Subsettings?

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...

Subsettings?

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:30 pm

So the Southlands is going to be a subsetting of Midgard. Do other subsettings exist as well?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Subsettings?

Postby Freedom92 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:51 pm

I think they've released a couple things that fleshed out regions like the Wasted West(land of goblins and great old ones) as well as the Northland book that does nicely for describing the Northlands and their inhabitants as well as their magic.
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby Doomedpaladin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Havard wrote:So the Southlands is going to be a subsetting of Midgard. Do other subsettings exist as well?

-Havard

If by sub-setting you mean describing other parts of the core world, then yes. Working out from the "Core" of Zobeck, there's Tales of the Old Margreve a massive and vaguely intelligent forest that buffers the city from the Kingdoms of Morgau and Doresh, and the Empire of Ghouls (who rule the Underdark after eating the drow), and the Dwarven Cantons to the north. Farther north is the Northlands which is most, if not all, of the northern part of the world's disc (its flat btw). Journey's covers the far west of the disk, a collection of weird islands and pirates. Far to the east of Zobeck is The Dragon Empire, a middle east-like land where scaled races rule and others are second-class citizens (this is mostly covered in the CS). Then there's the Southlands.

There's Dark Roads and Golden Hells which is more a series of planes of existence than a setting book (I wrote the Plane of Radiance and the Deva player race in that one), and Sunken Empires which is probably the closest to sub-setting out of all the other books since I don't thing it ever actually got placed anywhere on the map, it's just "out there" somewhere.
Doomedpaladin
Kobold

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:18 am

Doomedpaladin wrote:There's Dark Roads and Golden Hells which is more a series of planes of existence than a setting book (I wrote the Plane of Radiance and the Deva player race in that one), and Sunken Empires which is probably the closest to sub-setting out of all the other books since I don't thing it ever actually got placed anywhere on the map, it's just "out there" somewhere.

<offtopic>Oh. I don't think I realised you were a Kobold Press designer, when I first spoke to you. I'll have to ask Havard to add you to his Celebrities on The Piazza list. Do you have a bio that lists any other stuff you might have done?</offtopic>

Dark Roads and Golden Hells sounds interesting. It sounds like Planescape...for Midgard. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Old Man » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 am

Doomedpaladin wrote:
Havard wrote:So the Southlands is going to be a subsetting of Midgard. Do other subsettings exist as well?

-Havard

There's Dark Roads and Golden Hells which is more a series of planes of existence than a setting book (I wrote the Plane of Radiance and the Deva player race in that one), and Sunken Empires which is probably the closest to sub-setting out of all the other books since I don't thing it ever actually got placed anywhere on the map, it's just "out there" somewhere.

You could say Sunken Empires is somewhat tied to Midgard with the reemergence of the ruins off of the NW coast eh?

Regards,
Old Man
Old Man
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:10 am

Old Man wrote:
Doomedpaladin wrote:

-Havard

You could say Sunken Empires is somewhat tied to Midgard with the reemergence of the ruins off of the NW coast eh?

Are there specific locations in Sunken Empires (that would turn out to be underwater city states or something similar) or is this a general book that lets you know what the bottoms of all of the oceans of Midgard are like?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Old Man » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Are there specific locations in Sunken Empires (that would turn out to be underwater city states or something similar) or is this a general book that lets you know what the bottoms of all of the oceans of Midgard are like?

It is more of a general Pathfinder-compatible sourcebook for underwater this, that and the others. Admittedly the ties to Midgard directly are a couple pages on Cassadega.
Old Man
Orc

Postby ben_mcfarland » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:59 pm

So if I had to peg out the regions of Midgard, working off the "badly mirrored Earth" paradigm, I'd put them as:

