[Pastiche] Best authors and material?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

[Pastiche] Best authors and material?

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:56 pm

The Conan Wiki explains Pastiche this way:

Conan Wiki wrote:A pastiche is, according to The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms:

a literary work composed from elements borrowed either from various other writers of from a particular earlier author. The term can be used in a derogatory sense to indicate a lack of originality, or more neutrally to refer to works that involve a deliberate and playful imitative tribute to other writers.
Ben Szumskyj offers a briefer definition:

a work of art that mixes style, mood, materials and elements of another artist.
All the Conan stories written solely by writers other than Robert E. Howard are generally referred to as pastiches - although they might not always meet the Oxford criteria above. The Howard Conan stories completed by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, and the non-Conan stories that they re-wrote as Conan stories, are not pastiches; they might be regarded as "posthumous collaborations". Nor are adaptations of Howard's stories in other media such as comics, movies and TV series - although some comics stories, the 1980s movies, and the 1990s TV series clearly are pastiches.

Here's a list of some Conan Pastiche authors (also from the wiki):

• Poul Anderson
  • L. Sprague de Camp
  • Lin Carter
  • Leonard P. Carpenter
  • Roland J. Green
  • John C. Hocking
  • Robert Jordan
  • Sean A. Moore
  • Björn Nyberg
  • Andrew J. Offutt
  • Steve Perry
  • John Maddox Roberts
  • Harry Turtledove
  • Karl Edward Wagner

Are there any authors missing from this list?

What pastiche works would you recommend if any? What parts of their material might be fun to use in an RPG game?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Pastiche] Best authors and material?

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Here's a forum post that might be helpful: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?39 ... t-to-avoid

Here's a pretty good essay: http://www.howardandrewjones.com/review ... rs-of-doom

More here on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/821 ... ad-or-ugly

And the Mongoose forums: http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/vie ... php?t=4234 Page 2 summarizes raidable elements from the novel Conan the Defiant.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:52 am

Havard wrote:What pastiche works would you recommend if any? What parts of their material might be fun to use in an RPG game?

I suppose that, if the player characters are supposed to be in the world of Conan, but are not playing Conan themselves, it doesn't matter so much if some pastiche elements have a slightly different style, so long as the players feel like they are in the same world.

ripvanwormer wrote:Here's a pretty good essay: http://www.howardandrewjones.com/review ... rs-of-doom

I love the title of that webpage! :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Havard wrote: What pastiche works would you recommend if any?

No doubt: Sprague de Camp.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby genghisdon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:04 pm

yes...those were actually hard to avoid back when i first was reading Conan (the Ace line), but despite some haters, I'd actually like to reread them now & no longer have the ace/lancer series, sadly.

Andrew Offut’s Conan and the Sorcerer (et all)

I liked many of them as a youth, although they didn't hold up as I aged. I think I read more or less ALL of them before a certain year. Conan and the Sorcerer is the only one I kept when having to do a massive downsize about 6 years ago (& my Wandering Star/Del Rey editions, of course). The oversized ones by Robert Jordan (& others) I considered more to keep (Conan the invincible, etc), but ultimately did not.
genghisdon
Gnoll

Return to Conan