Midgard on sale at DriveThru RPG

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...

Midgard on sale at DriveThru RPG

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:24 pm

DriveThru RPG are selling Midgard Campaign Setting in softback, at $29.99 instead of $49.99 (that is £18.64 instead of £31.08 for me, as I've got DriveThru RPG set to charge me in UK Pounds).

That is impressive enough, but I often get hit by international shipping charges that eat up savings from cheap prices. However, DriveThru RPG also seem to be getting the colour softback sent to me from a Print on Demand location in the UK*, as they charged me just £3.53 for (2nd Class Royal Mail) shipping! :o :shock: :| :) :D :cool:

* = I mention this came from the UK mostly because it might make the product affordable to gamers over in the rest of Europe. I'm not sure how the price will work out in other parts of the world. If you do buy this, why not post how much you paid for shipping?

DriveThru RPG are also doing a 20 percent off sale on PDFs of Midgard products (and other Pathfinder RPG products) until Halloween.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Midgard on sale at DriveThru RPG

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Awesome. Just ordered a copy. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Havard wrote:Awesome. Just ordered a copy. :)

How much shipping did it cost to get your copy sent to Norway?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Awesome. Just ordered a copy. :)

How much shipping did it cost to get your copy sent to Norway?

11USD for the soft cover, but I ended up getting the hard cover 14USD shipping.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:27 pm

My copy arrived already! :cool:

And I got a free "PKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKGPKG-PKG". :P :?

There is a slight "wibble" to the book, away from the spine, but it is almost unnoticeable. It looks like Print on Demand publishing has really moved on.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:08 am

How does the interior look?
It has been my experience that POD does covers just as well as most other printing efforts, but the interiors could be hit or miss, especially color interiors.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:25 am

Isuru wrote:How does the interior look?
It has been my experience that POD does covers just as well as most other printing efforts, but the interiors could be hit or miss, especially color interiors.

That is a good question Isuru. I have previously bought PoD books (via Lulu and CreateSpace) with colour covers and black and white interiors.

My copy of Midgard Campaign Setting is a full colour book printed by Lightning Source UK (people buying it in the USA or elsewhere might have it supplied by another branch of Lightning Source or another company). I've put up an album of pictures on my Faceborg account. Here are some direct links to the pictures:
The front of the book says "Second printing - 2013" but this white page (one of two white sheets added to the back of the book) shows this is a Print on Demand book from Lightning Source UK.

That might have some sort of impact for "collectors" but I'm more interested in the content than the resale value.

This is a close up photo and is a bit blury. You can see the quality of my photograpy. The actual text is small and crisp.

This is the back cover.

This picture shows the "wibble" on the pages away from the spine.

I've got my copy of Midgard Campaign Setting between my Makander and Oathbound campaign settings, so the book might flatten out over time. The wibble does not stop me reading the book, but it might annoy a perfectionist.

(I think the wibble may be caused by the pages being full colour pictures, with the ink distorting the paper. But I'm no expert.)

Pages 14 and 15, showing a map of Midgard.

Note that the pages are printed dark (the true colour of the paper can be seen on the Lightning Source pages at the page of the book - my first photo).

The Northlands (at the top of the page) are actually lighter than the page colour.

"The Seven Regions of Midgard" - a typical sidebar on page 17.

Note that the chapter number is lighter than the background of the page, as the entire page is printed dark.

Two colour illustrations on pages 26 and 27.

Note that the brown background makes you feel they are printed on dark paper, but it is an optical illusion. These are white pages with full colour printing.

The Centaurs illustration, on page 32 is one of the few illustrations with a white background. (This shows how dark the pages are.)

The start of Chapter 4 (pages 74 and 75) showing a light illustration opposite the darker page.

Two pages about The Grand Duchy of Dorning, showing a light illustration and a map with light elements on the darker pages.

I took all those pictures at night with poor lighting, but I think you can get a general idea that the book quality is pretty much the same as a non-PoD book.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:09 am

Thank you for the plentiful pictures, Big Mac/Dave. It seems PoD print quality is quite competent nowadays. DTRPG may become a more prominent source of print books for me in the future.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:52 am

Isuru wrote:Thank you for the plentiful pictures, Big Mac/Dave. It seems PoD print quality is quite competent nowadays. DTRPG may become a more prominent source of print books for me in the future.

This PoD book is the best quality PoD book, I have ever bought. The fact that it was full colour* and reasonably price was very impressive.

* = Some of the pages do not have much going on, so it does "feel" like coloured paper, with small areas of colour on on some pages, but the "background" is actually a full page print on every page.

This book certainly looks a lot more professional than many books that I have that were printed traditionally. It is only the "wibble" that takes away from that. I'm not sure if that "wibble" is a random fluke, something that might have dropped out, if the book had been compressed for long periods or something that is inevitable if full page colour printing is done on paper of that weight. (I think I might find out more over time.)

I would love to know what Casey Brown thinks of this. He is the guy that got the unnofficial Living Greyhawk Bandit Kingdoms book printed and has studied publishing techniques at university level. So he is an expert in this sort of area.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:59 am

Big Mac wrote:Image
This picture shows the "wibble" on the pages away from the spine.

I've got my copy of Midgard Campaign Setting between my Makander and Oathbound campaign settings, so the book might flatten out over time. The wibble does not stop me reading the book, but it might annoy a perfectionist.

(I think the wibble may be caused by the pages being full colour pictures, with the ink distorting the paper. But I'm no expert.)

It's three years since I took that photo and put my copy of Midgard Campaign Setting between my Makander and Oathbound books. Most of the wibble is gone now. There is a bit now, but it is hardly noticeable. I'd be happy to leave the book out for long periods now (while referring to it).

Isuru wrote:Thank you for the plentiful pictures, Big Mac/Dave. It seems PoD print quality is quite competent nowadays. DTRPG may become a more prominent source of print books for me in the future.

Now that DTRPG have started doing PoD books for Dungeons & Dragons, I think that the number of RPG fans with at least one PoD book is going to go up. (It would mean, for example, that a Midgard fan could grab some of Wolfgang Baur's TSR adventures and reboot them to work with Midgard.)

And I think that, as far as "the long game" is concerned, it means that Kobold Press could choose to put obscure Midgard books into PoD format, so that newbie fans can always get into the setting without needing to fight eBay bandits to obtain obsure books that they want.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Midgard