1. Core Midgard, or what corresponds roughly to Europe
* This has the most books, with the MCS, about a half-dozen gazetteers, 4-5 player guides, a bit in different Advanced Races pieces, and several adventure books.
2. The Western Ocean and its islands, which is the Atlantic
* This has Journeys to the West, Pirates of the Western Ocean, Sunken Empires, Bosun's Booty.
3. Southlands, which is Africa
* The Southlands book, the 5 Cults books, AR:Gnolls, AR:Jinnborn
4. The Dragon Empire, which is Central/Western Asia
* They have a section in the MCS, a player guide, and a bit in AR:Dragonkin, and AR:Kobolds
5. Lands Subterranean, which is the Underdark
* The Imperial Gazetteer and the AR:Darakhul cover things here. Empire of the Ghouls is pretty much subsumed into the IG, but a great adventure if you can get it.
6. Distant Cathay, Sikkim, Beldestan (and one other, IIRC, which are the Far East)
* These have no books at this time, just references. I know of two pitches for projects in this area, one of which has been picked up.
7. The "Other Side"
* Also called the "Bottom" of the world. Wolfgang hasn't let slip what's there; it might be where the elves retreated to, but it's unclear. Nothing published.
8. A Yet Undeclared Continent
* It hasn't been posted anywhere, but trust me, I know it exists.

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine
ben_mcfarland
Goblin

Postby Isuru » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:33 pm

ben_mcfarland wrote:6. Distant Cathay, Sikkim, Beldestan (and one other, IIRC, which are the Far East)
* These have no books at this time, just references. I know of two pitches for projects in this area, one of which has been picked up.

* the other one: Khandiria?

Bummer. This was the area I had hoped to pitch for, provided I could (eventually) get my skills up to tackle the tall task. Alas, the world moves faster than I can.

I recall there were like 2-3 pitches for the Far East entered at various times going back to the MCS days during pitching for the next project (of which Dark Roads and later Tales were the resultant projects).
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:27 am

ben_mcfarland wrote:So if I had to peg out the regions of Midgard, working off the "badly mirrored Earth" paradigm, I'd put them as:

1. Core Midgard, or what corresponds roughly to Europe
* This has the most books, with the MCS, about a half-dozen gazetteers, 4-5 player guides, a bit in different Advanced Races pieces, and several adventure books.
2. The Western Ocean and its islands, which is the Atlantic
* This has Journeys to the West, Pirates of the Western Ocean, Sunken Empires, Bosun's Booty.
3. Southlands, which is Africa
* The Southlands book, the 5 Cults books, AR:Gnolls, AR:Jinnborn
4. The Dragon Empire, which is Central/Western Asia
* They have a section in the MCS, a player guide, and a bit in AR:Dragonkin, and AR:Kobolds
5. Lands Subterranean, which is the Underdark
* The Imperial Gazetteer and the AR:Darakhul cover things here. Empire of the Ghouls is pretty much subsumed into the IG, but a great adventure if you can get it.
6. Distant Cathay, Sikkim, Beldestan (and one other, IIRC, which are the Far East)
7. The "Other Side"
* Also called the "Bottom" of the world. Wolfgang hasn't let slip what's there; it might be where the elves retreated to, but it's unclear. Nothing published.
8. A Yet Undeclared Continent
* It hasn't been posted anywhere, but trust me, I know it exists.

Thanks Ben.

That's a great overview.

As a Spelljammer fan, I have a big interest in how non-spherical worlds work. There are several flatworlds in SJ, but TSR never published much detail for any of the SJ planets. I've been reading up on Pelinore, to learn more about how that world works (there seems to be some sort of effect on people who travel to the dead centre of the circle of the world. I'm hoping that there will be some fun details about Midgard's "Other Side"/"Bottom" at some point, and would also be very interested in how the edge of the world works, what happens to ships that "sail off of the edge" and if it is possible to climb or walk from the topside of Midgard around the edge to get to the "Bottom" of Midgard (or if people would need to travel via tunnels).

I must admit that, I am struggling with what I call "brand confusion" for the rest of Midgard.

There are a ton of Open Design products...old and new...and they all fit into those various regions. And there are new Kickstarers coming along to revamp some of the old stuff, and there must also be some books that consolidate factiods from older books. (There are also the patron-only books, that are hard to track down, because they were produced in limited quantities.)

I kind of need to understand the entire Midgard product line, in order to work out what books fit into the core and what books fit into those various regions. There is not a list of Midgard books at The Book-House at The Piazza yet*, so I can't go off of that, and I don't see Midgard listed as a campaign setting on RPG Geek yet (just various subsections with parts of the product line). Is there a full Midgard product list anywhere?

