Lankhmar/Nehwon: Novel listing?

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Lankhmar/Nehwon: Novel listing?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:42 pm

In my list of books that I want to add to my collection is from this setting. However I am finding it difficult to find a definitive list of just the books/novels (I don't want to hunt down magazines) in chronological order. Any help would be appreciated.

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Re: Lankhmar/Nehwon: Novel listing?

Post by TBeholder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:56 pm

The Angelic Dragon wrote:In my list of books that I want to add to my collection is from this setting. However I am finding it difficult to find a definitive list of just the books/novels
You mean, story by story list of "Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser" series?
See on "The Internet Speculative Fiction Database" site.
The Angelic Dragon wrote: (I don't want to hunt down magazines)
Everything is supposedly collected in 7 books (plus "Swords Against the Shadowland", which is by Robin Wayne Bailey, but authorized). AFAIK.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:17 pm

That is a lot of stuff on that page. I couldn't be bothered to actually count them, but it looks like there are more than 40 novels. How many of these novels are covered well by the RPG books?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:56 am

I'm the proud owner of «Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser» the graphic novels by Mike Mignola (with writer Howard Chaykin and inker Al Williamson, four-issue limited series, Epic Comics, 1990-1991)[9]
http://comicmegastore.com/images/marvel ... user-1.jpg

In 1991, Epic Comics published a four-issue comic book adaptation of seven of the stories: "Ill Met in Lankhmar" (issue 1), "The Circle Curse" and "The Howling Tower" (issue 2), "The Price of Pain Ease" and "Bazaar of the Bizarre" (issue 3), and "Lean Times in Lankhmar" and "When the Sea King's Away" (issue 4). The comics were scripted by Howard Chaykin, who had drawn several issues of the earlier DC title, and pencilled by Mike Mignola, whose Hellboy comic book often has a similar feel to Leiber's work. Mignola also did the jacket covers and interior art for the White Wolf collection. This series was collected by Dark Horse Comics in a trade paperback collection published in March 2007.[5]

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:41 pm

shesheyan wrote:I'm the proud owner of «Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser» the graphic novels by Mike Mignola (with writer Howard Chaykin and inker Al Williamson, four-issue limited series, Epic Comics, 1990-1991)[9]
http://comicmegastore.com/images/marvel ... user-1.jpg
The second guy from the right... I understand it's supposed to be a spiky flail, but it looks like sword-chucks. :twisted:
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:24 am

Big Mac wrote:That is a lot of stuff on that page. I couldn't be bothered to actually count them, but it looks like there are more than 40 novels. How many of these novels are covered well by the RPG books?
The vast majority of those are short stories - most of which are incorporated in the first 7 titles on the list.

Additionally some of the later titles are of later recompilations of the earlier books - combining 2 or more books of short stories into large collections.

An example is the first title: Swords and Deviltry.
It contains:
"Induction" (1957)
"The Snow Women" (1970)
"The Unholy Grail" (1962)
"Ill Met in Lankhmar" (1970)
The book has also been gathered together with others in the series into various omnibus editions; The Three of Swords (1989), Ill Met in Lankhmar (1995), The First Book of Lankhmar (2001), and Lankhmar (2008).

The second title: Swords Against Death
It contains:
"The Circle Curse" (1970)
"The Jewels in the Forest" (1939; originally titled "Two Sought Adventure")
"Thieves' House" (1943)
"The Bleak Shore" (1940)
"The Howling Tower" (1941)
"The Sunken Land" (1942)
"The Seven Black Priests" (1953)
"Claws from the Night" (1951; originally titled "Dark Vengeance")
"The Price of Pain-Ease" (1970)
"Bazaar of the Bizarre" (1963)

And so on.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:36 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That is a lot of stuff on that page. I couldn't be bothered to actually count them, but it looks like there are more than 40 novels. How many of these novels are covered well by the RPG books?
The vast majority of those are short stories - most of which are incorporated in the first 7 titles on the list.
Thanks for that. That is a much easier number of things to track down.
BlackBat242 wrote:Additionally some of the later titles are of later recompilations of the earlier books - combining 2 or more books of short stories into large collections.

