Conan Exiles - What are these monsters?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

Conan Exiles - What are these monsters?

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:30 am

If you click on the image above it will send you to a video of an upcoming open world game from FunCom set in the world of Conan. I recognized many things form conan's mythology, but there were several monsters there that I did not immediately recognize. What are these creatures? There is a cthulhuesque creature, a kind of giant statue and other things. Do any of the available RPGs have stats for them?

Also, are there other things in the video that would translate to things in the setting and in the RPG?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Conan Exiles - What are these monsters?

Postby timemrick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:21 pm

The tentacled thing doesn't exactly match any Cthulhu Mythos being that I can recall offhand, but given the setting, it could be the spawn or avatar of any of several established Great Old Ones. The second shot of it shows the POV character holding an ankh-headed staff, and it appears to be in a desert, which suggests some connection to Nyarlathotep (who has dozens if not hundreds of avatars).

The giant statue may be an honage to Talos, the bronze giant from the Argonautica, and popularized by Ray Harryhausen. Giant animated statues crop up regularly in the Conan stories. I don't know the Conan RPG, but in D&D terms, it could be a larger-than-normal iron or stone golem--or an iron or stone colossus (Pathfinder).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby JamesMishler » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:23 pm

The many-tentacle thing is likely one of the myriad devils of the outer dark which, Conan mentions in "Vale of Lost Women," gather thick as flies in the space around the world, waiting for an opportunity to descend and feast or conquer.

The big metal colossus is totally an homage to Harryhausen's Talos, down to the facial features.

The red horned dinosaur looked like one of the demons out of the old Doom series... kind of disappointing. The Hyborian dragon was more like a stegosaur than an ankylosaur.

An interesting one was the multi-trunked elephant, it reminded me of the bodendrucker or leveler from the Creature Catalog (AC 9, first edition).
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby BlackBat242 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 am

JamesMishler wrote:An interesting one was the multi-trunked elephant, it reminded me of the bodendrucker or leveler from the Creature Catalog (AC 9, first edition).

The Vaults of Pandius lists the Leveller (Bodendruker) as having its first appearance anywhere in the CC.

Creature Catalogue is a supplement for Basic Dungeons & Dragons first released in 1986, and updated in 1993.

Not 1E AD&D.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby JamesMishler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:03 am

BlackBat242 wrote:
JamesMishler wrote:An interesting one was the multi-trunked elephant, it reminded me of the bodendrucker or leveler from the Creature Catalog (AC 9, first edition).

The Vaults of Pandius lists the Leveller (Bodendruker) as having its first appearance anywhere in the CC.

Creature Catalogue is a supplement for Basic Dungeons & Dragons first released in 1986, and updated in 1993.

Not 1E AD&D.

"First edition" as in the first edition of the Creature Catalog, as opposed to the second edition of the Creature Catalog...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby genghisdon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Havard wrote:I recognized many things form conan's mythology, but there were several monsters there that I did not immediately recognize. What are these creatures? There is a cthulhuesque creature, a kind of giant statue and other things. Do any of the available RPGs have stats for them?

Also, are there other things in the video that would translate to things in the setting and in the RPG?

I don;t really recognize much from Conan's mythology, or at least not the REH part of it. Adding in pastiches & comics & then they do.

I can't say what they really are, but:
Lovecraft/mythos monsters are canon/part of the Hyborian age right from the start per REH
While it looks more Talos, I expect it is supposed to evoke Khostral Khel, The Devil in Iron.
Giant snake as Son of Set or something?

Stats? Animated statue(Conan/numerous), Iron golems(MM/numerous), Iron Colossus(3e epic level handbook), Khostral Khel (Conan: the scrolls of Skelos)
Sons of Set (Conan:Bestiary of the Hyborian age)
horned dino/dragon is perhaps a Dragon of the southern areas like Kush
others seem to know the elephant thing
genghisdon
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks!

I found that the early edition release of this game also includes a bunch of critters listed on this site: https://conanexiles.gamepedia.com/Creature

Abysmal Remnant

Antelope

Bat Demon

Camel

Cobra

Crocodile

Dragon

Dragonfly

Elephant

Gazelle

Gazelle King

Hyena

Imp

Komodo

Locust

Molten Beast

Oscarfish

Ostrich

Pikefish

Piranha

Rabbit

Grey Rhino

Black Rhino

Rhino King

Rocknose

Rocknose King

Sand Reaper

Scorpion(Small)

Scorpion(Medium)

Scorpion(Large)

Scorpion King

Shaleback

Shaleback Baby

Skeletal Lizard Beast

Skeleton

Spider

Spider Queen

Werehyena

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Conan