How do ley lines work in Midgard?

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...

How do ley lines work in Midgard?

Postby Big Mac » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:49 pm

I've seen two people mention ley lines in Midgard today.

How do these ley lines work (compared to real-world ley lines)?

What sort of features do they connect?

Is there a map of ley lines anywhere?

Does the Soutlands also have ley lines?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: How do ley lines work in Midgard?

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:57 am

Big Mac wrote:I've seen two people mention ley lines in Midgard today.

I believe I was one of them. Where else did they come up?

Big Mac wrote:How do these ley lines work (compared to real-world ley lines)?

It may be helpful to provide a short quote from the Midgard Campaign Setting.

Midgard Campaign Setting wrote:Ley lines are the scales of Veles, the bones of the world, the blood that makes Midgard live and makes its magic strong. They are invisible rivers of power, and the connecting elements of fey roads and ancient wards as well as the spells of liches and the living. As power sources, ley lines empower magic both arcane and divine in most places across the face of Midgard. They are invisible to normal sight, but to experienced spellcasters . . . they are visible as glowing strings or bands of light. Despite their power, ley lines are not universal: some regions have no ley lines to speak of (such as the Western Wastes), and in others they can be difficult to find (ley lines are notoriously rare underground).

In short, ley lines come in three power levels: weak, strong, and titanic. They are either locked or unlocked, meaning they provide a consistent spell effect or the effect is random. With training (represented by a feat in Pathfinder), spellcasters can tap into ley lines to gain the metamagic effect associated with the ley line (if it's locked) or a random effect. Additionally, via feats, spellcasters can use ley lines to power the following abilities:
  • Reduce the increase in spell level of any metamagic cost by 1 spell slot.
  • Regain one spell or spell slot.
  • Cast a spell as if it were affected by a single metamagic feat you possess without altering its spell slot or having prepared it as a metamagic spell.
  • The next spell you cast will have a +1 bonus to its DC value and gain +1 to each dice rolled for damage or effect.
  • The next spell you cast grants you a +4 divine bonus to Armor Class and a +2 to all saving throws until the end of your next turn.
  • The next spell you cast will heal you of 1d8 hp damage for every 4 spellcasting levels you have.

Using a ley line for its metamagic effect requires a caster level check. On a fumble, ley line burnout occurs, causing the ley line to vanish for 24 or more hours and the spellcaster to suffer backlash. There's a random table of interesting effects from ley line backlash.

Ley lines also power fey roads and shadow roads (Midgard's answer to the teleport spell) and are used to empower permanent glyphs and wards.

Big Mac wrote:What sort of features do they connect? Is there a map of ley lines anywhere?

There's a ley line map on page 41 of Deep Magic. They often follow natural features of the land, such as rivers, coasts, mountain ranges, or the stretch of water between islands.

Big Mac wrote:Does the Soutlands also have ley lines?

Yes, the Southlands not only have ley lines but have monoliths that are used to redirect ley lines.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to Midgard