Conan Marvel Mashup?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Conan Marvel Mashup?

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Does anyone recall the details about the times when Conan showed up and met other Marvel Comics characters? Is this something you would consider using as the basis for an RPG adventure? Either sending your Conan characters into Marvel's modern earth or sending Superhero characters back to the Hyborean Age? What system would be best suited? Other considerations?

Could be fun for a one-shot at least? :D

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Quart Jester
Goblin

Re: Conan Marvel Mashup?

Post by Quart Jester » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:06 pm

I have an Iron Man comic from around 1981 where Iron Man and Doctor Doom are transported back in time to Avalon. Doom ends up working with Morganna and Stark joins with Arthur to thwart them and an epic battle ensues. I always thought that these `armoured` characters in that setting was super cool (being a comic book guy and a fantasy/Arthurian fan).

I believe you could have a bit of fun combining the genres. I would love to play that.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

There is a huge Mutants and Masterminds fandom, my guess is that that would be the best system for such a one-off.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:53 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:There is a huge Mutants and Masterminds fandom, my guess is that that would be the best system for such a one-off.
That would be a perfect choice, especially if you are converting from the Mongoose D20 Conan Game :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:57 am

Here is a list of Marvel Comics where Conan appeared in the modern age:
Wikipedia wrote:
  • What If (Volume 1) #13 Conan appears in the modern-day Marvel Comics universe and in short order adapts to it before returning to his own world.
  • What If (Volume 1) #39 What If Thor battled Conan The Barbarian?
  • What If (Volume 1) #43 In the sequel (and an alternate ending) to What If? #13, Conan leads a gang of thieves and fights Captain America, who offers him a possible membership with the Avengers.
  • What If (Volume 2) #16 What If Wolverine Battled Conan The Barbarian? Conan fights Wolverine (in his own time) and, eventually warped to the moon at the time of the demise of Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix, throws a rock at Cyclops' head, thereby inadvertently dooming this alternate reality.
  • Avengers Forever #12 (1998) (pg11, final panel "A Tide of Heroes Surges Forward") This was Kurt Busiek's first writing of Conan. The Conan in this comic (1 panel) was the same Conan as the one in What If? #43.
  • Excalibur #47 (1992) with Saturnyne (last two panels pg 16 - no textual reference)
  • Fantastic Four #405 fighting Ant-Man, Iron Man 2020, and Zarrko.
  • Incomplete Death's Head #11 where he appears in one panel.
  • Green Goblin #10 What appears to be a robot of Conan fights Green Goblin in Arcade's Murderworld.
  • Paradise X: Heralds #1 What may be a reincarnated Conan (and Red Sonja) by Kulan Gath appears and is apparently killed by Hyperion before issue 2 begins.
The following occur in the Hyborean age:
  • Dr. Strange #11 (volume 3, 1989) versus Varnae
  • Dr. Strange #26 (volume 3, 1991) (2nd Story Legacy of the Wolf Part I, final page, 2nd panel) A figure that bears a striking resemblance to Conan, but no
  • reference within the text to confirm.
  • Thor Corps #3 Conan appears with an astronaut.
  • Conan #249-250 with Red Sonja, he fights Varnae, the first vampire (who has fought Dr. Strange and Thor).
    Note: At least some of these appearances (e.g. What If?, Avengers Forever, and Excalibur), if not all, were not of Conan from Earth-616.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_(Ma ... modern_day

So there is alot of fun to choose from. I really like the idea of Doc Strange like time travel sending heroes back to the Hyborian Age :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:21 am

Havard wrote:Does anyone recall the details about the times when Conan showed up and met other Marvel Comics characters? Is this something you would consider using as the basis for an RPG adventure? Either sending your Conan characters into Marvel's modern earth or sending Superhero characters back to the Hyborean Age? What system would be best suited? Other considerations?
I really like RPG crossovers, but I've usually found comic-book crossovers to be unsatisfying. They often feel like a throwaway gimmick, that will never ever get used again.

I guess that is OK if you want to have something fun...and maybe a bit camp, like the feel of the Flash Gordon movie. But I guess that I prefer to play a game where I can at least pretend that I am taking things seriously.

Conversely, when the comics actually build something in (like Thor) it has longevity. So I do think that it could be possible to do this sort of thing and not have it feel cheesy. Although it would probably be better to file the serial numbers off of the Marvel characters and give them a "What Would Robert E. Howard Do?" makeover and "sell" their abilities as something that was meant to be part of the Conan universe, rather than have a bunch of super-powered Americans, wearing their underpants on top of leotards teleport into a fantasy world that has specifically been designed to feel different to the USA.

I remember seeing the movie Hercules in New York (don't bother - it's bad) and I imagine that teleporting Conan characters into the Marvel-ised USA would be just as cheesy. Maybe some people could get a fun game out of it, but I just see barbarians chopping up modern-ish Americans with big swords. That worked with Highlander, so I guess it is possible, but Highlander didn't combine that with super-hero costumes.

I think I would be more inclined to steal elements from Conan, file the serial numbers off and use them as background elements in a more pure Marvel game.

Marvel: Agents of Shield does combine some Norse alien godlike characters with the superhero characters, but thankfully the TV series plays that down as much as possible.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:Marvel: Agents of Shield does combine some Norse alien godlike characters with the superhero characters, but thankfully the TV series plays that down as much as possible.
If you didnt like this idea, I take it you have not watched the Thor movies?

In any case, the Norse Gods as Aliens is an integral part of the Marvel Universe. It would probably be weird to have Marvel Superheroes show up in a traditonal Conan RPG campaign, but going the other way and having Marvel Superhero PCs go back in time to the Age of Conan could work, especially if time travel or travel to alternate dimensions were already established parts of the Superhero campaign.

Since Dark Horse has the rights to make Conan Comics I suppose Marvel has removed those parts of the prehistory of their universe, but if the RPG campaign is set in an earlier version of the Marvel continuity I could see it working. Having Marvel style Asgardians visit the Hyborian Age would fit pretty well. But again, it would have to be going that way and not the other. YMMV of course! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Game-wise, I used the Marvel Super Heroes RPG (and the sorcery supplement.) In my experience this worked better than the official TSR Conan rpg, as it puts a lot of emphasis on character ability rather than equipment.

For Mutants & Masterminds there is a Sword & Sorcery sourcebook, so in general the idea is not as far-fetched as it seems.

As to time-travel, something similar happens in a Bran Mak Morn story by Howard, when Kull is "summoned" from the distant past to help the Picts fight the Romans. So I don't see why it shouldn't work with more recent times and the Hyborian Age.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:54 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:As to time-travel, something similar happens in a Bran Mak Morn story by Howard, when Kull is "summoned" from the distant past to help the Picts fight the Romans. So I don't see why it shouldn't work with more recent times and the Hyborian Age.
I'm not saying it would not be realistically possible, I just think that the players would be more likely to react negatively to the idea of their Conan RPG characters showing up in a modern superhero setting than if their superhero characters were transported back to the Hyborian Age. Probably due to the expectations towards the genres more than anything else :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Conan”