then invite them to join and bump the existing Midgard threads or start new topics with a "[Midgard]" tag in the Other Worlds forum. :)

I bet that if you could get five or so people to sign up, and if they all used the tag-search trick, they could help build up the "Midgard community at The Piazza" pretty quickly. :D

I linked this thread to he who would be most interested in this development and the response was very positive. ;)
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Isuru wrote:I linked this thread to he who would be most interested in this development and the response was very positive. ;)

I'm not sure if "he who would be most interested" is the same person as the forum member with user number 3175* but he already said to me that he would post here if there was a Midgard forum.

* = Ironically he has the forum rank of Kobold :lol:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Sat May 03, 2014 2:49 am

Not sure how to tell user number.
A post went up on the Midgard Facebook page and I believe we've already seen a new member or two directed here. Waiting for an announcement to the G+ community. Maybe a mention on the newsletter would be helpful. Either way, this should grow organically.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Wed May 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Isuru wrote:Not sure how to tell user number.

Sorry. That is me playing with the URLs that the forum software (phpBB) makes for The Piazza. :)

Here is the URL of your user page (where you get "&u=3176" to tell the forum what profile is yours):
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3176

Here is the URL of my user page (where I get "&u=189" instead):
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=189

If you take away your number or my number and add back 3175 you get this URL:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3175

And that is a user, I would love to see over here, talking to Midgard fans in a Midgard forum. :D

Like I said, it is ironic that the user I mentioned has a Kobold forum rank. ;)

Isuru wrote:A post went up on the Midgard Facebook page and I believe we've already seen a new member or two directed here. Waiting for an announcement to the G+ community. Maybe a mention on the newsletter would be helpful. Either way, this should grow organically.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more Midgard fans here. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Old Man » Sat May 17, 2014 4:23 am

Hey folks,

Am a forum-style fan (over the G+ format) and would love to see Midgard discussions/content here.

Regards,
Old Man
Old Man
Orc

Postby Havard » Sat May 17, 2014 11:48 am

Old Man wrote:Hey folks,

Am a forum-style fan (over the G+ format) and would love to see Midgard discussions/content here.

Regards,
Old Man

Hey Old Man! Welcome to The Piazza. :)

There seems to be a growing interest in Midgard here with more discussion threads appearing recently. If we can get enough discussion about it going, chances are Midgard too can get its own forum here. I'd love to see that happen myself.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Havard wrote:
Old Man wrote:Am a forum-style fan (over the G+ format) and would love to see Midgard discussions/content here.

Hey Old Man! Welcome to The Piazza. :)

There seems to be a growing interest in Midgard here with more discussion threads appearing recently. If we can get enough discussion about it going, chances are Midgard too can get its own forum here. I'd love to see that happen myself.

I would second what Havard said:

Firstly, welcome to The Piazza! And second, just start threads in Other Worlds that start off with a "[Midgard]" tag. If people like you build the threads for a Midgard forum, the forum will follow.

(If you want to find Midgard threads before there is a forum here a search for the "[Midgard]" tag will help.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:05 pm

This page has a nice clean logo in png format that could be resized for use at the Midgard forum here.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Isuru » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:33 pm

That's a good one, hopefully it's in a clean enough format for the forums.

If not, I'm sure KP would be more than willing to provide a properly formatted one to benefit the fans here. Should I begin the Kobold summoning incantation?

Thought the initial discussion provided enough potential logos for inclusion in the setting roll and everyone was just waiting for the next update, but seems the Conan forums have since sprang fully formed with logo included. Appears Midgard is in a similar logo-less situation as the Star Wars subforum, in good company to be sure, but difficult to not notice the gap between the Calidar and Conan subforums.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:This page has a nice clean logo in png format that could be resized for use at the Midgard forum here.

Thanks Angel. But that one is already linked to in the original post. It isn't a new logo.

Isuru wrote:That's a good one, hopefully it's in a clean enough format for the forums.

