Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War Video Games and your campaign?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War Video Games and your campaign?

Post by Havard » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 pm

• Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (2014)
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War (2017)
Has anyone here played these games? I havent played them myself, but I know them through videos etc.

From what I understand the games depart from canon somewhat and introduces new concepts like the Half-wraith. Do you have any thoughts on how these new additions to Middle-earth lore could be used with a table-top campaign?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Re: Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War Video Games and your campaign?

Post by Tolwen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:59 pm

I haven't played these games myself neither, so my knowledge is limited to what I saw on YT or in ads or forums.

The introduction of SoM/SoW original creations in tabletop campaigns depends - IMHO - largely how much you care for canon and Tolkien lore as the standards for the rules and boundaries of the campaign.
If they are not a priority (and Tolkien's Middle-earth is used more as a suggestion or inspiration) then this stuff is likely very useful and enriching for the campaign. OTOH, if canon/Tolkien lore is important, these things might be used as something that people in the game world might believe in (as existent) when they are actually not (i.e. an false in-game belief/information). As far as Tolkien lore is concerned, these things might best be described as "partially inspired by motives from Tolkien's Middle-earth" ;)
That being said, IMO one could use them at face value (i.e. as they were presented in these games) for a campaign if you want to use them at all, since one shouldn't be concerned about canon or Tolkien lore at this point anymore :)

Best
Tolwen
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:51 am

It looks like the POV character is evil in this, no? Forging a ring, dominating an army of Orcs to battle other Orcs, intriguing with Saruman and Shelob (sexy Shelob??) against Saruron? I’m not a canon purist, when it comes to my games, nor, for that matter, do I think all gaming in Middle-earth has to completely respect and reflect Tolkien’s themes. But, I don’t see myself taking inspiration from this particular direction in a RPG.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

brassdragon
Orc

Post by brassdragon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:03 am

Falconer wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:51 am
It looks like the POV character is evil in this, no?
Yes. I've only played the first game, but the protagonist's quest for vengeance against Sauron quickly leads him into corruption. I've read that the second ends with him becoming a Ringwraith.

These games remind me of the quote about how there's no such thing as an anti-war movie. On the one hand, the story is ultimately about how the POV character's search for power with which to fight Sauron only leads to his becoming a stronger servant of Sauron. On the other, the gameplay is all about gaining powers and using them to kill and dominate orcs.

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 am

Thanks. Yeah.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

chook
Goblin

Post by chook » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 pm

As far as Tolkien purism goes, they fly in the face of many things. You can find quite a few articles and even some rages online that detail why it doesn't work. One link with a fairly shallow analysis is https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questio ... arth-canon.

As a computer game that you might want to pretend is based on some books by a guy called Armin Tamzarian it is fairly fun to play but I would be avoiding any reference to it in terms of authentic Tolkien lore.

I didn't purchase the second one because of the loot box issue.

Return to “Middle-earth”