Wonder Woman in Lankhmar???

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Wonder Woman in Lankhmar???

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 30, 2016 2:41 pm

I just found out that there was a story about Wonder Woman visiting Lankhmar and meeting Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser.

Does anyone know anything about this?

It it total nonsense or is the story good enough to inspire a tabletop adventure?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

AllanP
Cloud Giant

Re: Wonder Woman in Lankhmar???

Post by AllanP » Mon May 30, 2016 5:59 pm

For about 5 years (1968-1972) DC Comics did a makeover on their Wonder Woman character. They removed all the Amazon Princess trappings (star-spangled costume, tiara, magic lasso, etc) and Diana Prince became a siort of Emma Peel/Modesty Blaise adventuress aided by a blind oriental wise man named I-Ching.

A whole range of adventures were told during this period. Teased by a last panel appearance in issue #201, issue #202 cover dated October 1972 has the story in which Wonder Woman (and Catwoman) encounter Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser in a story written by Samuel R Delaney and drawn by Dick Giordano. Diana Princeteams with Fafhrd, the Mouser, Catwoman and I-Ching to battle a dimension-crossing magic user named Gahwron

This seems to have been a prequel teaser or try-out for DC's short-lived (only 5 issues) 1973 title "Sword iof Sorcery" which featured stories of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.
Issue #1: Ubnititled story - "adapted from Fritz Leiber's story, 'The Price of Pain Ease'"
Issue #2 - "Revenge of the Skull of Jewels" — "from Fritz Leiber's story, 'Thieves' House'"
Issue #3 - "Betrayal!" — original story by Denny O'Neil, art by Howard Chaykin
Issue #4 - "The Cloud of Hate!" — "adapted from a story by Fritz Leiber" ("The Cloud of Hate"), and
"The Prophecy!" — original story by Denny O'Neil — featuring "Young Fafhrd the Barbarian"
Issue #5 - "The Sunken Land" — adaptation of a 19442 Leiber story, and
"The Mouse Alone" — original story by George Alec Effinger

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 30, 2016 6:58 pm

AllanP wrote:For about 5 years (1968-1972) DC Comics did a makeover on their Wonder Woman character. They removed all the Amazon Princess trappings (star-spangled costume, tiara, magic lasso, etc) and Diana Prince became a siort of Emma Peel/Modesty Blaise adventuress aided by a blind oriental wise man named I-Ching.
Aha. So this is some sort of rebooted non-super Wonder Woman. I've seen this mentioned, but I've never really been into comics. (I could never keep up with them.)

Was she still an Amazon (despite not being a princess) or did they also reboot her cultural heriatiage, while teaming her up with the blind oriental wise man? (Much as I love Linda Carter in the Wonder Woman role, she never struck me as particularly South American looking.)
AllanP wrote:A whole range of adventures were told during this period. Teased by a last panel appearance in issue #201, issue #202 cover dated October 1972 has the story in which Wonder Woman (and Catwoman) encounter Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser in a story written by Samuel R Delaney and drawn by Dick Giordano. Diana Princeteams with Fafhrd, the Mouser, Catwoman and I-Ching to battle a dimension-crossing magic user named Gahwron
...and Catwoman...? :!: :o

Curiouser and curiouser. Was that a normal Catwoman or a modified non-super Catwoman?

"Gahwron" sounds a bit like it is formed in a similar way to "Newhon". Is that something created by Fritz Leiber (or just something created to sound like Fritz Leiber)?

What's with the dimension-crossing magic-user? Is it an excuse to send Wonder Woman to Newhon (or bring Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser to Earth)?
AllanP wrote:This seems to have been a prequel teaser or try-out for DC's short-lived (only 5 issues) 1973 title "Sword iof Sorcery" which featured stories of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.
Issue #1: Ubnititled story - "adapted from Fritz Leiber's story, 'The Price of Pain Ease'"
Issue #2 - "Revenge of the Skull of Jewels" — "from Fritz Leiber's story, 'Thieves' House'"
Issue #3 - "Betrayal!" — original story by Denny O'Neil, art by Howard Chaykin
Issue #4 - "The Cloud of Hate!" — "adapted from a story by Fritz Leiber" ("The Cloud of Hate"), and
"The Prophecy!" — original story by Denny O'Neil — featuring "Young Fafhrd the Barbarian"
Issue #5 - "The Sunken Land" — adaptation of a 19442 Leiber story, and
"The Mouse Alone" — original story by George Alec Effinger

regards,
Ah! So two original stories here (three if you count the Wonder Woman/Catwoman story). Maybe one or more of them could be converted into a tabletop plotline. Are the new stories any good?

