Solomon Kane in Conan's future?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

Solomon Kane in Conan's future?

Postby Havard » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Commenting in the movie thread, I started thinking about Robert E. Howards' other series. King Kull lives in Conan's past, but is there anything suggesting that Solomon Kane lives in the future of Conan? Do ancient Hyborean artifacs show up in the Solomon Kane novels for instance?

If so, are there things from Solomon Kane that could be used in a Conan Campaign?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Solomon Kane in Conan's future?

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Howard had Conan's world transform into our own after a series of cataclysms, and Solomon Kane lived in our 16-17th centuries, so it's at least implicitly the same world. The Picts that Conan knew evolved into the subterranean Picts encountered by Howard's character Bran Mak Morn, and Bran Mak Morn is a descendant of King Kull's companion Brule the Spear-Slayer. Solomon Kane has one ancient artifact, the Staff of Solomon, which is of pre-human origins, apparently much older than Conan's Hyborean age.

Philip José Farmer claimed that Solomon Kane was an ancestor of Doc Savage in his book Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 31, 2016 12:54 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Solomon Kane has one ancient artifact, the Staff of Solomon, which is of pre-human origins, apparently much older than Conan's Hyborean age.

So that staff is the one element that could be added to a Conan game (with a different name)?

Does it have any special powers?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue May 31, 2016 1:07 am

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:06 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Here's an article on it: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/staff-of- ... 055-58637/

comicvine.gamespot.com wrote:The staff itself is made of a wood that exists nowhere on Earth, and is said to have in fact been grown in another world entirely.

#Conanspace :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Conan