If not, I'm sure KP would be more than willing to provide a properly formatted one to benefit the fans here. Should I begin the Kobold summoning incantation?

The forum needs a 90x30 PNG version of the logo, with any background elements removed, to make the logo "clean".

Isuru wrote:Thought the initial discussion provided enough potential logos for inclusion in the setting roll and everyone was just waiting for the next update, but seems the Conan forums have since sprang fully formed with logo included. Appears Midgard is in a similar logo-less situation as the Star Wars subforum, in good company to be sure, but difficult to not notice the gap between the Calidar and Conan subforums.

The Conan situation is interesting. :)

The truth of the matter is that there has been a level of behind the scenes talk about campaign settings that are not quite ready for a bespoke forum. Conan has been almost ready for a forum for some time and the forum logo was actually created long before the forum was made. Midgard becoming popular, and getting a formal forum request was more of a surprise. But I would love to see Midgard and Star Wars get their logos uploaded.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:Thanks Angel. But that one is already linked to in the original post. It isn't a new logo.
My apologies, I was unaware.

Isuru wrote:If not, I'm sure KP would be more than willing to provide a properly formatted one to benefit the fans here. Should I begin the Kobold summoning incantation?
I say give it a go.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Isuru » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:32 am

Understood regarding the Conan forums springing forth ready formed. Surprised it wasn't made a forum much earlier to be honest. It is one of the most venerable fantasy characters and settings in the genre and had no shortage of game adaptations.

I have cast my kobold summoning and hope the great Kobold-in-Chief has the time to respond. As I understand it, KP is deep into developing and editing the Advanced Races Compendium as well as preparing for GenCon and the release of Southlands.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby ben_mcfarland » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:39 pm

will this work?

(it's my avatar for the moment, because that's fastest.)

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine
ben_mcfarland
Goblin

Postby Isuru » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:24 pm

I think the specifications outlined above indicates a graphic without undue background elements. In Midgard's case, it would be just the text and effects without the black background, so the logo blends in better with the overall forum theme.

Is there something from the fan kit that could be co-opted for use in this context.

I haven't gotten an email response from the Kobold-in-Chief, but I emailed him shortly before the launch of Southlands and then GenCon came after that. Probably got lost in the shuffle. Perhaps Ben will have better connectivity.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Isuru wrote:I haven't gotten an email response from the Kobold-in-Chief, but I emailed him shortly before the launch of Southlands and then GenCon came after that. Probably got lost in the shuffle. Perhaps Ben will have better connectivity.
Perhaps if someone could get in contact with him on a Social Media platform (Google, Twitter, etc.)?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:30 am

ben_mcfarland wrote:will this work?

-Ben.

That looks really awesome, Ben, but it's 90 x 25 pixels, rather than 90 x 30. (Given that some campaign settings are taller or wider than others, we usually have to have some transparant rows or columns around logos to make them all line up.)

I'll contact Ashtagon to ask if she is able to add in 5 pixels of transparency above and below this.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:49 am

Isuru wrote:I think the specifications outlined above indicates a graphic without undue background elements. In Midgard's case, it would be just the text and effects without the black background, so the logo blends in better with the overall forum theme.

The logos need to be clean logos (so not ones with part of a book cover painting under them). Usually this is literally the logo on top of a transparant background, centred in a 90 x 30 area, and logos will either have blank areas on the left and right if they are "tall" logos, like the World of Warcraft logo, or they will have blank area on the top and bottom if they are "wide" logos, like Dragonlance. (Dragonlance was actually super-tricky, as the original logo is super-wide. We actually "cheated" and used the movie logo. ;) )

There are a few logos that have a dark border on them: Blackmoor, Traveller and Calidar, so it is not against some sort of rule for a logo to have a background.

I know that Traveller needed the background, because it is part of the trade dress. Stripping that out would look weird.

The Calidar logo came in before the book was published, but the book has "In Stranger Skies" overlapping the art, so it works better anyway.

