Anyone played CA1 Swords of the Undercity?

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Anyone played CA1 Swords of the Undercity?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Has anyone played CA1 Swords of the Undercity?

Is the "Undercity" mentioned in the title a reference to Lankhmar's Underdark? Or do they mean underworld, as in stuff like the black market?

Is the adventure based on any of the Lankhmar short stories or novels? Does it feature any NPCs that are characters in the stories?

This was written for 1st Edition AD&D, but is it worth getting this adventure to use with other rules? Do any of the later versions of Lankhmar include any material that features the same NPCs or that otherwise works well with the plot of CA1?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Anyone played CA1 Swords of the Undercity?

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:25 am

I haven't read through (or even seen) it, but from a discussion thread* comes this gem from one who had played through both CA1 & CA2:
Swords of the Undercity & Swords of Deceit module

My V2.0 weekly group just finished the CA1 & 2 modules.

Set in Lankhmar, lvls 6 & 7, the story line is cool, but restrictive if you follow to the letter.

Had a blast, and I only wanted to strangle the DM 5 times. (personal best)

We played all the scenarios, and our DM didnt add much, so it was a s close to authentic as we could get.

The only real catch, the series is mainly in the sewers, so when we finished, the party smells and is not allowed in any taverns or shops! We can't even get a stable boy (npc) to clean our stuff.

So, one of the party members decides to use his "Ring of Wishes" OH BOY!
Well we all have clean equipment now,
BUT, we lost all our XP, & loot! And the story was reset!

Cool modules, but lacks the finesse of other old TSR stuff. If you're lucky enough to have them, watch our for the big fight at end of part 2.
*spoiler from an old timer* Bring flasks of oil for the rats.

I note that the thread was in the "roleplay & D20 roleplay" section, so perhaps the level difference relates to a version other than 1E AD&D (I suspect 2E from the first sentence, where specialization etc would make characters more powerful than their 1E level counterparts, which would be why 6-7th level instead of 8th+).

It also sounds like someone wished "to be like they were before going in the sewers" instead of "our clothes, equipment, and bodies to be cleaned of the filth and smell currently on them" like a wise player would! :facepalm:

* Note that this is an "insecure" link (improper security certificate) - I decided to risk it, and applied a one-time exemption so I could read the thread. There was only the one comment, unfortunately:: http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ?p=4139311

MODERATOR EDIT (by Big Mac): "URL changed from "https" to "http", as you don't need a security certificate to read the DDO Forums. :)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:57 pm

You get 3 adventures, one with a underground (as in secretive) cult and one literally under the city (as in sewer system).

The sewer one has ties to later adventure in LNR2 Tales of Lankhmar (ad&d2nd ed).

The biggest issue with the Lankhmar adventures is then then to be etelling of some of the short stories and expect players to by thieves or multiclass thieves.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:18 am

Boneguard wrote:You get 3 adventures, one with a underground (as in secretive) cult and one literally under the city (as in sewer system).

The sewer one has ties to later adventure in LNR2 Tales of Lankhmar (ad&d2nd ed).
Thanks!
Boneguard wrote:The biggest issue with the Lankhmar adventures is then then to be etelling of some of the short stories and expect players to by thieves or multiclass thieves.
If that's one of the central themes of Lankhmar, I suppose I could live with that. But I think it should probably be something that all the players are told before they agree to play a Lankhmar game, so that nobody feels like they have been forced into playing thieves.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:22 am

BlackBat242 wrote:I haven't read through (or even seen) it, but from a discussion thread* comes this gem from one who had played through both CA1 & CA2:
Swords of the Undercity & Swords of Deceit module

My V2.0 weekly group just finished the CA1 & 2 modules.

Set in Lankhmar, lvls 6 & 7, the story line is cool, but restrictive if you follow to the letter.

Had a blast, and I only wanted to strangle the DM 5 times. (personal best)

We played all the scenarios, and our DM didnt add much, so it was a s close to authentic as we could get.

The only real catch, the series is mainly in the sewers, so when we finished, the party smells and is not allowed in any taverns or shops! We can't even get a stable boy (npc) to clean our stuff.

So, one of the party members decides to use his "Ring of Wishes" OH BOY!
Well we all have clean equipment now,
BUT, we lost all our XP, & loot! And the story was reset!

Cool modules, but lacks the finesse of other old TSR stuff. If you're lucky enough to have them, watch our for the big fight at end of part 2.
*spoiler from an old timer* Bring flasks of oil for the rats.

I note that the thread was in the "roleplay & D20 roleplay" section, so perhaps the level difference relates to a version other than 1E AD&D (I suspect 2E from the first sentence, where specialization etc would make characters more powerful than their 1E level counterparts, which would be why 6-7th level instead of 8th+).

It also sounds like someone wished "to be like they were before going in the sewers" instead of "our clothes, equipment, and bodies to be cleaned of the filth and smell currently on them" like a wise player would! :facepalm:
That's the Dungeons & Dragons Online forum. They are mostly talking about DDO over there (which is based on 3rd Edition rules and the Eberron campaign setting). I'm guessing that just assumed that people would talk about 3e gaming. I'm also guessing they haven't bothered updating to 4e or 5e, as there are not many topics there.

That's really bad luck for a wish spell. (I don't think I would waste a wish getting rid of a bad smell.)

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:48 am

Big Mac wrote:
Boneguard wrote:The biggest issue with the Lankhmar adventures is then then to be etelling of some of the short stories and expect players to by thieves or multiclass thieves.
If that's one of the central themes of Lankhmar, I suppose I could live with that. But I think it should probably be something that all the players are told before they agree to play a Lankhmar game, so that nobody feels like they have been forced into playing thieves.
The short stories written by F. Leiber in the setting of Lankhmar are around 2 (guildless) thieves and adventurers and their exploits in and outside of the City. Plus the thief guild is the real power in the city not the Overlord. So I would assume a good GM would warn the PC about the overall the he is having to go.

There is lot of potential in the setting if you avoid published adventure (or use some the 2nd edition adventure seeds) for non-thieves campaign as a few of the classes have been modified (Ranger have no spells, there is no Cleric per se, sorcery is either white or black and your light mentioned must match, human nature multiclass).
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:08 am

Boneguard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
The short stories written by F. Leiber in the setting of Lankhmar are around 2 (guildless) thieves and adventurers and their exploits in and outside of the City. Plus the thief guild is the real power in the city not the Overlord. So I would assume a good GM would warn the PC about the overall the he is having to go.
Adventures that are optimised towards thieves seems like a logical way to go with Lankhmar. :)
Boneguard wrote:There is lot of potential in the setting if you avoid published adventure (or use some the 2nd edition adventure seeds) for non-thieves campaign as a few of the classes have been modified (Ranger have no spells, there is no Cleric per se, sorcery is either white or black and your light mentioned must match, human nature multiclass).
Maybe we should discuss class options in Lankhmar, in another topic. :)

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Those are probably the best for the AD&D implementation of Lankhmar. Most later materials range from "meh" to "WTF?!" ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:59 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Those are probably the best for the AD&D implementation of Lankhmar. Most later materials range from "meh" to "WTF?!" ;)
I suppose that, if you are spinning off of a line of novels, you only have so much canon to base things from before you have to start making more and more things up.

Return to “Lankhmar”