* = It would probably be me that puts up a Midgard section in the Book-House, when I have time. ;)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:32 am

Isuru wrote:I recall there were like 2-3 pitches for the Far East entered at various times going back to the MCS days during pitching for the next project (of which Dark Roads and later Tales were the resultant projects).

I feel like I've missed a cool era, having not been involved in the Open Design Patron thingy.

Maybe I should start another topic, so that I can ask for the Patrons that got Midgard off of the ground to talk about how it all worked, and what it was like seeing Midgard being created.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ben_mcfarland » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:42 am

Isuru wrote:* the other one: Khandiria?

Yes! That's the one.

Isuru wrote:Bummer. This was the area I had hoped to pitch for, provided I could (eventually) get my skills up to tackle the tall task. Alas, the world moves faster than I can.

I recall there were like 2-3 pitches for the Far East entered at various times going back to the MCS days during pitching for the next project (of which Dark Roads and later Tales were the resultant projects).

Don't worry. The pitch I know has been approved isn't overwhelming in scope, but more of a gateway to the region. There's still plenty of room (and time!) for an Enigmatic East book.

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine
ben_mcfarland
Goblin

Postby ben_mcfarland » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:04 am

Big Mac wrote:There are a ton of Open Design products...old and new...and they all fit into those various regions. And there are new Kickstarers coming along to revamp some of the old stuff, and there must also be some books that consolidate factiods from older books. (There are also the patron-only books, that are hard to track down, because they were produced in limited quantities.)

Ok, so the patron-only books consist of:

1. Steam & Brass, set in Zobeck, an adventure. The setting material from this adventure went into the Zobeck Gazetteer.
2. Castle Shadowcrag, set in the Margreve Forest, an adventure. The setting material from this adventure went into Tales of the Old Margreve and a bit in Midgard Legends.
3. Empire of the Ghouls, set in Midgard's Underdeep beneath the Europe portion of the map. The setting material went into The Imperial Gazetteer.
4. Six Arabian Nights, set in Siwal, an anthology of adventures and a small gazetteer of Siwal. The setting material went into the Midgard Campaign Setting (MCS), and then was expanded for Southlands.
5. Tales of Zobeck, set in Zobeck, an anthology of adventures, started as patron-only, won an ENnie, and became public.
6. Halls of the Mountain King, set in the Iron Crag Mountains west of Zobeck, a large adventure for OGL and 4E. The setting material is in the Dwarves of the Ironcrags gazetteer originally, and recompiled and expanded in the MCS.
7. Wrath of the River King, set in the Feywild, an adventure. There's really no setting material for Midgard proper except the fey courts, and they're mentioned in passing in the Courts of the Shadowfey, which is available. This is not yet converted to Pathfinder. Yet.

After this came Courts of the Shadowfey, then Tales of the Old Margreve, Dark Roads, Red Eye, and Sunken Empires, then Lost City, Northlands and Streets of Zobeck, then Journeys to the West, Midgard Tales, and the Midgard Campaign Setting, and then Deep Magic, finally Southlands and the Advanced Races Compendium.

If you've got the MCS, Southlands, Northlands, the Imperial Gazetteer, the Zobeck Gazetteer, Dark Roads & Golden Hells, Journeys to the West, Sunken Empires, Midgard Legends, and the (five?) Player's Guide to XXXX, then you'd have pretty much all of the setting material in hand. It really depends on your game focus. If you were playing in Zobeck, and just Zobeck, really, I'd say you could get away with the Gazetteer, Tales of the Old Margreve, and the Imperial Gazetteer and then you could either make up your adventures or grab Streets of Zobeck, convert Tales of Zobeck, or play the two Zobeck adventures in Midgard Tales or the 7 in Tales of the Old Margreve.

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
ben_mcfarland
Goblin

Postby Old Man » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:26 am

ben_mcfarland wrote:Don't worry. The pitch I know has been approved isn't overwhelming in scope, but more of a gateway to the region. There's still plenty of room (and time!) for an Enigmatic East book.

-Ben.

That's cool to hear. But what is the pitching process these days?

Regards,
Old Man
Old Man
Orc

Return to Midgard