An example is the first title: Swords and Deviltry.
It contains:
"Induction" (1957)
"The Snow Women" (1970)
"The Unholy Grail" (1962)
"Ill Met in Lankhmar" (1970)
The book has also been gathered together with others in the series into various omnibus editions; The Three of Swords (1989), Ill Met in Lankhmar (1995), The First Book of Lankhmar (2001), and Lankhmar (2008).
Ack. Well that sort of thing makes it a bit harder. I wouldn't mind buying the collected books instead, but if it isn't clear what is what, I could end up buying duplicates. :(
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:27 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
What order would you recommend reading the books in, blackbat?

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:37 am

The order is fairly constant:
1. Swords and Deviltry
2. Swords Against Death
3. Swords in the Mist
4. Swords Against Wizardry
5. Swords of Lankhmar
6. Swords and Ice Magic
7. Knight and Knave of Swords

The White Wolf series collects each pair as a single book:
1. Ill Met in Lankhmar (Deviltry, Death)
2. Lean Times in Lankhmar (Mist, Wizardry)
3. Return to Lankhmar (Lankhmar, Ice Magic)

Orion's version collects books 1-4 in the First Book of Lankhmar, and 5-7 in the Second Book of Lankhmar.

My personal opinion is that the first four books are superior to the last three, so I would recommend picking up either the First Book of Lankhmar or Ill Met and Lean Times.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Finally got around to read my first Lankhmar book (Sword and Deviltry). Very interesting start.
Just bought the second one Swords Against Death.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:09 pm

shesheyan wrote:Finally got around to read my first Lankhmar book (Sword and Deviltry). Very interesting start.
No spoilers please, but have you seen anything in Swords and Deviltry that you could put into a tabletop game?

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:21 am

Big Mac wrote:
shesheyan wrote:Finally got around to read my first Lankhmar book (Sword and Deviltry). Very interesting start.
No spoilers please, but have you seen anything in Swords and Deviltry that you could put into a tabletop game?
I don't think there's much in Deviltry that would be directly translatable. It has three stories. "The Snow Women" is Fafhrd's background, "The Unholy Grail" is Mouser's background, and "Ill Met in Lankhmar" is how they started working together. Death probably has the most that can be adapted, with "Jewels in the Forest" and "Bazaar of the Bizarre" being the best, and "Thieves' House," "Howling Tower," and "Sunken Land" are useful also.

For the other books, stories that particularly grabbed me:
Mist: "Lean Times in Lankhmar", "Cloud of Hate", "Wrong Branch"
Wizardry: "Stardock", "Lords of Quarmall"

I'm personally not fond of the latter works (as I mentioned before), but Swords of Lankhmar has some interesting ideas with rats.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:24 am

But "The Unholy Grail" has the first mention of one of my favorite elements of these stories... the Ghouls.

They are much more-fully described in "The Price of Pain-Ease", which is in "Swords Against Death".

They are also described in 1E AD&D in the Nehwon mythos in the D&DG, (even though they do not appear at all in the 1E Lankhmar book).
Nehwon Ghoul
Nehwon ghouls are not undead. They are a living, breathing race of almost completely transparent, human appearing beings. Their culture teaches them that any creature not of their race is food for their table.
Their transparent nature makes them completely invisible in shadows or darkness. In the light they appear as a smoky shape with their bones barely visible. They wear little or no clothing and rely on their transparent nature as their protection. Their low armor class is a reflection of this fact.
The men of this race are bold, fierce warriors who throw themselves into battle singing proud war songs. The women are also warriors of skill, but are strangely attracted to human males.
The weapons and equipment of this race are similar to those employed by normal humans. The men favor large, double-bladed axes, while the women use either a shorter double-bladed axe or a slim long sword.

AC 6
No. 3-30
SZ 6'
XP: 175
MV 12
ML 11
AL ne
Int Average to very
HD 3
HP 24
MR nil
THAC0 17
#AT 1
Dmg varies

Special Att/Def: Nehwon ghouls are transparent and 80% invisible in normal lighting. In near darkness, they are treated just as if they were invisible.

