Could the Wachowski's Conan Film be adapted to the RPG?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

Could the Wachowski's Conan Film be adapted to the RPG?

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:51 am

(fan created cover)

I just came across this over at the Wikipedia:

In November 2000, Variety reported the Wachowskis would produce, co-create and direct second unit on a new Conan the Barbarian movie for Warner Bros. which was to be written and directed by John Milius and which could see Arnold Schwarzenegger make an appearance. The Wachowskis were planning to juggle their pre-production involvement on the movie and work on The Matrix sequels at the same time.[120] In January 2004 it was reported that development on King Conan: Crown of Iron had stalled for years because of the Wachowskis' involvement in The Matrix sequels and now that the movies were complete they decided to abandon the project of their own volition because of the frequent clashes they had experienced with Milius concerning the tone and direction of the movie.[121] Lana once suggested Conan the Barbarian as her favorite movie based on comics to which Lilly also responded enthusiastically.[118]

Of course this movie never came to be and what later became the 2011 Conan the Barbarian movie was probably a very different Conan movie than the one the Wachowski's were planning to make. Now given the track record of the Wachowski's after the first Matrix movie has not been too great so maybe it is not such a tragedy that the movie was never made. However, is there enough available from John Milius' script to see if this could somehow be adapted to an RPG adventure?

Is King Conan: Crown of Iron a reference to any of the Howards stories?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Could the Wachowski's Conan Film be adapted to the RPG?

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:27 pm

Awwww! I didn't realise this had been cancelled. I was looking forward to it. ;(

I did have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I felt that Arnie's Conan movies were my Conan movies, so really wanted to see him return.

On the other hand, I also wanted to see a direct sequel to the first two Arnie movies, that carried on telling the same story of Conan's rise towards what he would have been ending up in this movie.

So, from a tabletop point of view, I do feel that this would be fast forwarding past a lot of the great plot potentials.

But then again, I suppose that using Conan as an NPC who can change the setting and then bringing in the PCs to "follow in his footsteps" could be one way to have the world of Conan...including Conan...without Conan overshadowing the actions of the PCs.

It's a good choice, as he can be elevated above the level of actions that PCs carry out. :)

But my lack of knowledge of the campaign setting means that I wouldn't really know how to do it myself. :(
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Most of the Conan games I have run, have Conan on the throne of Aquilonia already. So, he is in the setting, and well-recognised by the players; but he doesn't affect the setting very much, as he is busy running the kingdom, rather than going on adventures (well, he is involved in a few adventures while king, but I suppose these already happened.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:20 am

Big Mac wrote:Awwww! I didn't realise this had been cancelled. I was looking forward to it. ;(

I did have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I felt that Arnie's Conan movies were my Conan movies, so really wanted to see him return.

On the other hand, I also wanted to see a direct sequel to the first two Arnie movies, that carried on telling the same story of Conan's rise towards what he would have been ending up in this movie.

Actually, I think there is still a Conan the Conqueror movie with Arnold in the works, though it does not yet have a release date. The cancelled project involving the Wachowskis actually predated Jason Momoa's Conan the Barbarian.

So, from a tabletop point of view, I do feel that this would be fast forwarding past a lot of the great plot potentials.

But then again, I suppose that using Conan as an NPC who can change the setting and then bringing in the PCs to "follow in his footsteps" could be one way to have the world of Conan...including Conan...without Conan overshadowing the actions of the PCs.

It's a good choice, as he can be elevated above the level of actions that PCs carry out. :)

As Rabindranath mentions, having games set at the time when Conan is King of Aquilonia is not uncommon. This was also the premise of the Age of Conan MMRPG as shown in this cinematic video.

I wonder if there ever was a leaked script for the Wachowski Conan film though. It would have been interesting to see if it could be raided for ideas to be used in a game.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Conan