What rules would you use for Midgard games?

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...

What RPG rules would you like to use with Midgard?

D&D 3rd Edition
8%
D&D 4th Edition
8%
D&D 5th Edition
25%
Pathfinder RPG
17%
Swords & Wizardry
8%
13th Age
8%
Other (please state in the comments)
25%

Total votes: 12

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

What rules would you use for Midgard games?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:14 pm

There have been Midgard products for multiple different rules.

According to RPG Geek's Midgard category, six systems have supported Midgard so far. In no particular order:
  • D&D 3rd Edition/aka d20 System
  • D&D 4th Edition
  • D&D 5th Edition
  • Pathfinder
  • Swords & Wizardry and
  • 13th Age
How many rulesets have you used?

Which ones do you think worked best with Midgard?

Is there another rules system, not currently supported, that you would like to use with Midgard?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: What rules would you use for Midgard games?

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Kobold Press also supported the AGE system (the system used in Dragon Age, Fantasy AGE, and the latest edition of Blue Rose) in some of their Midgard products and blog posts.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:14 pm
There have been Midgard products for multiple different rules.

How many rulesets have you used?
I've run Midgard games using 13th Age, D&D 4E, and D&D 5E (and if you count early versions of D&D Next as it's own thing, I ran some Midgard games using those rules, too).
Big Mac wrote:
Which ones do you think worked best with Midgard?
Midgard adventures often aren't constrained by having a dungeon to delve into or a crumbling tower to explore. That made it a bit tough to prepare Midgard adventures for D&D 4E, which relies pretty heavily on having maps available. I remember a time when the PCs hopped aboard an enormous whale-like creature that could travel between the stars -- good luck finding a map for combat that takes place on top of setting-specific creature like that. On the flip side, Midgard adventures are written with lots of different monsters in the encounters, which provides tactical surprises for players in a 4E game.

13th Age benefits from PCs having ties to the icons of the setting (generally via their factions) from the very begging of play. With the simplicity of creating a new playable race in 13th Age, it's easy to let players choose from a broad variety, which my groups tend to enjoy. The combat is tactical, but with a game built from the ground up with abstract ranges and an escalation die to ensure that combat doesn't become a slog, it moves quickly.

One thing I appreciate about both systems is that they support Epic Tier play. Midgard offers several environments where epic play isn't out of place.

D&D 5E runs fine in Midgard. There's now plenty of support for Midgard-specific races, spells, and monsters in 5E. When I play in a Midgard game using D&D 5E, I miss the way the PCs get to really inject themselves into the setting right away as in 13th Age. This is a personal preference, however, and I recognize that not everyone shares this desire. Out of the three systems, 5E does the best job of allowing you to play a zero-to-hero style game, which appeals to a lot of people.
Big Mac wrote:
Is there another rules system, not currently supported, that you would like to use with Midgard?
I would love to see Midgard supported by the Shadow of the Demon Lord rules system. That system has one of the most elegant race/class-type character progressions that I've ever seen. Its found a way to take a concept like advantage/disadvantage from D&D and introduce something I like even better, while maintaining that simplicity. Its initiative system brings a level of tactical play to the table, allowing other areas of combat to be simplified, resulting in an experience that moves quickly but still satisfies that tactical itch. It also supports some darker elements of fantasy RPGs, such as madness and corruption by dark forces. With Midgard's dark undertones, it would make a good fit.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:15 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:28 pm
Kobold Press also supported the AGE system (the system used in Dragon Age, Fantasy AGE, and the latest edition of Blue Rose) in some of their Midgard products and blog posts.
Ack! I never saw that. (I can't change the survey without zapping it.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

ben_mcfarland
Goblin

Post by ben_mcfarland » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:26 pm

I'd love to have the time to do an Ars Magica conversion, because I think the great schools of Midgard could serve as houses and otherwise work for things.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine, find us on Facebook

Old Geezer GM
Goblin
Location: The great Commonwealth of Virginia, in the New World

Post by Old Geezer GM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Savage worlds would be fun.
Captain pledge for World of Calidar

Old Man
Orc

Post by Old Man » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Rolemaster :)

TheodrictheObscure
Kobold

Post by TheodrictheObscure » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:06 am

5e or S&W.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:04 am

ben_mcfarland wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:26 pm
I'd love to have the time to do an Ars Magica conversion, because I think the great schools of Midgard could serve as houses and otherwise work for things.
How much work would be required for something like a Quickstart conversion to Ars Magica?

And would Sub Rosa be able to do a minimal conversion article or do you think that Ars Magica would require a licence deal with Kobold Press and a full-blown Kickstarter?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 am

Old Geezer GM wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:49 pm
Would they call that Savage Midgard?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:07 am

Old Man wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:45 pm
Rolemaster :)
Hmm. That would make it compatible with some of the Middle-earth books.

Do you think Midgard and Middle-earth have a similar vibe?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:11 am

TheodrictheObscure wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:06 am
5e or S&W.
Welcome back to The Piazza TheodritctheObscure! You might want to pop over to Ashtagon's Introduce yourself here topic, say "hi" and tell people a bit about yourself.

Luckily for you, both 5e and S&W already have some support.

Which system do you think has the best support of the two, so far?

Is there anything you think they need to add to support either system?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:18 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 am
Old Geezer GM wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:49 pm
Would they call that Savage Midgard?
They likely would.

Return to “Midgard”