1937 Hobbit as a Setting

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Post Reply
User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 am

Last edited by Giant Space Hamster on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tweaking link to point at top of article, rather than the comments section

User avatar
Tim Baker
Axe Beak
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:51 am
Gender: male
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 am

I really like that. I'd never considered it before.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

zontoxira
Bugbear
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Gender: male
Location: Sigil, The Lady's Ward

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by zontoxira » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 am

That's quite interesting, indeed. I also enjoy the cartoony drawings of the Hobbit, showcasing its light-hearted nature, compared to the more serious tone of the Lord of the Rings.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:21 pm

This opens doors of possibilities in my mind. I was always intimidated by the incredible narrative of the LOTR. I never played in or DMed a Middle-Earth campaign because of that. I couldn't make it my own. With this idea in mind I could see myself running a pre-LOTR campaign. Funny how sometimes you have to look at something from a different angle to make it work for you ! :-D

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 22373
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm

zontoxira wrote:That's quite interesting, indeed. I also enjoy the cartoony drawings of the Hobbit, showcasing its light-hearted nature, compared to the more serious tone of the Lord of the Rings.
The Hobbit is definitely a more cheerful book that Lord of the Rings.

(The same could probably be said of Harry Potter, where the first couple of books are a lot more fun than the last couple of books.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:
zontoxira wrote:That's quite interesting, indeed. I also enjoy the cartoony drawings of the Hobbit, showcasing its light-hearted nature, compared to the more serious tone of the Lord of the Rings.
The Hobbit is definitely a more cheerful book that Lord of the Rings.

(The same could probably be said of Harry Potter, where the first couple of books are a lot more fun than the last couple of books.)
Indeed. I found the third Potter book «Prisoner of Azkaban» the most unsettling of the series. But yes the books acquires a very dark tone with the last two.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 22373
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:44 pm

shesheyan wrote:This opens doors of possibilities in my mind. I was always intimidated by the incredible narrative of the LOTR. I never played in or DMed a Middle-Earth campaign because of that. I couldn't make it my own. With this idea in mind I could see myself running a pre-LOTR campaign. Funny how sometimes you have to look at something from a different angle to make it work for you ! :-D
You're right.

The narrative of Lord of the Rings ties in very much with Sauron and his dark forces, while the narrative of The Hobbit shows a Middle-earth where Sauron is not totally dominant.

It's really the difference between playing in a setting where nations have various conflicts and a setting hit by global warefare.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:
shesheyan wrote:This opens doors of possibilities in my mind. I was always intimidated by the incredible narrative of the LOTR. I never played in or DMed a Middle-Earth campaign because of that. I couldn't make it my own. With this idea in mind I could see myself running a pre-LOTR campaign. Funny how sometimes you have to look at something from a different angle to make it work for you ! :-D
You're right.

The narrative of Lord of the Rings ties in very much with Sauron and his dark forces, while the narrative of The Hobbit shows a Middle-earth where Sauron is not totally dominant.

It's really the difference between playing in a setting where nations have various conflicts and a setting hit by global warefare.
I didn't find the global warfare intimidating. The problem I have with LOTR (Star Wars IV-VI, Dragon Lance) is my inability to ignore the incredible feats of the heroes. Everything I imagine pales in comparison. I feel like there is no room for my narratives. My player's characters are only secondary characters in the bigger story of those settings. I want my guys to be the «Big Damn Heroes» ! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbFxBiY4sGw

User avatar
finarvyn
Hobgoblin
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:23 pm
Gender: male
Location: Chicago = Greyhawk
Contact:

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by finarvyn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 am

shesheyan wrote:The problem I have with LOTR (Star Wars IV-VI, Dragon Lance) is my inability to ignore the incredible feats of the heroes. Everything I imagine pales in comparison. I feel like there is no room for my narratives. My player's characters are only secondary characters in the bigger story of those settings. I want my guys to be the «Big Damn Heroes» ! ;)
I get that, which is why I try to avoid those specific time periods (or I have to assume that those events don't happen and that the characters will need to fill in that role). One thing I like about TOR and AiME is that their time slection is 5 years after the Battle of the Five Armies. This means that the events of The Hobbit are all done and the events of LotR are far in the future, so characters basically have to find other things to do. And if someone gets the idea of "hey, let's go to the Shire and find Bilbo and take his ring" and they go there, they won't find Bilbo or the Ring. ;)
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by shesheyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm

finarvyn wrote:
shesheyan wrote:The problem I have with LOTR (Star Wars IV-VI, Dragon Lance) is my inability to ignore the incredible feats of the heroes. Everything I imagine pales in comparison. I feel like there is no room for my narratives. My player's characters are only secondary characters in the bigger story of those settings. I want my guys to be the «Big Damn Heroes» ! ;)
I get that, which is why I try to avoid those specific time periods (or I have to assume that those events don't happen and that the characters will need to fill in that role). One thing I like about TOR and AiME is that their time slection is 5 years after the Battle of the Five Armies. This means that the events of The Hobbit are all done and the events of LotR are far in the future, so characters basically have to find other things to do. And if someone gets the idea of "hey, let's go to the Shire and find Bilbo and take his ring" and they go there, they won't find Bilbo or the Ring. ;)
You are a wise man. For Star Wars SAGA, I designed a campaign in the Knights of the Old Republic era. I felt free to do what I wanted. Being a Jedi was not such a big fuss since there were many of them (humans and aliens) at that period. Best game of SW we played.

Giorgio
Ogre
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:26 pm
Gender: male

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by Giorgio » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 pm

shesheyan wrote:I didn't find the global warfare intimidating. The problem I have with LOTR (Star Wars IV-VI, Dragon Lance) is my inability to ignore the incredible feats of the heroes. Everything I imagine pales in comparison. I feel like there is no room for my narratives. My player's characters are only secondary characters in the bigger story of those settings. I want my guys to be the «Big Damn Heroes» ! ;)
As a GM who plans on both running a TOR, Star Wars Rebellion and Dragonlance WOTL campaign in the near future, I have given thoughts to how incorporate important NPCs while allowing for my (future) PCs to the be the BDHs!

In each setting I looked at what was written/displayed on screen and I looked for key "inflection points" where the "main characters" had to make a choice or where drawn into a situation and started a chain of events that played out in that series book or movies.

I then make sure to place the PCs at those key "inflection points" so they become the BDHs and the "official main characters" become possible allies, patrons, rivals or contacts, but not be the main protagonists. I have done this in previous games I have run and it has worked out well for me.

User avatar
shesheyan
Fire Giant
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: 1937 Hobbit as a Setting

Post by shesheyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Giorgio wrote:As a GM who plans on both running a TOR, Star Wars Rebellion and Dragonlance WOTL campaign in the near future, I have given thoughts to how incorporate important NPCs while allowing for my (future) PCs to the be the BDHs!

In each setting I looked at what was written/displayed on screen and I looked for key "inflection points" where the "main characters" had to make a choice or where drawn into a situation and started a chain of events that played out in that series book or movies.

I then make sure to place the PCs at those key "inflection points" so they become the BDHs and the "official main characters" become possible allies, patrons, rivals or contacts, but not be the main protagonists. I have done this in previous games I have run and it has worked out well for me.
That is indeed a good way to go about it.

Post Reply

Return to “Middle-earth”