B4 Lost City inspired by Conan?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

B4 Lost City inspired by Conan?

Post by Big Mac »

There was a discussion about B4: The Lost City in the Classic D&D forum and Shesheyan made this reply:
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Havard wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:05 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:02 pm
Have you DMed this module? What were the major obstacles? Do you have any tips as to how to run it? I just reread it for the first time in ages and will insert it in my 5e campaign, as I like the central idea. Is there a Fanon document detailing the underground city?
Check out these:

DM's Guide to Cynidicea
Other Cynidicea Files at the Vaults of Pandius
Awesome work. Thanks!
I was going to ask if B4 was partly based on some of the Conan short stories. I got my answer. Yes!
I didn't see "Conan" on the Vaults of Pandius articles. What is the deal with this?

How strong a Conan vibe does B4 have?

Would it be possible to use B4 in a Conan game? Would you need to do anything (like remove Known World/Mystara references)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: B4 Lost City inspired by Conan?

Post by shesheyan »

On page 8 of this document found in the Pandius Vault : http://www.pandius.com/B4_campaign_sourcebook.pdf

I had no clue of this when I first read the module in the 80s. It is only in 2017 when I read the complete Conan chronicles that I stumbled on a couple of short stories that reminded me a lot of B4. Now with this article I have confirmation. You could definitely use B4 in a Conan campaign but cut a lot of the dungeon crawl and keep the action centered on the various factions, the drug and the evil «false» god.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:36 pm
On page 8 of this document found in the Pandius Vault : http://www.pandius.com/B4_campaign_sourcebook.pdf
Thanks for that Shesheyan.

I was looking around the webpages, but didn't think it was something embedded in the PDF.
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:36 pm
I had no clue of this when I first read the module in the 80s. It is only in 2017 when I read the complete Conan chronicles that I stumbled on a couple of short stories that reminded me a lot of B4. Now with this article I have confirmation. You could definitely use B4 in a Conan campaign but cut a lot of the dungeon crawl and keep the action centered on the various factions, the drug and the evil «false» god.
Do you think the dungeon crawl section fits in less with the themes of Conan? (I've not read enough fiction, so I'm not too up on Conan. I remember him going into an underground lair in one of the Arnie movies, but realise that might be a bit different from how the books do things.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

I assume the article references "Red Nails"? I think that's the title of the story I'm remembering. Basically, Conan stumbles across a ruined, isolated city that is embroiled in an eternal war between the two tribes/factions that inhabit it.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Raymond
Bugbear

Post by Raymond »

I see B4 more as inspired by Chuthulu. But there's nothing really stopping you from using it in a Conan setting. I haven't found any fan-made maps, but when I get time, I'm going to use the "Dungeon Geomorphs Set One to Three" document to generate caves and catacombs. Look at the Spanish version for the side view map which shows how many levels those there are. It's called "La Ciudad Perdida." Those maps are also referenced at:

https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/view ... 7&start=30

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

This was really interesting. I admit I was skeptical when I saw the thread title, but looking at that really well done campaign sourcebook, I think there is at least some circumstantial evidence that it was an influence, if not necessarily a direct inspiration.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Raymond
Bugbear

Post by Raymond »

If you are looking for D&D materials inspired by Conan materials, I found Conan materials inspired by D&D materials.

HD2 The Shrine of the Black Ones
HD3 The City of the Spider God
HS4 The Lost Caverns of Acheron

Return to “Conan”