D20 Conan: Best sourcebooks?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

D20 Conan: Best sourcebooks?

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Which sourcebooks, suppments or adventures do you recommend getting from the Mongoose d20 run? :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: D20 Conan: Best sourcebooks?

Postby Hugin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Good question. I'm interested in some people's thoughts and answers too.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Probably start with the "core"; Player's Guide to the Hyborian Age and the Hyborian Bestiary. The Gazeeteer books [Return to] The Road of Kings and Cimmeria to get familiar with the world if you aren't already. A total newb like myself to the setting should probably go for these four books.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:42 am

The Road of Kings is excellent, and a must-have.
Scrolls of Skelos is also a must-have.
Ruins of Hyboria.

Note the first two have been re-issued for the 2nd edition of the game, too; I don't have them, so I can't comment. But the core book plus these are more than enough (also because, as mentioned elsewhere, most of the stuff is not "canon" anyway, and some stuff decidedly departs from the "feel" of the setting.)
Last edited by rabindranath72 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Hugin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:16 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:But the core book plus these are more than enough (also because, as mentioned elsewhere, most of the stuff is not "canon" anyway, and some stuff decidedly departs from the "feel" of the setting.)

That's really useful to know. Thanks, rabindranath72.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Hugin wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:But the core book plus these are more than enough (also because, as mentioned elsewhere, most of the stuff is not "canon" anyway, and some stuff decidedly departs from the "feel" of the setting.)

That's really useful to know. Thanks, rabindranath72.
I wasn't aware of that either, so thanks for the clarification.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby The Dark » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:The Road of Kings is excellent, and a must-have.

Note the above two have been re-issued for the 2nd edition of the game, too; I don't have them, so I can't comment. But the core book plus these are more than enough (also because, as mentioned elsewhere, most of the stuff is not "canon" anyway, and some stuff decidedly departs from the "feel" of the setting.)

The second edition versions of the books were titled Return to the Road of Kings and Secrets of Skelos, so it is relatively simple to tell them apart.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:02 am

The Dark wrote:The second edition versions of the books were titled Return to the Road of Kings and Secrets of Skelos, so it is relatively simple to tell them apart.
Right. :P
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:39 am

I want to add though that everything written by Vincent Darlage might be worth a look; even when writing what really amounts to "pastiches", he does it very well, as he really "gets" Howard. A lot of that stuff however is quite heavy on crunch, so depending on how much you like rules, they might be worth purchasing.
Another book I forgot by Vincent (added to the above list) is Ruins of Hyboria which is excellent (yeah, apart from the stupid "Hyboria" name, which it should be noted was NOT what Vincent wanted.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:39 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Note the first two have been re-issued for the 2nd edition of the game, too; I don't have them, so I can't comment. But the core book plus these are more than enough (also because, as mentioned elsewhere, most of the stuff is not "canon" anyway, and some stuff decidedly departs from the "feel" of the setting.)

I guess there would be some people, for whom a "wrong feel" would not be such an issue, as they do not know the source material so well. That might especially apply to people looking to raid ideas for other settings.

Perhaps the wonkyness of some products might even cause them to be less respected by collectors (and therefore cheaper). Sometimes, I will "weight" how much I want a product, and still by a dodgy product, if I think that the price is so cheap that it offsets the disadvantages.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Merctime (Tim) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:21 am

rabindranath72 wrote:The Road of Kings is excellent, and a must-have.

I couldn't agree more. Even if you choose to run a game in the Hyborian Age using a different rules set, The Road of Kings book is of un-quantifiable value. It's just awesome. I also agree regarding Scrolls of Skelos, but it's been so long since I've read any of my Mongoose books I can't recall any specifics. I just remember that having a book that supported the sorcerous aspect of this game being one I considered would be important.

Probably my favorite, but perhaps not 'best' from an 'I need this to run a campaign' viewpoint, is "Across the Thunder River"... But that's just because outside of Snake-Men, the Picts are my favorite 'enemy'. And man, do the Picts really get a thorough going-over in that book! Snake-Men rule for me, though (even though they are perhaps more of a 'Kull' enemy than they might be a 'Conan' enemy, from a scholarly standpoint).

Angel Tarragon wrote:Probably start with the "core"; Player's Guide to the Hyborian Age and the Hyborian Bestiary.

I also would like to second Angel's recommendation above regarding the "Bestiary of the Hyborian Age" if you can find an affordable copy. It contains useful and readily-usable statistic blocks of monsters and mundane animals with at least reasonable setting flavor if you'd like to expand on the ones available in the primary rulebook.

When I messed about with this game, I tended to primarily use the main rulebook, the road of kings, and the bestiary most.
Merctime (Tim)
Goblin

Postby thorr-kan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:12 am

From 1ED, I like:
Faith & Fervor
Stygia - Serpent of the South
Skrolls of Skelos

From 2ED, I like:
Player's Guide to the Hyborian Age
Secrets of Skelos
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Postby genghisdon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:44 am

return to the road of kings
players guide to the hyborian age
bestiary of the hyborian age
secrets of Skelos

I like hyboria's finest, fiercest, & fallen, all the nation specific books, faith & fervor etc, but the above are pretty key/bomb.
genghisdon
Gnoll

Return to Conan