Blackmoor is a very light logo. I'm not totally sure, but I think the dark border was put on for that reason. The Midgard logo also has some very light coloured elements and if the background was removed, it might actually be quite tricky to see what it is. So I think that Ashtagon might want a version like the one Ben did. (IMO we just need to get another 5 pixels in there...but not via stretching it out of proportion.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:56 am

I downloaded GIMP image editing software to do a quick manip (would have been faster if I still had Photoshop).
The Midgard logos lean on the long side and I had some difficulty fitting them into 90x30 format without a lot of the details getting lost (as is I lost the lens flare strikethrough at this level of detail). There is some slight stretching to keep blank space to a minimum. I can make one to preserve the aspect ratio of the original and just add empty space above & below if that is the preference of the board. I can also try the gold logo if that plays better with the site decor.

The logos were sourced from the Fantastic Maps, linked above, and thankfully already came as PNG files free of any background elements.

"Midgard Fire Logo"

- OR -

"Midgard Ice Logo"
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Ashtagon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:27 am

ben_mcfarland wrote:will this work?

-Ben.

I may upload another version with the extra 4 pixels of vertical space, but this works for now :)
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:24 am

Isuru wrote:I downloaded GIMP image editing software to do a quick manip (would have been faster if I still had Photoshop).
The Midgard logos lean on the long side and I had some difficulty fitting them into 90x30 format without a lot of the details getting lost (as is I lost the lens flare strikethrough at this level of detail). There is some slight stretching to keep blank space to a minimum. I can make one to preserve the aspect ratio of the original and just add empty space above & below if that is the preference of the board. I can also try the gold logo if that plays better with the site decor.

Thanks for doing this Isuru. :cool:

Crunching logos down to a 90x30 PNG can be tricky as detail is always going to be lost. I've had a go at a few of the logos myself, with mixed results.

I think we can "live without" the lens flare, as the main thing is for a fan of a campaign setting to be able to arrive on the Campaign Worlds page, scroll down, see the logo they know and realise they are in the right place. If you check the other logos on that page (vs larger logos you can see on a Google search) you can see that some detail goes, but I think the mind of the fan fills it back in.

We do want to preserve the aspect ratio of logos (rather than use stretching to "use" the entire 90x30 area). I guess I didn't explain that properly. Keeping that aspect ratio right, and crunching down to a maximum of 90 pixels wide or 30 pixels high does mean that there does need to be some blank rows or columns padding out the logo. (This is actually one of the things I've struggled with, when I've attempted to help out with the logos. I can keep the aspect ratio OK, but then I've got to add in equal amounts of empty space to keep the logo centred. I've got it to work...eventually, but I have to look it up every time I do it, as the process has not sunk in yet. And I usually have to go back to the original full-size logo and fix things there, to avoid fuzzyness.)

Isuru wrote:The logos were sourced from the Fantastic Maps, linked above, and thankfully already came as PNG files free of any background elements.

"Midgard Fire Logo"

- OR -

"Midgard Ice Logo"

Aside from both being out of proportion these both look awesome.

From what I can tell the "Midland Fire Logo" is the one that Kobold Press decided to use, so I believe we should be working from that one (if possible). Because "Fire" is relatively light I did have concerns about it being too light to see on the forum background, but your version there seems to be pretty readable.

Ben's version looks great, but if you are able to get the logo to work without a dark background behind it, that would mean that you could "win back" 2 to 4 additional pixels of width and make the "Midgard" look slightly larger than Ben made it. Because we "need" to preserve the aspect ratio, we are never going to be able to be able to use the full 30 pixels of height, but if you can make a logo that is several pixels wider than Ben's logo, that is going to mean that your logo could be a few pixels higher than his one.

If you are game for another attempt at Fire - keeping the aspect ratio and putting the centre line of "Midgard" in the middle of the logo (so equal numbers of blank rows above and below it) I would love to see it. I'm not sure if Ashtagon will think that it would be easier to read than Ben's version yet, but if you are willing to spend the time giving her the choice between two nice looking options, that would be really great. :cool:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Next

Return to Midgard