They do appear in the 2E AD&D monster entries in the Lankhmar material.
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/ghoulank.php

But since they are in the published AD&D material, perhaps you don't count them. ;)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:25 am

The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I don't think there's much in Deviltry that would be directly translatable. It has three stories. "The Snow Women" is Fafhrd's background, "The Unholy Grail" is Mouser's background, and "Ill Met in Lankhmar" is how they started working together.
Well I'm reading D&D novels to get the "vibe" of various campaign settings. So I'd be interested in information that makes Lankmar "feel real" as well as ideas to raid for tabletop plots.

Even things like the names of coins or pubs can be useful, because RPG books sometimes don't give you that stuff. Being able to namedrop a few things like that into a tabletop game causes no problems for anyone who is just playing a D&D game, but could help a Lankhmar fan feel that they are actually playing a Lankhmar game...rather than a D&D game with some Lankhmar themes.
The Dark wrote:Death probably has the most that can be adapted, with "Jewels in the Forest" and "Bazaar of the Bizarre" being the best, and "Thieves' House," "Howling Tower," and "Sunken Land" are useful also.
Thanks.
The Dark wrote:For the other books, stories that particularly grabbed me:
Mist: "Lean Times in Lankhmar", "Cloud of Hate", "Wrong Branch"
Wizardry: "Stardock", "Lords of Quarmall"
"Stardock"? :shock:

"Stardock"! :)

*cough* Lankhmarspace *cough* :twisted:
The Dark wrote:I'm personally not fond of the latter works (as I mentioned before), but Swords of Lankhmar has some interesting ideas with rats.
I'll have to read some of these books at some point. I'll probably buy the novels, before deciding if I want to buy the tabletop books, as I might like the Lankhmar world, but not want to play games in it.

I'll probably read them in publication order.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 am

Big Mac wrote:"Stardock"? :shock:

In the novella "Stardock" (1965, Fantastic), our heroes and an ice-cat companion climb the forbidding mountain Stardock where they hope to find "a pouch of stars." This story is slow in the beginning when the boys are climbing, but once they conquer Stardock, things get pretty exciting and, after leaving some incubating DNA behind, they leave the mountain with a bag of jewels that can only be seen at night. All of Fritz Leiber's stories are gorgeously written, but "Stardock" has some of my favorite lines:

Fafhrd said dreamily, "They say the gods once dwelt and had their smithies on Stardock and from thence, amid jetting fire and showering sparks, launched all the stars; hence her name. They say diamonds, rubies, smaragds -- all great gems -- are the tiny pilot models the gods made of the stars... and then threw carelessly away across the world when their great work was done."
Stardock

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are climbing Stardock, a beautiful and challenging mountain in the Cold Wastes. Fafhrd claims to know the area and its mountains well. His father perished on White Fang. They discuss Gnarfi and Kranach, another pair of rogues who are also attempting to climb this mountain.

During the climb they are accompanied by Hrissa, an ice-cat. It is an eventful climb, and they are beset by various fauna, including a giant white fur-covered snake. Hrissa does her part in fighting off the inimical wildlife.

Finally they reach a place near the top, where they are welcomed into a cave, in which dwell the invisible rulers of this realm. They have already upset Prince Faroomfar, but find romantic solace with his sisters Hirriwi and Keyaira. Apparently the race of people up here need the seed of heroes from below to continue their race.

But they get kicked out of bed after a day and a night, and have the rest of the climb to finish. This they do without too much trouble, but this time without Hrissa, who has stayed inside (and may well have originated from Hirriwi and Keyaira in the first place).

At the top of the mountain they encounter their enemies Gnarfi and Kranach, and embark on the usual mayhem. The invisible dwellers of the mountain also get in on the act, and as a result of all this boisterous behaviour, our two heroes (along with Hrissa, who has reappeared to warn them of the invisible army) are tipped off the mountain. But all is not lost, as Keyaira and Hirriwi (mounted on an invisible flying beast of some kind) rescue the two of them and set them down safely on the ground at the base of the mountains.

