Star Metal (from "Conanspace")

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Star Metal (from "Conanspace")

Post by Big Mac »

Angel made a topic called Inspiration from video games? (go look at it) and I randomly surfed to the Conan Exiles Wiki, while I was replying to it.

While I was on the wiki, I randomly surfed around and found: Star Metal Ore has this description:
Star Metal Ore on Conan Exiles Wiki wrote:
The God in the Bowl wrote:This is a grisly thing,' shuddered the clerk. 'It's too ancient to be holy. Who ever saw metal like it in a sane world? It seems less destructible than Aquilonian steel, yet see how it is corroded and eaten away in spots.
This ore, fallen from the sky, is a gift from the firmament. Put it to your ear and it practically hums with cosmic secrets like the ocean in a seashell.
Star Metal Bar has this description:
Star Metal Bar on Conan Exiles Wiki wrote:
The People of the Black Circle wrote:All substance is one to him who holds the key of the cosmos' he said cryptically. 'To an adept nothing is immutable. At will steel blossoms bloom in unnamed gardens, or flower-swords flash in the moonlight.
This fallen metal from the sky, be it a gift from the gods or a curse from the wells of night, has mysterious properties that sages and sorcerers are only beginning to understand. This strange material is not as easy to work with as earthly metals, but those of esoteric skill have devised a way to smelt star metal ore, with a technique that employs brimstone and black ice, to create ingots.
I'm not sure if those quotes on the articles are from Conan novels or if they are things made up for the video game, but this is essentially an ore that falls from "Conanspace" that can be smelted down and turned into a ton of items. (It's probably similar to adamantite.)

The Star Metal Bar article says that "You can also collect Star Metal Bars from the skeletons at the Ruins of Xullan" so presumably the civilisation that used to be there collected Star Metal and did stuff with it.

is Star Metal something mentioned in the RPG or the original novels? Or is this something invented for Conan Exiles?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Starglim
Hobgoblin

Re: Star Metal (from "Conanspace")

Post by Starglim »

The quote from "The God in the Bowl" is in Howard's original.
The God in the Bowl wrote:Its composition was something like copper, but much harder
The story doesn't state the metal's proper name or origin (none of the characters would know), other than ancient Stygia.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Starglim wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:02 pm
The quote from "The God in the Bowl" is in Howard's original.
The God in the Bowl wrote:Its composition was something like copper, but much harder
The story doesn't state the metal's proper name or origin (none of the characters would know), other than ancient Stygia.
Brilliant!

Thanks for finding that.

Is there any more context to it?

Was this something that a character found (as ore) or something that had already been discovered and turned into a metal item?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Apparantly, there is also a mention of alien materials in the Temple of the Elephant.

I'll be interested to know how much detail that goes into. (And if it is the same Star Metal or something else.)

Starglim
Hobgoblin

Post by Starglim »

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:48 pm
Was this something that a character found (as ore) or something that had already been discovered and turned into a metal item?
The Bowl and its seals are made of it.

The Call of Cthulhu game mentions in a spell description a bowl made from 'copper from above', which is not the same item (much smaller) but probably the same substance. I don't know the fictional source offhand.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Starglim wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:59 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:48 pm
The Bowl and its seals are made of it.

The Call of Cthulhu game mentions in a spell description a bowl made from 'copper from above', which is not the same item (much smaller) but probably the same substance. I don't know the fictional source offhand.
Thanks for the help!

KtA
Gnoll

Post by KtA »

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:15 pm
Apparantly, there is also a mention of alien materials in the Temple of the Elephant.

I'll be interested to know how much detail that goes into. (And if it is the same Star Metal or something else.)
I don't think there's any star metal in "Tower of the Elephant", but the Heart of the Elephant is a huge magical gem which is presumably extra-terrestrial, since it's tied to the power of Yogah, a weird elephant-headed alien from a distant planet ("the green planet Yag, which circles for ever in the outer fringe of this universe".) The Tower itself, which was magically built by Yogah, seems to be lit in the upper part by glowing gems also.

But in "The Devil in Iron", there is "a knife that was of no earthly substance. It was forged of a meteor that flashed through the sky like a flaming arrow and fell in a far valley", which is the only weapon that can defeat Khosatral Khel, a weird being from "the Abyss" who took on a human-like form of living iron immune to earthly weapons.

Return to “Conan”