The Atlas of Middle-Earth (Revised Edition)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.

The Atlas of Middle-Earth (Revised Edition)

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:29 am

I found a book on Amazon called The Atlas of Middle-Earth (Revised Edition):
The Atlas of Middle-Earth at Amazon wrote:The Atlas of Middle-Earth (Revised Edition) Paperback – April 10, 2001
The Atlas of Middle-Earth

Karen Wynn Fonstad's THE ATLAS OF MIDDLE-EARTH is an essential volume that will enchant all Tolkien fans. Here is the definitive guide to the geography of Middle-earth, from its founding in the Elder Days through the Third Age, including the journeys of Bilbo, Frodo, and the Fellowship of the Ring. Authentic and updated -- nearly one third of the maps are new, and the text is fully revised -- the atlas illuminates the enchanted world created in THE SILMARILLION, THE HOBBIT, and THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

Hundreds of two-color maps and diagrams survey the journeys of the principal characters day by day -- including all the battles and key locations of the First, Second, and Third Ages. Plans and descriptions of castles, buildings, and distinctive landforms are given, along with thematic maps describing the climate, vegetation, languages, and population distribution of Middle-earth throughout its history. An extensive appendix and an index help readers correlate the maps with Tolkien's novels.

Has anyone got this book?

How useful is it for tabletop play in Middle-earth?

The description says that there are 224 pages, but how many different maps are there? Is it maps of various cities, or a collection of maps that zoom into various areas or what? Could you chop up a couple of copies of this book and fit some or all of the pages to create one big map?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The Atlas of Middle-Earth (Revised Edition)

Postby AllanP » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 am

That's the cover of the 2002 US paperback edition.
There's YouTube review of this book on-line which will give yopu an idea of the contents as the reviewer turns the pages of the book.
I think the first version was published in 1981.
I have a 1992 "Revised Edition".
The book was reissued in June 2017 still as "Revised edition".
It's unclear if there;'s any substantive changes between the latest edition and the 1991 version.
I believe the 1992 edition was an update to reflect information in Christopher Tolkien's "History of Middle-Earth" volumes, and I suspect the 2002 edition opictured reflects information from the four volumes of The History of Middle Earth that appeared after the previous edition was published. The Atlas' author, Karen Wynn Fonstad (who had worked as Director of Cartographic Services at the University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh) died in 2005. She also produced The Atlas of Pern based on the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, and The Atlas of the Land based on The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. And for RPGs - she also did Atlas of the Dragonlance World and The Forgotten Realms Atlas.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress
AllanP
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks Allan.

I picked up that Atlas of the Dragonlance World a while back. (I asked if it was any good and someone got back to me and said: "Buy it! Buy it now!" or words to that effect.) I really enjoyed the book, but it wasn't a full atlas of Krynn (because they added Taladas after she finished it).

Part of the usefulness of these fictional atlases seems to come down to how much material is made available to the artist who is going to do the cartography.

Anyhoo, thanks for the link to that video. It will mean that I can have a good flip through that book to see what is there. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boddynock » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:41 pm

It's kind of crazy to wake up and see a large g+ ad with a book cover that I actually owned and received as a gift back in 2005. Before posting I did thumb through the book to get a general overview. You get a great deal of 1 page or 2 page spread maps of Middle Earth through its inception, before the coming of even the Elves when it was the Valar against Melkor. You get first age Beleriand, the movements of the Noldor, and several maps of battles with lines that show how the armies ultimately moved and where they stopped. Sometimes you get very specific, quite detailed maps in my opinion- for instance, if you wanted to run a 1st Age game all about the Siege of Angband, you get a very good map that shows an overview of Melkor's fortress and the Elven encampments that surround the area, up until Melkor breaks out at the Battle of Sudden Flame.

The 2002 atlas also includes overviews of specific buildings/cities: Menegroth and Nargothrond in the 1st age, Orthanc, Minas Tirith, Helms Deep, Lothlorien - to name a few, most I saw offer a 1 page detailed drawing or overview map that shows placement of rooms and that sort. So, you third age adventurers/MERP gamers. If you ever wanted to break out the herbs of water breathing an cave dive in sunken Menegroth, you get your chance to see the overview map of the fortress (cave diving is not recommended without extended herbs of water breathing).

You also get migration/movement maps. Like I mentioned earlier, this includes material such as the flight of the Noldor. It also includes stuff like the path the Fellowship of the Ring took, or the path that Thorin and Company took to get to the Lonely Mountain.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Return to Middle-earth