RuneQuest support for Lankhmar

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

RuneQuest support for Lankhmar

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Mongoose Publishing used to make Lankhmar books, but it looks like they have dropped the product line now.

(I found a super-old topic called What happened to Nehwon? that was written in 2007 - that year was 1 BP* so this isn't new news.)

* BP = Before PIazza! :P

How long were Mongoose Publishing putting out Lankhmar products?

How well did they cover the setting?

Is there any fan support out there for RuneQuest fans using Lankhmar?

How does the community support for RuneQuest compare to the community support for D&D and other rulesets that Lankmar has had?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: RuneQuest support for Lankhmar

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 pm

From what I understand there were two sourcebooks produced for Lankmar under the Mongoose Edition of RuneQuest (MRQ):
  • RuneQuest Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar (2006, and Revised 2009)
  • RuneQuest Lankhmar: Nehwon (2007)
I don't know, but I would assume that other MRQ sourcebooks could also be useful for running Lankhmar with that system.

I am not sure if there is a strong support for Lankhmar among RuneQuest fans. Most RuneQuest fans seem to be most interested in Glorantha, but there are quite a few other settings that have been published for that system over the years, so I'm sure there is some fandom here and there.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 pm
From what I understand there were two sourcebooks produced for Lankmar under the Mongoose Edition of RuneQuest (MRQ):
  • RuneQuest Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar (2006, and Revised 2009)
  • RuneQuest Lankhmar: Nehwon (2007)
That does not seem like much, but I guess it is mostly one city. So I suppose that two fairly large books could give an imaginative GM all they need.
Havard wrote:
I don't know, but I would assume that other MRQ sourcebooks could also be useful for running Lankhmar with that system.
I guess I didn't think of that.

I don't know how RuneQuest works, so I'm not sure what generic books exist and how they could combine with the Lankhmar books.
Havard wrote:
I am not sure if there is a strong support for Lankhmar among RuneQuest fans. Most RuneQuest fans seem to be most interested in Glorantha, but there are quite a few other settings that have been published for that system over the years, so I'm sure there is some fandom here and there.
I've not heard of strong support for Lankhmar in the D&D community either. It seems like a niche market that needs fans to come together and support each other. I wonder if RuneQuest had a larger or smaller fanbase than D&D did.

It sure would be good to bump into someone with a Lankhmar/RuneQuest website or at least someone who has played the game. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I just heard there was a RuneQuest adventure called Swords Against Sorcery.

I'm not sure if that's something based on the original Lankhmar fiction, or something that RuneQuest has brought to the table (that might be useful for people who use Lankhmar with other systems).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 pm

I found another book called Sword Against Sorcery (2007): http://scrollsoflankhmar.com/oeuvre:fic ... nstsorcery
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:35 pm
I guess I didn't think of that.

I don't know how RuneQuest works, so I'm not sure what generic books exist and how they could combine with the Lankhmar books.
I don't know alot either, but there was an Arms and Equipment Book and Two Monster Books that might be useful. Perhaps some of the magic books as well, but I don't know if Lankhmar magic is different from that of those RQ books...
Havard wrote:
I've not heard of strong support for Lankhmar in the D&D community either. It seems like a niche market that needs fans to come together and support each other. I wonder if RuneQuest had a larger or smaller fanbase than D&D did.[/quote]

Well, I think alot of D&D players had a soft spot for Lankhmar, especially in the old days since Fritz Leiber was a close friend of Gary Gygax and apparently had quite a bit of influence on D&D. OTOH, Lankhmar is quite different from D&D too with it only having humans for instance...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Lankhmar”