Southlands!

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...

Southlands!

Postby Old Man » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:49 pm

PDF is out to Kickstart backers.

Thoughts? First impressions?

Regards,
Old Man
Old Man
Orc

Re: Southlands!

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:47 pm

Old Man wrote:PDF is out to Kickstart backers.

Regards,
Old Man

I don't see it. I must have missed some sort of form to fill in, with my details.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Old Man » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Old Man wrote:PDF is out to Kickstart backers.

Regards,
Old Man

I don't see it. I must have missed some sort of form to fill in, with my details.

Update 38 on 7/20 indicated the PDF link went to digital tier backers and above. I never got my link so I pinged them directly via the Kickstart comments page. Sounds like you may want to do the same.

Regards,
Old Man
Last edited by Old Man on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Man
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Old Man wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I don't see it. I must have missed some sort of form to fill in, with my details.

Update 38 on 7/20 indicated the PDF link went to digital tier backers and above. My never got my link so I pinged them directly via the Kickstart comments page. Sounds like you may want to do the same.

Thanks Old Man.

I already mentioned that I think I might have missed a form. I've sent a message to Kobold Press (which I think is a message to Wolfgang Baur) via the Kickstarter message system. I'm guessing that Kobold Press are all gearing up for GenCon, so I won't be expecting an instant response. But when I've got my PDF, I'll come back and join in the conversation.

Meanwhile, the map looks awesome. :cool:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 am

I just got this, thanks to Wolfgang Baur resending the email (it comes from DriveThru BTW). It looks really well laid out.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Troy Taylor » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:09 pm

I haven't read it all, of course, but I'm loving the section on the Dominion of the Wind Lords. This is north Africa with just the right twist of magic and mystery. I'm also enjoying the accompanying bestiary that was released at GenCon. Lots of great monsters, many of them submitted by backers, which is very cool.
Troy Taylor
Goblin

Postby Old Man » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:13 pm

Troy Taylor wrote:I haven't read it all, of course, but I'm loving the section on the Dominion of the Wind Lords. This is north Africa with just the right twist of magic and mystery. I'm also enjoying the accompanying bestiary that was released at GenCon. Lots of great monsters, many of them submitted by backers, which is very cool.

I am busily reading the histories and love how they interlock with the material provided in Midgard.
Old Man
Orc

Postby ben_mcfarland » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Old Man wrote:
Troy Taylor wrote:I haven't read it all, of course, but I'm loving the section on the Dominion of the Wind Lords. This is north Africa with just the right twist of magic and mystery. I'm also enjoying the accompanying bestiary that was released at GenCon. Lots of great monsters, many of them submitted by backers, which is very cool.

I am busily reading the histories and love how they interlock with the material provided in Midgard.

You're welcome. :)

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine
ben_mcfarland
Goblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:33 am

How on par or superior is it to Nyambe? I have been itching for a reason to get rid of my Nyambe books, if Midgard Southlands is as good or better than Nyambe, I will upgrade.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Just got my print copy of the hardover!

I have only had time for a brief read through yet, but I am loving what I see so far. It is kinda hard to compare with Nyambe. The Southlands feel like a very different and perhaps bigger setting. Visually this book looks great though!

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Isuru » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:35 pm

I stayed up late reading the PDF and despite having early backer access to a few chapters, combining the previews with what I read during the night, I estimate I'm not even a third of the way through this tome.

The leatherette hardcover arrive today along with the bestiary and Arabian Nights adventures. Now I can read it in dead tree form.

A few stand outs for me thus far.
- Per-Bastet and the information on the Cult of Bastet in general. This may be one of the richest sources of fantasy game material for Bastet ever. A great boon for ailurophiles.
- The Saffron Rajah. I believe this was sponsored by one of the Master of Jinn and Wolfgang selected Richard Pett to write-up the request. This was an awesome addition to the book. Well done to the Master, Mr. Pett, and Wolfgang.
- The Southlands Pantheon. It is good to see the use of Masks and Pantheon priests continued and expanded in Southlands. The introduction to the Nurian pantheon is beautifully written. Other settings may contain iterations of these gods, but few have tapped into the cadence of wonder to infuse these deities with the majesty that is due their ancient source. Meanwhile, they are still well integrated into an overtly pulpish sword & sorcery fantasy setting and not bland simulacra of historical textbooks with a minor redress. (Though I am biased in this regard, going back to the MCS.)
- In addition to the pantheon, it is good to see Set separated from the serpent motif he's been saddled with in other fantasy iterations. Here he is returned to his full glory in Set-animal form and has a well-blended, setting-specific interaction with his rival and the rest of the Nurian gods as not a mere blood-n-power dark god, but an underdog anti-heroic deity and sympathetic supporter of the downtrodden. (As above, I am also bias due to this aligning with my thoughts on the area.) Yes, Set may have become my favorite dark god. Thanks to the designers for picking up on and continuing all the hooks I left in the Horus MCS write-up.
- Really like the use of Mythic rules for truly mythic concepts in the setting like the Titans and the Nurian god-kings. Something about this approach seems imminently more elegant and appropriate to represent the archetypes of fantasy that operate on an entirely different level compared to earlier edition attempts to just stack on more (epic) levels.
- I get a personal kick out of seeing particular artwork, the white ravenfolk (Heru) warrior, the archer of Ishadia in her distinct armor, Horus leading the procession of Nurian gods in the Pantheon chapter art, and a particular aberration entry in the bestiary. My eyes have feasted and I am content.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:53 am

Havard wrote:Just got my print copy of the hardover!

I have only had time for a brief read through yet, but I am loving what I see so far. It is kinda hard to compare with Nyambe. The Southlands feel like a very different and perhaps bigger setting. Visually this book looks great though!

I actually had a postcard stuck through my letterbox last Friday, the day before you got this, saying that I could pick up a parcel from my local post office. I've been sitting on a box from Card Kingdom in Seattle USA, that had the number 85 written on it EIGHT TIMES. I just got around to opening it yesterday and it the following items were in the box:
  • Southlands: Adventures Beneath the Pitless Sun,
  • Southlands Bestiary and
  • Eleven Arabian Nights.

:mrgreen:

I've not had the chance to do much more than flick through them, so far, but they all look great.

(I'm still a little bit sad that Eleven Arabian Nights got made into a backer-exclusive thing. I'd have loved to have seen it be opened up to the masses, via Print on Demand, so that other fans could buy it later. That thing looks great and cool stuff should be for sharing. ;( )
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ben_mcfarland » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:07 am

Please feel free to post reviews or ask questions! :)

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine
ben_mcfarland
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:33 pm

ben_mcfarland wrote:Please feel free to post reviews or ask questions! :)

I will if I get a chance.

I've hardly had the time to skim through the stuff. It looks great, but I need to get digging.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Midgard