And our heroes have come away with a profit: each has a pouch filled with gems so precious that they are visible only in darkness.
Give you any ideas?
Last edited by BlackBat242 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:05 am

BlackBat242 wrote:

In the novella "Stardock" (1965, Fantastic), our heroes and an ice-cat companion climb the forbidding mountain Stardock where they hope to find "a pouch of stars." This story is slow in the beginning when the boys are climbing, but once they conquer Stardock, things get pretty exciting and, after leaving some incubating DNA behind, they leave the mountain with a bag of jewels that can only be seen at night. All of Fritz Leiber's stories are gorgeously written, but "Stardock" has some of my favorite lines:

Fafhrd said dreamily, "They say the gods once dwelt and had their smithies on Stardock and from thence, amid jetting fire and showering sparks, launched all the stars; hence her name. They say diamonds, rubies, smaragds -- all great gems -- are the tiny pilot models the gods made of the stars... and then threw carelessly away across the world when their great work was done."
Ah. Stardock is also the name of an asteroid in the Tears of Selune, in Realmspace. But this is a mountain.

Who/where is this quote from? Do they write anything else about this?
BlackBat242 wrote:
Stardock

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are climbing Stardock, a beautiful and challenging mountain in the Cold Wastes. Fafhrd claims to know the area and its mountains well. His father perished on White Fang. They discuss Gnarfi and Kranach, another pair of rogues who are also attempting to climb this mountain.

During the climb they are accompanied by Hrissa, an ice-cat. It is an eventful climb, and they are beset by various fauna, including a giant white fur-covered snake. Hrissa does her part in fighting off the inimical wildlife.

Finally they reach a place near the top, where they are welcomed into a cave, in which dwell the invisible rulers of this realm. They have already upset Prince Faroomfar, but find romantic solace with his sisters Hirriwi and Keyaira. Apparently the race of people up here need the seed of heroes from below to continue their race.

But they get kicked out of bed after a day and a night, and have the rest of the climb to finish. This they do without too much trouble, but this time without Hrissa, who has stayed inside (and may well have originated from Hirriwi and Keyaira in the first place).

At the top of the mountain they encounter their enemies Gnarfi and Kranach, and embark on the usual mayhem. The invisible dwellers of the mountain also get in on the act, and as a result of all this boisterous behaviour, our two heroes (along with Hrissa, who has reappeared to warn them of the invisible army) are tipped off the mountain. But all is not lost, as Keyaira and Hirriwi (mounted on an invisible flying beast of some kind) rescue the two of them and set them down safely on the ground at the base of the mountains.

And our heroes have come away with a profit: each has a pouch filled with gems so precious that they are visible only in darkness.
Give you any ideas?
You probably should use spoiler tags for something like this, but thanks for the information. :)

I'm not sure where you got this plot summary from, but it does seem to suggest some possible ideas.

The invisible people are an interesting idea. They could be the descendent of marooned spacefarers. An entire race of invisible space people and invisible flying creatures could be something that makes for a unique solar system.

And gems that can only be seen in darkness sound great too. Perhaps they could be the star-gems of that crystal sphere.

However, that's just a first guess. I would have to have a proper read of Lankhmar novels, to get the vibe, before I could be sure this would work. But it certainly is worth the time spent. I'll have to stick this and the other books on my to buy list. :)
Last edited by Big Mac on Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:35 am

Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:

In the novella "Stardock" (1965, Fantastic),
>clipped<
Ah. Stardock is also the name of an asteroid in the Tears of Selune, in Realmspace. But this is a mountain.

A review here:
http://www.amazon.com/Lankhmar-Volume-S ... 1595820787
Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:
Stardock

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are climbing Stardock,
>clipped<
Give you any ideas?
You probably should use spoiler tags for something like this, but thanks for the information. :)
Done - now edit your quote. ;)
Big Mac wrote:I'm not sure where you got this plot summary from, but it does seem to suggest some possible ideas.
From here:
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Swords_Against_Wizardry
Big Mac wrote:The invisible people are an interesting idea. They could be the descendent of marooned spacefarers. An entire race of invisible space people and invisible flying creatures could be something that makes for a unique solar system.

