Tolkien Quest / Middle Earth Quest - What are they?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Tolkien Quest / Middle Earth Quest - What are they?

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:44 pm

In this thread, Boneguard posted the following:
Boneguard wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm
Middle Earth Quest and Tolkien Quest to your list.
What are these exactly? Roleplaying Games? Are they related to MERP or other ICE RPGs?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

brassdragon
Orc

Re: Tolkien Quest / Middle Earth Quest - What are they?

Post by brassdragon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:19 pm

I had one of the Middle Earth Quest books (A Spy in Isengard) back in the day -- it's a gamebook in the model of Joe Dever's Lone Wolf et al.

I honestly can't remember whether the mechanics were visibly derived from MERP or not. They were certainly quite stripped-down, compared to a full tabletop RPG.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:05 pm

I've never seen either of these in my life, but from what I can tell from Tolkien Gateway, Tolkien Quest led to a copyright dispute and Iron Crown Enterprises pulled it from sale and replaced it with Middle-earth Quest.

I don't know about the legal issues, but it looks like the legal battle lost ICE a ton of cash and they eventually lost the MERP licence over this.

From what I can tell, there are the following books:

Tolkien Quest: Middle-earth Quest: It looks like each book might have a ready-to-run character, but you might also be able to use something called the "QuestGame System" to create your own characters. So these books are presumably a lot more complex that Endless Quest. There might even be a character sheet of sorts.

It might be possible to buy some of these books, use them yourself, for solo-play and then recycle the plots as tabletop plots in a conventional RPG tabletop game.

Tolkien Quest only seems to have been sold in English (before being pulled) while Middle-earth Quest seems to have been translated into a number of other languages.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:05 pm
It looks like each book might have a ready-to-run character, but you might also be able to use something called the "QuestGame System" to create your own characters. So these books are presumably a lot more complex that Endless Quest. There might even be a character sheet of sorts.

It might be possible to buy some of these books, use them yourself, for solo-play and then recycle the plots as tabletop plots in a conventional RPG tabletop game.
«These interactive adventures based on J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings are among the most complex gamebooks ever published, many using hex maps to allow great freedom of movement and all featuring about thirty pages of rules in each volume. Fortunately for those who don't like complexity, the rules are divided into levels. The basic rules use a pre-created character and offer simple rules for fighting, moving and gathering items. The advanced rules add the need to keep track of the passage of time and flesh out other elements of the system. Additional optional rules are provided for creating characters (which have three basic attributes, a variety of skills and, in some adventures, the option to cast spells), gaining experience, and calculating combat results by formula rather than by table. Finally, guidelines are provided for using the books as solitaire adventures for the full-fledged Middle-earth Role Playing system.»

Also : user comment
«With a strong literary antecedent and innovative gameplay mechanics, this series is one of the strongest produced during the Golden Age of gamebooks. The earlier entries are better than the latter, and feature more replay value.»

Source : https://gamebooks.org/Series/270/Show

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Interesting.

I wonder if any of these books would have any value for someone running a more traditional Tabletop RPG in Middle-earth?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:59 pm

My comment got lost - the system in this is similar to the Lord of the Rings Adventure game, which is based on MERP but cut down (fewer skills and attributes, everything in the range 2d6 +/- 5 instead of 1d100 +/- 50. I don't think they made exactly the same choices when cutting it down from MERP, though. I'd forgotten the difference between basic and advanced.

LOR is a pretty good basic system for LotR - simpler than TOR or AiME, much simpler than MERP. If you're running a tabletop game using LOR there's definitely stuff you can steal from MEQ.

killerasus
Kobold

Post by killerasus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Search for the Palantír was published. Here's the cover in pt-br.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 am

killerasus wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:52 pm
Search for the Palantír was published. Here's the cover in pt-br.
To the best of my knowledge, it was published in Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, but not English.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 am

The ones published in Italian were:
Terry K. Amthor. Una spia a Isengard (A Spy in Isengard, 1988), tr. Roberta Gefter Wondrich, 1991.
Kevin Barrett, Saul Peters. Tradimento alla fortezza (Treason at Helm's Deep, 1988), Angela Izzo, 1991.
Susan Mathews, John David Ruemmler. Le miniere di Moria (Mines of Moria, 1988), Flavio Gregori, 1992.
Milt Creighton. Alla ricerca del Palantir (Search for the Palantir, 1989), tr. Costanza Galbardi, 1992.
I have them. Strange that the first three were not translated and and the last one was published in other languages but not in english. Probably the publisher sent the english text to foreign publishers when it was still meant to be published, but never did it.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Return to “Middle-earth”