TOR 2nd Ed - What do we know?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

TOR 2nd Ed - What do we know?

Post by Havard »

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 am
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:41 pm
I can't quite tell what that press release means.

Are they picking up an existing product line?...
'
...or working on a new edition of TOR rules?
From the short lead in of the June date and this quote I’d say they are picking up the 2nd edition of TOR, which was touted as backwards compatible.

“ "We are thrilled to be working with Sophisticated Games and Francesco Nepitello to bring to life a new edition of The One Ring and its 5E iteration. ”
What do we know about the new edition? How different will it be compared to the original editon of TOR?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: TOR 2nd Ed - What do we know?

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:30 pm
Coronoides wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 am
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:41 pm
I can't quite tell what that press release means.

Are they picking up an existing product line?...
'
...or working on a new edition of TOR rules?
From the short lead in of the June date and this quote I’d say they are picking up the 2nd edition of TOR, which was touted as backwards compatible.

“ "We are thrilled to be working with Sophisticated Games and Francesco Nepitello to bring to life a new edition of The One Ring and its 5E iteration. ”
What do we know about the new edition? How different will it be compared to the original editon of TOR?
Nothing yet.

There has been nothing to follow up their press release of the 9th of March:
frialigan.se wrote:Free League Signs Deal to Publish RPGs in Tolkien's Middle-Earth
Press release • Mar 09, 2020 17:54 GMT

Free League Publishing today announced a partnership with Sophisticated Games to publish tabletop roleplaying games set in Middle-earth and based on the books by J.R.R. Tolkien. Francesco Nepitello, author of the game series alongside Marco Maggi, will continue as its lead designer.

"We are thrilled to be working with Sophisticated Games and Francesco Nepitello to bring to life a new edition of The One Ring and its 5E iteration. We grew up with J.R.R. Tolkien's iconic works and we're huge fans of the original version of the game. We have a very similar approach to game design as Francesco and we're convinced that we can create something truly special together," Free League’s CEO Tomas Härenstam says.

“Free League shares all our values. Values which are vital in interpreting the most extraordinary fantasy world ever created, one that is of enduring interest throughout the world in every language. Working with Free League’s highly talented team we look forward to continuing the work we began a decade ago, with publication of The One Ring," says Sophisticated Games’s MD Robert Hyde.

The agreement will go into effect from June 1, 2020. Products and release dates will be announced at a later time.

For questions and interview requests, please email to <email removed to prevent spambot harvesting>
You might need to wait until the 1st of June until they are allowed to discuss the details.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: TOR 2nd Ed - What do we know?

Post by agathokles »

I wouldn't expect much activity yet -- as far as I know the main author of TOR is also one of the main authors of Lex Arcana, which is running very late.

GP

Return to “Middle-earth”