Thanks for your help here. This seemed so obscure that I wasn't sure anyone would know.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:14 am

Big Mac wrote:
AllanP wrote:Issue #3 - "Betrayal!" — original story by Denny O'Neil, art by Howard Chaykin
Issue #4 - and "The Prophecy!" — original story by Denny O'Neil — featuring "Young Fafhrd the Barbarian"
Issue #5 - and "The Mouse Alone" — original story by George Alec Effinger

regards,
Ah! So two original stories here (three if you count the Wonder Woman/Catwoman story).
Three original stories (four if you count the Wonder Woman/Catwoman story).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

AllanP
Cloud Giant

Post by AllanP » Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 am

Big Mac wrote:Aha. So this is some sort of rebooted non-super Wonder Woman. I've seen this mentioned, but I've never really been into comics. (I could never keep up with them.)

Was she still an Amazon (despite not being a princess) or did they also reboot her cultural heriatiage, while teaming her up with the blind oriental wise man? (Much as I love Linda Carter in the Wonder Woman role, she never struck me as particularly South American looking.)
Yes she was still technically an Amazon at that time. In the series, the race of Amazons (on Paradise Island) left Earth to shift to another dimension *for reasons I can't recall). She gave up her powers and costume and remained on Earth, meting I-Ching and donning a white trouser suit. Issue #204 (Freb 1973) of the comic book rertrned the whole Amazon/Paradise Island setting with I-Ching being assasinated and the classic costime returning. From issue#212 (Jul 1974) the series became more tightly integrated with other DC titles guest-starring other JLA memebers. This may have been engineered by the appearance of the 1974 Wonder Woman TV movie with Cathy Lee Crosby.
As for Linda Carter not looking South American - well the Amazons of the series are based on the Amazons of Greek mythology who lived in a region in what is modern day Ukraine, or maybe Anatolia or maybe Libya - differing myths. I think the Amazon river was named by early Spaish explorers for the native female warriors that attack, making the explorers think of the Greek myths?ed them
Big Mac wrote:...and Catwoman...? :!: :o

Curiouser and curiouser. Was that a normal Catwoman or a modified non-super Catwoman?
That was Catwoman (Selina Kyle) from the Batman title. The character had been primarily active during the 1940s and 1950s, but with the character's inclusion in the Adam West Batman tv series she returned as regular opponent for Batman in the comic books. DC changed her costume design in practically every appearance it seemed during the late 1960s/1970s. So this Wonder Woman team-up is the Batman viullain with her cat burglary skills, etc.
Big Mac wrote:Ah! So two original stories here (three if you count the Wonder Woman/Catwoman story). Maybe one or more of them could be converted into a tabletop plotline. Are the new stories any good?
It's been a long time since I last read them, I can't recall...
Big Mac wrote:Thanks for your help here. This seemed so obscure that I wasn't sure anyone would know.
No problem. I'm a comics fan from way back

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue May 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Catwoman and the Gray Mouser seem like they'd make a good couple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 pm

:o

Cool findings. I love this type of crossovers :mrgreen:

Reminds me of the Marvel / Conan crossovers and the Conan / Elric Crossovers.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue May 31, 2016 8:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:Was she still an Amazon (despite not being a princess) or did they also reboot her cultural heriatiage, while teaming her up with the blind oriental wise man? (Much as I love Linda Carter in the Wonder Woman role, she never struck me as particularly South American looking.)
I believe she was still an Amazon, just depowered for some reason. It probably didn't come up much, but I doubt they explicitly retconned her to not be from Themyscira anymore.
...and Catwoman...? :!: :o

To my knowledge the only Catwoman who has ever been "super" is Patience Phillips, the universally panned Halle Berry movie version. I didn't think she was too bad myself, but she's definitely not the core character. There's probably some storyline out there where Selena gets enhancements of some sort, but in general she's like Batman - definitively within the human range of potential, albeit at the high extreme thereof.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:14 am

My mistake. Batman is mad people in weird costumes who have weird gadgets.

I should have asked if she had the usual cat costume.

Return to “Lankhmar”