[13th Age] Midgard & 13th Age: What do you think?

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...

[13th Age] Midgard & 13th Age: What do you think?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:32 pm

I am getting the 13th Age core rulebook this month. Since I am a fan of Midgard and Pathfinder, I am looking forward to picking up a few 13th Age Midgard resources in the future...I know that there are a few that are 13th Age exclusives, so that would help to flesh out my Midgard library and perhaps offer a bit more setting fluff at my fingertips.

Anyone else here a fan of the combination? What would you say does 13th Age have over Pathfinder n terms of the Midgard setting? If you have only read 13th Age Midgard, what are your thoughts on it? For you GMs and players, what have your experiences with 13th Age Midgard been like?
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [13th Age] Midgard & 13th Age: What do you think?

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:43 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Anyone else here a fan of the combination?

I'm a huge fan of 13th Age and really enjoy Midgard, and have run several 13th Age adventures in the setting.

Angel Tarragon wrote:What would you say does 13th Age have over Pathfinder in terms of the Midgard setting?

This really depends on the type of stories you want to tell in Midgard. With the icon relationships mechanic for 13th Age, characters are inherently more closely tied to the "movers and shakers" of the setting. Wade Rockett did a nice job of documenting Midgard icons in the Midgard Bestiary for 13th Age, so you can choose whether your characters have a relationship with Baba Yaga and her followers, or the Free City Council, for example. This leads to stories where the PCs are the focus and yet they're part of something bigger.

In terms of what the 13th Age Midgard products offer that the Pathfinder ones don't, once again I recommend the Midgard Bestiary for 13th Age. ASH LAW (his capitalization, not mine) doesn't simply "convert" monsters, but expands upon them. One of my favorite additions to the monster descriptions is the list of items likely to be found on the creature. Rather than rolling on a random treasure table, there are quirky and unique items -- many mundane, but a few magical and/or powerful -- that you can barter for, pickpocket, or loot from a corpse.

For a more general sense of what makes 13th Age different from Pathfinder, I find this list helpful.

Angel Tarragon wrote:If you have only read 13th Age Midgard, what are your thoughts on it?

I like the Midgard products so much, I buy them regardless of the system. I have Open Design (Kobold Press' previous name) going back to D&D 3.5, 4e, Pathfinder, Dragon Age, 5e and 13th Age. I like them all. Even when I can't use the mechanics directly, even the crunchier books provide me ideas for how I'd reskin a 13th Age monster or create a new talent or spell for a player's character.

Angel Tarragon wrote:For you GMs and players, what have your experiences with 13th Age Midgard been like?

My experiences with Midgard have been positive. The Kobold minions offer several fun adventures and a world rich in details. 13th Age has its own default setting, and I often draw from Midgard to make that setting my own.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:50 pm

What is the size of the "footprint" of Midgard in 13th Age products vs the size of the "footprint" in Pathfinder format?

Is there just a nod to 13th Age, or is the support substantial?

And is there anything that is only available under 13th Age rules?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:What is the size of the "footprint" of Midgard in 13th Age products vs the size of the "footprint" in Pathfinder format?

Is there just a nod to 13th Age, or is the support substantial?

And is there anything that is only available under 13th Age rules?

The amount of mechanical "crunch" given to 13th Age is approximately the same as that given to Pathfinder. So far, the only 13th Age books for Midgard are relatively high in 13th Age-specific material. In each case, it's a conversion (though I use the word loosely, as there are notable differences between the products and play-styles they best support) of a Pathfinder product, and the Pathfinder source product was "high-crunch" as well.

In the 13th Age books, the support is substantial. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe the bestiary has over 100 monsters for 13th Age. Deep Magic has hundreds and hundreds of 13th Age spells.

Aside from some of the content being different in the 13th Age versions of products, there are no 13th Age-only products. Every book that you can find for 13th Age has a Pathfinder equivalent.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:09 pm

I haven't GMed Midgard yet, but I have used the 13th Age Midgard Bestiary, and it's a wonderfully imaginative resource. Psychic Derro Foetus anyone? :twisted:
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:20 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:I haven't GMed Midgard yet, but I have used the 13th Age Midgard Bestiary, and it's a wonderfully imaginative resource. Psychic Derro Foetus anyone? :twisted:

Agreed. I use it regularly for my 13th Age games that don't take place in Midgard (as well as those that do, of course).
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to Midgard