What Class options/restrictions does Lankhmar have?

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
thorr-kan
Ogre

Re: What Class options/restrictions does Lankhmar have?

Post by thorr-kan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Over in viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11405, I discussed a list of 2ED rogue classes. It's one the last posts in the thread; I can't get it paired down to an individual post.

That might be useful to anyone running a Lankhmar campaign.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:31 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there any later editions of D&D that have rat-headed humanoid monsters (as opposed to wererats)?
The Thunder Rift module "Quest for the Silver Sword" has ratlings, which are humanoid rats.
Thanks. They could be useful inspiration (when that module goes PoD and I can afford to buy a copy ;) ).
Cthulhudrew wrote:EDIT: There are also Moonrats, from 3E Bestiary III, which- while not humanoid- seem sort of like the Lankhmar rats.
Is Bestiary III a 3rd Party Publisher product, under the d20 System licence? I don't recall the name.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 am

agathokles wrote:
Big Mac wrote: I guess that people who play with other editions of D&D could easily use duel-class progression as an optional rule, if they like how this works.
Maybe, but 3e's multiclassing is quite similar (although more flexible at the expense of character effectiveness), and 4e has too different design principles (you'd probably use Initiate feats to cover the same ground). It could work in BECMI for humans (indeed, Haldemar of Haaken is described as a mage who also has some thieving skills, and one NPC in Wrath of the Immortals is a former Cleric turned Fighter, but retraining could better cover this latter case, and General skills could cover the former), and possibly in AD&D 1e if not already present (I'm not familiar enough with 1e). As for 5e, I don't know it nearly enough to say whether the principle could be adopted or not.
I suppose that, in a Lankhmar campaign, the main thing would be to mix in these other classes with thievery. So while I don't understand what initiat feats are, I'm guessing that a 4e Lankhmar PC would be playing another class but using thief feats.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:35 am

thorr-kan wrote:
Boneguard wrote:Spell casting
The Spell casting time in increased to the next time increment (ex: Segment becomes Round)
It takes 1 week to recover a spell
The time increment increase is a frequent rule change for "low magic" campaigns. It was used for Gothic Earth and for a few of the HR (green book) series.
I might start a topic about this rule elsewhere. It does sound like it would make a change to the feel of a game. :)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:59 am

Big Mac wrote:Is Bestiary III a 3rd Party Publisher product, under the d20 System licence? I don't recall the name.
It is from Paizo Publishing, meant for use with the Pathfinder RPG but is easily retro-converted to D&D 3.X.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is Bestiary III a 3rd Party Publisher product, under the d20 System licence? I don't recall the name.
It is from Paizo Publishing, meant for use with the Pathfinder RPG but is easily retro-converted to D&D 3.X.
Righto! Thanks for the help.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:32 am

Big Mac wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:EDIT: There are also Moonrats, from 3E Bestiary III, which- while not humanoid- seem sort of like the Lankhmar rats.
Is Bestiary III a 3rd Party Publisher product, under the d20 System licence? I don't recall the name.
D'oh! Confusing my products (and product lines). The Moonrat I'm thinking of was from the 3E Monster Manual II, not Bestiary III. Not sure where/what I was thinking there.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
D'oh! Confusing my products (and product lines). The Moonrat I'm thinking of was from the 3E Monster Manual II, not Bestiary III. Not sure where/what I was thinking there.
Thanks. I have Monster Manual III. I'll have to look these Moonrats up. (I wonder what moon the Moonrats come from. :halo: )

Return to “Lankhmar”