And gems that can only be seen in darkness sound great too. Perhaps they could be the star-gems of that crystal sphere.

However, that's just a first guess. I would have to have a proper read of Lankhmar novels, to get the vibe, before I could be sure this would work. But it certainly is worth the time spent. I'll have to stick this and the other books on my to buy list. :)
I see nothing wrong with doing this.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:38 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:

In the novella "Stardock" (1965, Fantastic),
>clipped<

A review here:
http://www.amazon.com/Lankhmar-Volume-S ... 1595820787
Thanks BlackBat. :)
BlackBat242 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:
Stardock

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are climbing Stardock,
>clipped<
Give you any ideas?
Done - now edit your quote. ;)
Thanks. I've done it too. :)
BlackBat242 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm not sure where you got this plot summary from, but it does seem to suggest some possible ideas.
From here:
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Swords_Against_Wizardry
That's great. Thanks again.
BlackBat242 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The invisible people are an interesting idea. They could be the descendent of marooned spacefarers. An entire race of invisible space people and invisible flying creatures could be something that makes for a unique solar system.

I see nothing wrong with doing this.
Great. I'll come back to this topic at some point.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:57 am

In my opinion, the "essential" Lankhmar stories are the ones contained in the 1957 book Two Sought Adventure. This slim tome contains most of my favorite stories:
(1) "Two Sought Adventure" (AKA "Jewels in the Forest")
(2) "Thieves' House"
(3) "The Bleak Shore"
(4) "The Howling Tower"
(5) "The Sunken Land"
(6) "The Seven Black Priests"
(7) "Claws from the Night"

Most or all of these can be found in the White Wolf omnibus "Ill Met In Lankhmar" and/or in the Ace paperback "Swords and Deviltry", I think. I'd have to dust off those volumes to double-check my accuracy.

My general rule of thumb for Lankhmar stories is that earlier is better, so if you are looking for just a few (instead of reading the whole series) I'd say start with the older copyright dates.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:52 pm

finarvyn wrote:My general rule of thumb for Lankhmar stories is that earlier is better, so if you are looking for just a few (instead of reading the whole series) I'd say start with the older copyright dates.
So old school Lankhmar novels are the best. ;)

One thing I would probably like to do, if I got to enjoy the Nehwon novels, is have the ability to build up to having a full set (without duplicates). So I'm probably going to need to sit down and write down what is in each and every omnibus book, so that I can avoid buying the same thing two or more times.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:26 pm

I've read The Adventures of Alyx by Joanna Russ, which is loosely connected to the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories. Alyx's city of Ourdh is essentially Lankhmar with a different name. Alyx herself appears in a few TSR Lankhmar supplements, including Lankhmar: City of Adventure and Swords of the Undercity.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:One thing I would probably like to do, if I got to enjoy the Nehwon novels, is have the ability to build up to having a full set (without duplicates). So I'm probably going to need to sit down and write down what is in each and every omnibus book, so that I can avoid buying the same thing two or more times.
If you are serious about collecting a compete set of the stories, the omnibus volumes are probably your best bet because there is no duplication and the stories are all arranged in chronological order. (The order that they occur, not the order written.)

The paperback series does the same thing, actually, but isn't as sturdy. ;)
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Otto Harkaman
Orc

Post by Otto Harkaman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:41 am

Audible did excellent audiobooks of the series, read by Neil Gaiman
http://www.audible.com/search?advsearch ... s=Lankhmar

I have digital copies of the Epic and the DC 1973 comic series

draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Otto Harkaman wrote:I have digital copies of the Epic and the DC 1973 comic series

Are there only five of these, comics, or are they just the tip of the iceberg?

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:26 am

Big Mac wrote:Are there only five of these, comics, or are they just the tip of the iceberg?
Only five, although there was a prequel in Wonder Woman #201 and #202.

Return to “Lankhmar”