Lankhmar/Nehwon: Novel listing?

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.

Re: Lankhmar/Nehwon: Novel listing?

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 am

There's also the Mike Mignola comics adaptation:

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:24 pm

The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there only five of these, comics, or are they just the tip of the iceberg?
Only five, although there was a prequel in Wonder Woman #201 and #202.

Wonder Woman? Was that just an insert, or did they do the crossover thing? :?

ripvanwormer wrote:There's also the Mike Mignola comics adaptation:

Thanks! Is that a one-shot, or a series?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:27 pm

Shesheyan actually wrote about the Mike Mignola-illustrated Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser comics earlier in this thread:

shesheyan wrote:I'm the proud owner of «Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser» the graphic novels by Mike Mignola (with writer Howard Chaykin and inker Al Williamson, four-issue limited series, Epic Comics, 1990-1991)[9]
http://comicmegastore.com/images/marvel ... user-1.jpg

In 1991, Epic Comics published a four-issue comic book adaptation of seven of the stories: "Ill Met in Lankhmar" (issue 1), "The Circle Curse" and "The Howling Tower" (issue 2), "The Price of Pain Ease" and "Bazaar of the Bizarre" (issue 3), and "Lean Times in Lankhmar" and "When the Sea King's Away" (issue 4). The comics were scripted by Howard Chaykin, who had drawn several issues of the earlier DC title, and pencilled by Mike Mignola, whose Hellboy comic book often has a similar feel to Leiber's work. Mignola also did the jacket covers and interior art for the White Wolf collection. This series was collected by Dark Horse Comics in a trade paperback collection published in March 2007.[5]
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby The Dark » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:34 am

Big Mac wrote:
The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there only five of these, comics, or are they just the tip of the iceberg?
Only five, although there was a prequel in Wonder Woman #201 and #202.

Wonder Woman? Was that just an insert, or did they do the crossover thing? :?
I haven't read it, unfortunately. From the summaries I've run across, I suppose it was technically a crossover, but it was one of those wonky multi-dimensional things. I know the issue was written by Samuel Delany and involved Fafhrd, Grey Mouser, Catwoman, I Ching, and a powerless Diana Prince (she would regain her powers in #204) fighting a dimension-hopping wizard.
The Dark
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:31 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Shesheyan actually wrote about the Mike Mignola-illustrated Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser comics earlier in this thread:

Ah! Sorry, I thought you were talking about something different. :oops:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Blackleaf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:57 am

It is a bit odd how people keep referring to these as novels. The Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories are just that: short stories and a fee novellas.

The only novel in the entire series is Swords of Lankhmar which is very episodic but unlike REH's Hour of the Dragon eminently readable, well paced and terrifically funny. I think it is one of the best modern fantasy novels and certainly one of the best things in the entire series, with only the hilarious 'Lean Times in Lankhmar' in competition with it. Almost everything Leiber wrote for Fafhrd and Mouser is terrific, never dipping below good. I notice RPGers are likely to poo-poo the later stories as Leiber darkened the tone, focused more on character and upped the satire but I think they are equally excellent to the early stories, if less crowd pleasing.
Blackleaf
Orc

Previous

Return to Lankhmar