AD&D Resources: What to grab for Lankhmar?

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

AD&D Resources: What to grab for Lankhmar?

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:11 pm

What are best AD&D sourcebooks/Adventures for Lankhmar?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: AD&D Resources: What to grab for Lankhmar?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:25 am

Havard wrote:What are best AD&D sourcebooks/Adventures for Lankhmar?
There is a Lankhmar cateogory in the Book-House since you wrote this topic. That's got 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D Lankhmar products in it, right now. (I'll have to figure out how to add the later non-D&D Lankhmar products later on.)

I'm guessing you would need to have the 1985 Lankhmar: City of Adventure or the 1993 Lankhmar: City of Adventure.

I'm not sure if CA1 and CA2 are replaced by any of the 2nd Edition Lankhmar books. :?

Hopefully some of the links on the Book-House can help you decide if the specific books are worth hunting down. You are not going to see this stuff on DMs Guild, so it might come down to what you can find, rather than what is best.

(If you do any research and find any reviews or other useful resources for the Lankhmar books, please give me a ping and let me know, so I can add stuff to the Book-House.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 pm

I know the OP is from 2015, but since this topic is at the top of the heap and Lankhmar doesn't get enough love, here goes.

I'd rank the TSR line as follows:

1) 1144 The New Adventures of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser (1996 box) - this all in one game box gives a quick and dirty overview of the city and D&D rules. Not as detailed as CoA, but the highlight is the module, "The Shark Cult of Lankhmar", which is probably the best TSR Lankhmar scenario. Run it like a normal D&D adventure and don't fudge mechanics to keep PC's alive, like the text suggests. Module 8 of 10. Overall box 6 of 10.

2) Lankhmar City of Adventure - main sourcebook needed for extended play in Lankhmar. Good, but not excellent. I don't have the 1e version, so I can't compare differences, but the 2e version has MC-style monster pages that I assume don't appear in the first printing. Good, but TSR never really did the Lankhmar novels justice. 7 of 10.

3) LNA1 Thieves of Lankhmar - decent city accessory with some adventure locations that could be fleshed out. Standard Nigel Findley. 6 of 10.

4) LNR2 Tales of Lankhmar - several short adventures. OK. 5 of 10.

5) CA1 Swords of the Undercity & CA2 Swords of Deceit. 3 modules/book, CA2 has an undercity map. Too railroady, but potentially good if reworked by the DM. 4 of 10

6) LNA2 Newhon - I like Blake Mobley and this epic ain't bad, but it should have been a generic AD&D module as it doesn't fit the feel of the setting and has lots of magic and monsters that break Lankhmar canon. 4 of 10 (would be 6 of 10 if it were generic)

7) Rogues in Lankhmar & Cutthroats of Lankhmar. Both accessories by Wes Nicholson that expand specific districts in Lankhmar. Mediocre to average min-Nineties TSR fare. Uninspired city locations and lots of NPC's. These pissed me off because one of them, I think Rogues, reprinted material that had already appeared in Nicholson's generic accessory, Den of Thieves. I can't believe TSR let him get away with it. Anyway, not horrible, but not good. Useful for ideas and the fold-out maps. 3 of 10.

8) Finally we come to the works of Slade Henson, the worst TSR staff writer, who can be blamed with ruining the Greyhawk Wars! trilogy and probably the Lankhmar and Spelljammer lines:
LNA3 Prince of Lankhmar
LNR1 Wonders of Lankhmar
LNQ1 Slayers of Lankmar
Avengers in Lankhmar

LNA3 is the best of his modules only because it contains a useful city map. LNR1 is an uninspired book of lairs (shorter scenarios than LNR2). LNQ1 is a horrible module and Avengers is its horrible sequel.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 am

Here's a necro for you Havard, if you still are interested.... I think the old 1E book is fabulous. It has little digests of the stories, rules for Lankhmar play, an overland map and a mini-gazetteer of Nehwon, and of course the excellent poster map and neighborhood by neighborhood key. It was quite cheap on ebay, I bought a fresh copy to replace the one we mangled 30 years ago, but I haven't checked on it in a while. It's worth it, I use it for every "biggest city in the world" I have (except where I use Glantri City, or mix the two together).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Great input gentlemen!

I am gradually expanding my Lankhmar collection (multiple systems) so this will be very useful in what to pick up first :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:16 am

vestcoat wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 pm
2) Lankhmar City of Adventure - main sourcebook needed for extended play in Lankhmar. Good, but not excellent. I don't have the 1e version, so I can't compare differences, but the 2e version has MC-style monster pages that I assume don't appear in the first printing. Good, but TSR never really did the Lankhmar novels justice. 7 of 10.
I have the first edition. Instead of MC-style pages, it has a chapter of monsters, including the Astral Wolf, Behemoth, Bird of Tyaa, Sea Cloaker, Water Cobra, Cold Spawn, Cold Woman, Poison Eels, Gladiator Lizard, Hamadryad, Ice Gnome, Leviathon (sic), Marsh Leopard, Night Gaunt, Invisible Flying Ray-Fish, Salt Spider, Skeletal Bat, Snow Serpent, and Giant Worm.

The first edition also has conversion rules that make magic very rare. Black wizards need Int 15 and white wizards Wis 15 just to qualify for the class. All casting times move up one increment (segments become rounds, rounds become turns, etc). All treasure tables have the chance for magic items divided by 10, and no more than one of each type can be found (so Type H, for example, instead of having four of any type and a potion and a scroll, can have one of any type and a potion and a scroll).

The first printing also allows multi-class humans if they have at least a 12 in the prime requisite for each class. Multi-classed wizards are limited to 4th level as wizards.

Return to “Lankhmar”