Cimmerian Moons

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

Cimmerian Moons

Postby Big Mac » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:13 pm

According to the Conan RPG Signs & Portents Index on the Mongoose Forums there is an adventure called Cimmerian Moons in Signs & Portents issue 74.

Does anyone know what "Cimmerian Moons" is a reference to? Is it something to do with "Conanspace" or some sort of event that takes place during the Havest Moon or some similar period of moon-lit night?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Cimmerian Moons

Postby BlackBat242 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:49 am

I've found the following:

Here is Mongoose Publishing's own internet archive of Signs & Portents - these PDFs are official and made freely available by the publisher!
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/signsnportentsarchive

From the following PDF of Signs & Portents #70 article "10 reasons to leave Cimmeria":
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/sp70.pdf
2.- The character ́s tribe is attacked by slavers from the Border Kingdom.
Living near a border has never been easy and the Hyborian World is no different, quite the contrary! Not only do the inhabitants of border regions have to ensure their survival, they have to withstand the depredations of their neighbours, both local and foreigners. In this scenario (expanded in ‘Cimmerian Moons’) the characters either suffer directly or the aftermath of a foreigners raid intended on capturing slaves.

Granted, Cimmerians do not make up for good slaves but at a pinch, the slavers might make do (in bulk) with the Cimmerian captives, keeping them weak enough to prevent their fury until passing them to another fool.

The characters will have to track down the slaves, rescuing them and exact all the revenge due to every single person involved. Depending on their abilities and sheer luck this can be over very quickly or drag on for years.

And here is the PDF of S&P #74 from Mongoose:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/sp74.pdf
OVERVIEW
“Cimmerian Moons” is an adventure for low-level Barbarian characters, giving them the opportunity of leaving Cimmeria to explore the Hyborian world. Although designed for Cimmerians, it can easily be adapted to suit any other barbaric nation and even the borderer class characters of “civilised” realms. It can be used as a background plot for a whole campaign with recurring antagonists or as a simple sub-plot or adventure hook in order to make the characters leave their home countries.

The adventure begins with the characters returning to their home village after a hunting trip, only to fi nd their homes razed and sacked by a band of marauding slavers from the Border Kingdom. Not only have the raiders destroyed the characters village but they have also kidnapped several women and children, including the joy of the clan: the two beautiful twin sisters, Aen and Kala.

Depending on the time available, the Game Master can make this a 2–3 session adventure or a long-term campaign objective, setting the fi nal rescue of the girls according to their Campaign’s needs. The information presented here is for a quick adventure focusing on the introduction to a long-term campaign.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Cimmerian Moons

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:33 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:I've found the following:

Here is Mongoose Publishing's own internet archive of Signs & Portents - these PDFs are official and made freely available by the publisher!
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/signsnportentsarchive

Awesome find BlackBat! :cool:

I was going to head over and add it to the Other Conan Websites & Free Downloads sticky, but you crossposted it there too (so that I wouldn't miss it). Thanks for that. :D

BlackBat242 wrote:From the following PDF of Signs & Portents #70 article "10 reasons to leave Cimmeria":
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/sp70.pdf
2.- The character ́s tribe is attacked by slavers from the Border Kingdom.
Living near a border has never been easy and the Hyborian World is no different, quite the contrary! Not only do the inhabitants of border regions have to ensure their survival, they have to withstand the depredations of their neighbours, both local and foreigners. In this scenario (expanded in ‘Cimmerian Moons’) the characters either suffer directly or the aftermath of a foreigners raid intended on capturing slaves.

Granted, Cimmerians do not make up for good slaves but at a pinch, the slavers might make do (in bulk) with the Cimmerian captives, keeping them weak enough to prevent their fury until passing them to another fool.

The characters will have to track down the slaves, rescuing them and exact all the revenge due to every single person involved. Depending on their abilities and sheer luck this can be over very quickly or drag on for years.

And here is the PDF of S&P #74 from Mongoose:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/sp74.pdf
OVERVIEW
“Cimmerian Moons” is an adventure for low-level Barbarian characters, giving them the opportunity of leaving Cimmeria to explore the Hyborian world. Although designed for Cimmerians, it can easily be adapted to suit any other barbaric nation and even the borderer class characters of “civilised” realms. It can be used as a background plot for a whole campaign with recurring antagonists or as a simple sub-plot or adventure hook in order to make the characters leave their home countries.

The adventure begins with the characters returning to their home village after a hunting trip, only to fi nd their homes razed and sacked by a band of marauding slavers from the Border Kingdom. Not only have the raiders destroyed the characters village but they have also kidnapped several women and children, including the joy of the clan: the two beautiful twin sisters, Aen and Kala.

Depending on the time available, the Game Master can make this a 2–3 session adventure or a long-term campaign objective, setting the fi nal rescue of the girls according to their Campaign’s needs. The information presented here is for a quick adventure focusing on the introduction to a long-term campaign.

That's an interesting adventure. And if the PCs don't solve it straight away, you have yourselves the chances of a long term campaign with the PCs going around to rescue various slaves or take revenge on the slavers.

I had a look through the adventure and it is a great freebie. Although I couldn't see where the "moons" came into this. Is "Moons" some sort of slang for slaves in the Conan game? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Conan