How about Beasts & Barbarians for a Conan game? [B&B]

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

How about Beasts & Barbarians for a Conan game? [B&B]

Postby Yaztromo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:18 pm

I had just a quick look at Beasts & Barbarian [B&B!!! :P ] (https://www.peginc.com/tag/beasts-barbarians/, http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/96199/Beasts--Barbarians-Golden-Edition#anchor_widgets), that is a Savage Worlds setting that to me looks very Conan-like, at first sight.
I also think that Savage Worlds can be a very suitable ruleset for a Conan game.
Did anybody try it for this purpose? Any feedback?
Last edited by Yaztromo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: How about Beasts & Barbarian for a Conan game? [B&B]

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 am

I've never heard of this before, but it looks like it has a much bigger product range than the TSR product line for Conan. Perhaps someone, who was not a purist, might want to raid some of the Beasts and Barbarian adventures and locations and use them with the TSR rules.

Going the other way, I guess that someone would be throwing out the Beasts & Barbarians campaign setting and importing things from something like a Conan wiki (or using notes from novels). I suppose that would work, but it might be a lot of work. (I'm not sure, because I've realised I don't have the time to do the sort of Conan research I would like to do, to be able to understand the setting better.)

Hopefully we have a B&B expert around.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: How about Beasts & Barbarian for a Conan game? [B&B]

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:44 am

Yaztromo wrote:I also think that Savage Worlds can be a very suitable ruleset for a Conan game.
Did anybody try it for this purpose? Any feedback?

I have the book (Golden Edition, in case it makes a difference), but I haven't run it. I skimmed it, and it looks like it would work nicely for a Conan game. Savage Worlds is good for pulp action, and B&B characters start at Seasoned Rank, to help establish that they're heroes in a dangerous world. All player characters are human. Powerful magic is left in the hands of ancient NPCs/villains. Only one PC in the party can wield magic, and this is less powerful than the standard fantasy rules for Savage Worlds. Overall, it looks like Conan with the serial numbers filed off, and I would imagine Savage Worlds to be a good fit.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: How about Beasts & Barbarians for a Conan game? [B&B]

Postby Sigulf » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:40 am

I've been using Barbarians of Lemuria for a Conan campaign - WORKS GREAT!

With that said, my friend who is an avid Savage Worlds fan wanted to run some Conan stuff for our group using Beasts & Barbarians. We played several sessions, yes it does work - but my wife and I said that we would prefer to go back to BoL.

Not a fan of Savage Worlds. Specially that "shaken" stuff and using the cards for initiative, etc... I also don't care for the exploding die thingy....

My wife and I are actually taking a break from the Hyborian Age to run a short campaign in Lankhmar, yep converting Savage Worlds Lankhmar to BoL. (With some of the Runequest and AD&D stuff thrown in too :D )

I have also been playing around with using BoL to run a campaign in the Beasts & Barbarians setting.
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
Sigulf
Goblin

Return to Conan