How easy is it to roleplay outside of the city?

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Post Reply
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23871
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

How easy is it to roleplay outside of the city?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:06 pm

I know that Lankhmar is a city, but how easy is it to run a game that goes outside the city?

Is the campaign setting based on keeping PCs within the city itself, or are there enough sourcebooks and maps to run a game where the PCs can explore the rest of the world?

Do people recommend the use any non-Lankhmar products to bring the rest of the world to life? For example, do any of you drop Lankhmar onto the map of another campaign setting and convert that world to Lankhmar rules?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

rabindranath72
White Dragon
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: How easy is it to roleplay outside of the city?

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:00 am

Big Mac wrote:I know that Lankhmar is a city, but how easy is it to run a game that goes outside the city?

Is the campaign setting based on keeping PCs within the city itself, or are there enough sourcebooks and maps to run a game where the PCs can explore the rest of the world?

Do people recommend the use any non-Lankhmar products to bring the rest of the world to life? For example, do any of you drop Lankhmar onto the map of another campaign setting and convert that world to Lankhmar rules?
Most of the stuff Leiber wrote is indeed focused on Lankhmar. But he also ventured outside the city, offering snippets of the world at large. I have run scenarios set in the lands immediately close to Lankhmar, but in general the experience has been somewhat mixed; with so much stuff going on in the City, the players should have a very good reason to leave it and find adventure elsewhere.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23871
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: How easy is it to roleplay outside of the city?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:05 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I know that Lankhmar is a city, but how easy is it to run a game that goes outside the city?

Is the campaign setting based on keeping PCs within the city itself, or are there enough sourcebooks and maps to run a game where the PCs can explore the rest of the world?

Do people recommend the use any non-Lankhmar products to bring the rest of the world to life? For example, do any of you drop Lankhmar onto the map of another campaign setting and convert that world to Lankhmar rules?
Most of the stuff Leiber wrote is indeed focused on Lankhmar.
I figured that would be the case, but was wondering if Lankhmar GMs would be expected to railroad players into not leaving the city.
rabindranath72 wrote:But he also ventured outside the city, offering snippets of the world at large.
That's good. Do you know what percentage of the novels/short stories have action outside the city?
rabindranath72 wrote:I have run scenarios set in the lands immediately close to Lankhmar, but in general the experience has been somewhat mixed; with so much stuff going on in the City, the players should have a very good reason to leave it and find adventure elsewhere.
How well do the tabletop Lankhmar products support the area outside the city? Do any of the tabletop products...from any of the various publishers...expand on the novel canon to add more locations?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

The Dark
Troll
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:05 pm
Gender: male

Re: How easy is it to roleplay outside of the city?

Post by The Dark » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:34 am

I don't remember everything, but looking at the first four collections of shorts:
Swords and Deviltry: "Snow Women" and "Unholy Grail" take place outside Lankhmar. "Ill Met in Lankhmar" is in the city.
Swords Against Death: "Jewels in the Forest" is outside Lankhmar. "Thieves' House" is in Lankhmar. "Bleak Shore" is both within and outside Lankhmar. "Howling Tower," "Sunken Land," and "Seven Black Priests" detail the pair's journey back to Lankhmar. "Claws from the Night" is in Lankhmar. "Price of Pain-Ease" is both in and out. "Bazaar of the Bizarre" is in. I ignored "Circle curse" because it's just a bridging tale to get the reader from Ill Met to Jewels.
Swords in the Mist: "Cloud of Hate" and "Lean Times in Lankhmar" are in Lankhmar. The other four stories ("Their Mistress, the Sea," "When the Sea-King's Away," "The Wrong Branch," and "Adept's Gambit") are all outside Lankhmar. Adept's Gambit is on Earth in the 5th century BC.
Swords Against Deviltry: 2 out ("Stardock" and "Lords of Quarmall") and 1 in ("Two Best Thieves in Lankhmar"). Quarmall is probably the best of the out-of-Lankhmar stories for setting, since it's a long story set in another city.
So, Book 1 is 2 out, 1 in. Book 2 is 4 out, 3 in, 2 both. Book 3 is 4 out, 2 in. Book 4 is 2 out, 1 in. In total, that's 7 stories set solely in Lankhmar, 12 stories set outside Lankhmar, and 2 stories that are both.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon
Posts: 3305
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 pm
Gender: male

Re: How easy is it to roleplay outside of the city?

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:How well do the tabletop Lankhmar products support the area outside the city?
To some degree. There's a continental map, and descriptions of the various other lands on the continent, in Lankhmar: City of Adventure, and stats for monsters you'll only find if you venture into foreign lands far away from Lankhmar.

rabindranath72
White Dragon
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: How easy is it to roleplay outside of the city?

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:02 pm

The Dark wrote:I don't remember everything, but looking at the first four collections of shorts:
Swords and Deviltry: "Snow Women" and "Unholy Grail" take place outside Lankhmar. "Ill Met in Lankhmar" is in the city.
Swords Against Death: "Jewels in the Forest" is outside Lankhmar. "Thieves' House" is in Lankhmar. "Bleak Shore" is both within and outside Lankhmar. "Howling Tower," "Sunken Land," and "Seven Black Priests" detail the pair's journey back to Lankhmar. "Claws from the Night" is in Lankhmar. "Price of Pain-Ease" is both in and out. "Bazaar of the Bizarre" is in. I ignored "Circle curse" because it's just a bridging tale to get the reader from Ill Met to Jewels.
Swords in the Mist: "Cloud of Hate" and "Lean Times in Lankhmar" are in Lankhmar. The other four stories ("Their Mistress, the Sea," "When the Sea-King's Away," "The Wrong Branch," and "Adept's Gambit") are all outside Lankhmar. Adept's Gambit is on Earth in the 5th century BC.
Swords Against Deviltry: 2 out ("Stardock" and "Lords of Quarmall") and 1 in ("Two Best Thieves in Lankhmar"). Quarmall is probably the best of the out-of-Lankhmar stories for setting, since it's a long story set in another city.
So, Book 1 is 2 out, 1 in. Book 2 is 4 out, 3 in, 2 both. Book 3 is 4 out, 2 in. Book 4 is 2 out, 1 in. In total, that's 7 stories set solely in Lankhmar, 12 stories set outside Lankhmar, and 2 stories that are both.
That's a fair break up. The thing is, although it looks like we see more of out-of-Lankhmar, than within-Lankhmar, no locations other than Lankhmar are visited consistently. From most of the stories we learn very little of the places outside Lankhmar, with the possible exception of Quarmall. As I said, the focus is definitely on Lankhmar.

Post Reply

Return to “Lankhmar”