Aulë and the Dwarves

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.

Aulë and the Dwarves

Postby Havard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:33 am

Tolkien Gateway wrote:Aulë (Quenya, pronounced [ˈa͡ʊle]) was a Vala and one of the Aratar, also known as the the Smith and Smith of the Valar, concerned with rock, metal, nature of substances and works of craft.

Source.

Aulë created the dwarves, the only race not to be created by Eru / Illuvatar. As JamesMishler mentioned in the thread about the Maiar, neither Maiar nor Valar permit worship. So how do the Dwarves look upon their creator in the 3rd age? My own Dwarf character from our MERP campaign, Fahrorin Bearfell, saw himself as a follower of Aulë. Is there any way I can tweak this as not to contradict Tolkien too much?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Aulë and the Dwarves

Postby Boneguard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Although Valar and Maiar were not workshiped in the same sense most Deities are in RPGs, Dwarves revered Aulë greatly since all knows that hecreated the 7 Fathers of the Dwarves, and they know they will join him after their death, so naturally they are more incline to favor him over the others.

So a Follower of Aulë would still be "in canon" provided it is more of a private worship and not outright proselytisation.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby JamesMishler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:35 am

What Boneguard said.

Faith in Tolkien fell into two main types: the subtle, personal faiths of the Dunedain and Elves (Eru), and Dwarves (Aule), and the "Demonolatry" of the Orcs, Trolls, and Men of Morgoth and Sauron.

The Hobbits were merry and naïve agnostics, not having any sort of religion nor even, AFAIK, any concept of such.

Many Men also were without any sort of faith in gods or spirits, though they rightfully feared (and often placated) Sauron and his minions, such was not for most a religion as such in D&D terms (i.e., there were no clerics, merely the normal leaders who would pay the needed tribute). Tehre were also some "religions" that were based on garbled misinterpretations of the nature and position of the Valar and Maiar, but again, these produced no clergy and were of little import, even at their height.

That said, if you WANT to make your version of Middle-earth more D&D-like go ahead and use the Valar and Maiar as a pantheon. They are perfectly designed for it!

The old MERP book, Valar & Maiar: The Immortal Powers is practically a Deities & Demigods for Middle-earth...

Once upon a time, I was working up a Fourth Age game using 3E, and had as the main thrust of it the attempt of Morgoth to return (Tharizdun-like). He had a growing sect of "anti-clerics," which were balanced by a growing sect of Valar-priests...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:02 am

Is Aulë supposed to be a gigantic dwarf? (Are the dwarves created in his image?)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boddynock » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

I believe the Dwarves were suppose to be created something like his image. The creation of the Dwarves, and this is recounting from the last time I read the Silmarillion, is that Aulë grew impatient with the first born (Men and Elves) and resolved to carve his own race as he is a craftsmen and inventor, he wants to invent. He crafted the 7 Dwarves and had begun to teach them things like language (probably runic script) when Eru Iluvatar chided him and pointed out his creations were merely mimicking what he was teaching rather than learning. At first Aulë despairs, and resolves to crush his 7 Dwarven creations rather than offend Iluvatar- but in his mercy, Eru gives his creation will (probably explains the picture of the Dwarves in panic, they've just gotten will and are about to be crushed).

Iluvatar allows the creation but says the Dwarves have to sleep until the Elves and Men come into the world. He predicts or decrees, in someway Eru knows that Dwarves and Elves shall at times quarrel- but, for a period, the Dwarves slumber until they can be awakened later. So, I imagine Dwarves revere and maybe fear him a little, after all, he was prepared to squish the Dwarven forebearers rather than offend the Overgod.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Falconer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:15 am

In ME, only baddies build temples. Beyond that stricture, I’m not sure how helpful it is to insist that religion and worship don’t exist among non-baddies. The Elves sing to Elbereth. Hobbits say “Lor bless you,” and write folk tales about figures like Farmer Maggot (pet theory). The Rangers of Ithilien face West and observe a moment of silence before supper. Men of Twilight (neutrals) know Béma (Oromë) and presumably other crypto-Valar. If you’re playing D&D, mainly you simply want some sort of deity or something to swear by. Dwarves obviously know about Mahal (Aulë), but I think it fits their flavor best for them to call upon their Fathers; they seem to be big on Dúrin, for example, and to a lesser degree their more recent ancestors.
Falconer
Troll

Return to Middle-earth