[Modiphius] Conan: Adventure In An Age Undreamed Of

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

[Modiphius] Conan: Adventure In An Age Undreamed Of

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Does anyone here have this RPG? What are your thoughts on the Modiphius' 2d10 system and Conan: Adventure In An Age Undreamed Of in general?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Modiphius] Conan: Adventure In An Age Undreamed Of

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 am

I have it (I am credited as a proof reader for the book as well.) I have read it and run two sessions...and I can't say I am a fan, honestly. Characters tend to be very complex, especially due to the large number of talents (aka feats) they get (they are strongly front-loaded in terms of abilities.) Also, the mechanics are quite fiddly, due to the use of pools of tokens required to play (one for the GM, one for each player.) All in all, I much prefer the Mongoose d20 version; in fact, when you look at it, despite it being somewhat complex, it's still easier to run and play.
Note the next game in the series (note it's 2d20, not 2d10) based on John Carter will have a much simpler game system. Why on Earth all Conan games of the last 15 years are so complex is something that baffles me :(
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 pm

I love the title!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Big Mac » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:55 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:All in all, I much prefer the Mongoose d20 version; in fact, when you look at it, despite it being somewhat complex, it's still easier to run and play.

I'm more likely to go with the Mongoose version of Conan, so that I can have compatability with other Dungeons & Dragons material *cough* Conanspace *cough*. But is Adventure in An Age Undreamed Of any good as a sourcebook of Conan material? Or would the Mongoose book be just as good (if not better) than the Modiphius book?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Big Mac wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:All in all, I much prefer the Mongoose d20 version; in fact, when you look at it, despite it being somewhat complex, it's still easier to run and play.

I'm more likely to go with the Mongoose version of Conan, so that I can have compatability with other Dungeons & Dragons material *cough* Conanspace *cough*. But is Adventure in An Age Undreamed Of any good as a sourcebook of Conan material? Or would the Mongoose book be just as good (if not better) than the Modiphius book?

The new book is *supposed* to be pure Howard, however they had to necessarily extrapolate from the available material to make a reasonable gaming book. If you are only interested in setting material and have the d20 book, I'd say don't bother.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am not really enthused about having to learn this 2d10 system, but I am also rather lazy about these things.

How many sourceoboks have been reelased for Mophidus' game?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby negromaestro » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Disclaimer: I love the 2d20 mechanics, since I am already used to rules-heavy games like Pathfinder. Plus, encounters in 2d20 Games (Conan, Mutant Chronicles, Star Trek Adventures and Corvus Belli's Infinity) are not more complex than 5th level wizard battles in Pathfinder. And 2d20 LITE is even simpler (this one powers John Carter of Mars).

But unlike many other game systems, those Doom Pools that some players hate, are actually balanced against the cool bonuses that allow Players to add extra dice to guarantee successful dice results. If a hero character has some critical task he desperately wants to succeed, he can pay the GM Hero tokens to get a critical success (in 2d20 that is a dice result of 1 since 2d20 is a roll-under system). Or just pay the GM one to three Doom Token to get one to three additional d20 dice to roll and pick the best results from that total pool of dice. Maximum is 5d20 dice. Standard is 2d20 (hence, the name of the system).

Of course, the down side to "bribing" the GM with Doom tokens to improve your immediate dice results, is that the GM can use those newly gained Doom tokens to power up bad things to hinder your hero later. But do not sweat the fear, for you can still offer even more Doom tokens to the GM to get more dice later too.

Within the game lore, the pool of tokens is akin to offering prayers to gods and other minor deities who may grant you temporary boons only to come collecting debts at some point in the future.

With a good team of Players and GM, the dice rolls and tokens enhance the game play, akin to the "Force" mechanic in Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars Light Side and Dark Side tokens. After all, Jay Little designed both FFG Star Wars and this new Conan 2d20 mechanic.

I recently setup a Facebook 2d20.games and [url=reddit.com/r/2d20games]Reddit 2d0 games[/url] fan group to share stories of 2d20 games and tips to help them run better for newbies too.
Kobold

Postby Big Mac » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Negromaestro.

Welcome to The Piazza.

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic say "hi" and tell people a bit about yourself.

And you might want to pop links to your RPG websites into your forum signature, as it will make it easier for anyone who talks to you to find them. :)

It's interesting that the "bribing the GM" thing is done in some sort of in-character context. I think that RPGs can sometimes get a bit number-crunchy sometimes (and just end up as people doing maths) so it's fun that someone has put that sort of thought into a game mechanic.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 pm

negromaestro wrote:Disclaimer: I love the 2d20 mechanics, since I am already used to rules-heavy games like Pathfinder. Plus, encounters in 2d20 Games (Conan, Mutant Chronicles, Star Trek Adventures and Corvus Belli's Infinity) are not more complex than 5th level wizard battles in Pathfinder. And 2d20 LITE is even simpler (this one powers John Carter of Mars).

Do you think you could explain the basics of the mechanics?

But unlike many other game systems, those Doom Pools that some players hate, are actually balanced against the cool bonuses that allow Players to add extra dice to guarantee successful dice results. If a hero character has some critical task he desperately wants to succeed, he can pay the GM Hero tokens to get a critical success (in 2d20 that is a dice result of 1 since 2d20 is a roll-under system). Or just pay the GM one to three Doom Token to get one to three additional d20 dice to roll and pick the best results from that total pool of dice. Maximum is 5d20 dice. Standard is 2d20 (hence, the name of the system).

What are Doom Pools? The collection of tokens or something else?

Of course, the down side to "bribing" the GM with Doom tokens to improve your immediate dice results, is that the GM can use those newly gained Doom tokens to power up bad things to hinder your hero later. But do not sweat the fear, for you can still offer even more Doom tokens to the GM to get more dice later too.

Okay, I actually like this type of mechanic :) How does the player obtain Doom tokens?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Conan