Conan vs Elric

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Conan vs Elric

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:32 pm

In the comics, Conan and Elric crossed over. Could this concept be introduced in the RPG somehow? Perhaps sending the party from the Hyborean Age to the world of Melniboné, or have Melniboneans enter the world of Conan? Perhaps some of the methods explored in the Conan Marvel Mashup thread could be used here as well?

How would you feel about something like this?

What ruleset would be best suited for this type of campaign?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Re: Conan vs Elric

Post by The Dark » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:38 am

BECMI or a retroclone should work. There's relatively little difference between a Melnibonean and a Basic D&D elf rules-wise, although the fluff would be quite different. There are a fair number of barbarians out there, whether from Pandius, B/X Blackrazor, ACKS, Mishler's barbarian class for LL, Ode to Black Dougal's B/X Barbarian, or another one. Some are more faithful to the 1e barbarian, others are more in the vein of the pulp literature, but they'd all work. I don't know if it's necessarily the best, but it's what I'd be most comfortable running it with.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:59 am

The best Elric rpgs are BRP based, hands down. Stormbringer 4e is a sort of class-and-skill based system, and the "classes" could very easily be used to describe Hyborian Age adventurers (e.g. we have Thieves, Assassins, Priests, Warriors etc.) I actually ran a few Conan games using SB 4e (and using the magic system from Call of Cthulhu) and it worked like a blast.
On the reverse, if you were to go with, say, the d20 Conan game, I could see an Elric campaign working, too. Elric could easily be a Noble/Scholar multiclass.
So...yeah, I think it can be done :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Havard wrote:In the comics, Conan and Elric crossed over. Could this concept be introduced in the RPG somehow? Perhaps sending the party from the Hyborean Age to the world of Melniboné, or have Melniboneans enter the world of Conan?
I can only think of one way I could do this sort of game: "Conan, what is best in life?" "To crush the neogi, see them driven from their spelljamming ships and hear the lamentations of the umber hulks!" :P

That aside, I'd be tempted to just reboot Elric and give him a Hyborian Age background (or do the opposite with Conan in an Elric game). Comic book crossovers are generally full of dodgy logic and the link usually breaks forever after a one-shot crossover story.

I bet that there are a ton of other characters, that are as interesting as Elric, that could get rebooted and thrown into a Conan tabletop game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 31, 2016 6:17 pm

In this post, Ripvanwormer introduced me to the idea by Alan Moore that Elric's Melnibonê is actually an ancient version of the British Isles, thousands of years after the time of Conan.

Seems like this model could be used here as well. Perhaps Melnibonean sorcerers arrive in a Conan campaign through Time Travelling. Or if you don't like that idea, they could also be extra planar travellers. In any case, it seems like there could be many ways to combine these two settings.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:33 am

Havard wrote:In this post, Ripvanwormer introduced me to the idea by Alan Moore that Elric's Melnibonê is actually an ancient version of the British Isles, thousands of years after the time of Conan.

Seems like this model could be used here as well. Perhaps Melnibonean sorcerers arrive in a Conan campaign through Time Travelling. Or if you don't like that idea, they could also be extra planar travellers. In any case, it seems like there could be many ways to combine these two settings.

-Havard
There is an official timeline for the young kingdoms and it doen't mesh at all with the Hyborian Age. It is known that the young kingdoms are in the past of our world but that is so remote (possibly million of years before Conan) as to be possibly outside even the Mythos.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 pm

rabindranath72 wrote: There is an official timeline for the young kingdoms and it doen't mesh at all with the Hyborian Age. It is known that the young kingdoms are in the past of our world but that is so remote (possibly million of years before Conan) as to be possibly outside even the Mythos.
Yeah, it would obviously mean tweaking the setting(s). Another way to do it would be to make the Melniboneans be visitors from the past instead of the future. Or it might be easier to just keep it really vague.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:51 pm

They are probably alternate realities. Elric spent a millenia on Earth (sometimes as Monsieur Zenith) during his 1000 year dream. In the most recent trilogy (The Dreamthief's Daughter, the Skrayling Tree and The White Wolf's Son) it's revealed that Elric is in fact the silverkin version of Ulrich von Bek's ancestor. Elric also travels to Granbretan, his sorcery so effective that the magic weilders of that world didn't even register as a threat to him. I have never seen any evidence correlating Melbinbone as actually being the same islands as Great Britain though. I was under the assumption that when Elric blew the Horn of Fate in Stormbringer that the world was reshaped.

Anyhow, the fact that Elric can travel to other worlds practically at will suggests he would be the moving force in visiting Hyperborea.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 pm

Krimson wrote:They are probably alternate realities. Elric spent a millenia on Earth (sometimes as Monsieur Zenith) during his 1000 year dream. In the most recent trilogy (The Dreamthief's Daughter, the Skrayling Tree and The White Wolf's Son) it's revealed that Elric is in fact the silverkin version of Ulrich von Bek's ancestor. Elric also travels to Granbretan, his sorcery so effective that the magic weilders of that world didn't even register as a threat to him.

Yeah, alternate realities would work well too.

I have never seen any evidence correlating Melbinbone as actually being the same islands as Great Britain though. I was under the assumption that when Elric blew the Horn of Fate in Stormbringer that the world was reshaped.
Yeah, it is a retcon by Alan Moore from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen continuity. But I like it.
Anyhow, the fact that Elric can travel to other worlds practically at will suggests he would be the moving force in visiting Hyperborea.
Good point. The details of how the worlds correlate might not be that important. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Conan”