True20 Conan

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

True20 Conan

Postby Vaelorn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Hail and well met!

Just recently came across this group. Not sure how much interest there will be in this, but I have a Conan mod of Green Ronin's True20 system. I don't think that system is very widely used but if you're interested it's at https://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2014/06/1 ... onan-v1-0/. Anyone who has Mongoose Publishing's d20 Conan books will recognise the source for a lot of it!

I also have a couple of Web applications that replicate the Catacombs of Hyboria and Cities of Hyboria books, i.e. they just automate rolling on all the tables and so on. I'm hesitant to make these available as I have copied the descriptive text for the various features - so there may be copyright issues. If anyone can advise that would be great!

Thanks!

Vaelorn
Vaelorn
Goblin

Re: True20 Conan

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:14 pm

True 20 eventually evolved into the Mutants and Masterminds rules so anyone looking to do a Conan game with MnM could convert from True20 to MnM.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby timemrick » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:48 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:True 20 eventually evolved into the Mutants and Masterminds rules so anyone looking to do a Conan game with MnM could convert from True20 to MnM.

M&M came first. Steve Kenson designed both systems, and adapted many of his M&M innovations when making True20.

(BTW, there is sword and sorcery supplement for M&M 2e titled Warriors & Warlocks. I have no idea if it specifically references Conan at all, but it's definitely that genre.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:45 am

timemrick wrote:M&M came first. Steve Kenson designed both systems, and adapted many of his M&M innovations when making True20.

I guess I got my wires crossed. Thanks for the clarification.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:48 pm

timemrick wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:True 20 eventually evolved into the Mutants and Masterminds rules so anyone looking to do a Conan game with MnM could convert from True20 to MnM.

M&M came first. Steve Kenson designed both systems, and adapted many of his M&M innovations when making True20.

(BTW, there is sword and sorcery supplement for M&M 2e titled Warriors & Warlocks. I have no idea if it specifically references Conan at all, but it's definitely that genre.)

W&W does indeed mention Conan, and many other seminal works in the genre. It's actually a pretty cool sourcebook.
Good job with the conversion! A small nitpick: "Hyboria" does not exist as a name, but only as an adjective, like "Hyborian".
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Krimson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:03 pm

timemrick wrote:

Mutants and Masterminds 1e came out in 2002. Blue Rose was released in 2005 just ahead of M+M 2e as I recall. True20 came out in 2006. Out of the systems during that era, True20 and Mutants and Masterminds 2e shared a lot of mechanics and it was quite easy to use material from one system in the other. You could pretty much drop creatures from the Bestiary into M+M 2e. During that time on the forums, a fellow named Shadow reverse engineered True20 to work with M+M's point buy system. I had a lot of fun with those two games.
Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Postby Vaelorn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:02 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Good job with the conversion! A small nitpick: "Hyboria" does not exist as a name, but only as an adjective, like "Hyborian".

Thanks! And yes, you're right! I think I internalised the "Hyborian Age" as "Hyboria", probably as I have a Dragon Age mod called "AGE of Conan"...
Vaelorn
Goblin

Postby Havard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:44 pm

Vaelorn wrote:Hail and well met!

Just recently came across this group. Not sure how much interest there will be in this, but I have a Conan mod of Green Ronin's True20 system. I don't think that system is very widely used but if you're interested it's at https://vaelorn.wordpress.com/2014/06/1 ... onan-v1-0/. Anyone who has Mongoose Publishing's d20 Conan books will recognise the source for a lot of it!

Nice work! I was really fascinated with True20 when it first came out and bought some of the core books, but haven't looked at that ruleset for a long time now.

Thanks for sharing! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Vaelorn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Havard wrote:

Nice work! I was really fascinated with True20 when it first came out and bought some of the core books, but haven't looked at that ruleset for a long time now.

-Havard

Yes, I think it's somewhat moribund these days, although I do appreciate how it's simplifying the whole d20 thing. But I figured more Conan stuff is always useful!
Vaelorn
Goblin

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am

Vaelorn wrote:
Havard wrote:

-Havard

Yes, I think it's somewhat moribund these days, although I do appreciate how it's simplifying the whole d20 thing. But I figured more Conan stuff is always useful!

I dabbled a little bit with True 20, and while it does streamline some aspects of the d20 "engine", in many respects it makes things more complex due to the extreme granularity of the options; IMO there are simply too many feats and traits to make it overall simpler.
If you compare the original 3e core books with the subsequent 3.5, PF and True 20, you will definitely see a steady increase in the complexity of characters and allowed options. From a handful of feats in 3e, in 3.5 they more than double (and classes get additional boons.) And things get even more complex in PF (even more feats and class boons; plus traits and archetypes etc).
I have never moved past the original 3e; it's the simplest of the d20 bunch, and it's the closest to AD&D (in terms of many game effects) which makes porting material simpler.

For Conan games, perhaps the most success I had at the table was using the original 3e rules (limiting classes to barbarian, fighter, rogue and sorcerer; humans only) and adding bits and pieces from d20 Call of Cthulhu.

The d20 Conan game was nice, but it added too many extrapolations (especially when it comes to defining all the "races"). My approach was to consider only "civilised" and "barbarian" humans, and making one of the first level choice of feats thematically fit the culture. The new Conan game seems to follow a similar route; each race gets a Talent, and overall there's only a handful of Talents that describe overall the cultural types (so two races might get the same Talent.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Return to Conan