[Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien languages

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Post Reply
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23744
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

[Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien languages

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:16 pm

JRR Tolkien made several constructed languages for his Middle-earth fiction, including Quenya and Sindarin. I know that those two actually have communities based around them (converting material into the languages and helping people to learn them).

Have any of the MERP or other Middle-earth RPG products used any of Tolkien's languages (either in handouts or other parts of the products)?

Has anyone running Middle-earth games used these or other sources to boost the feeling of immersion in the game?

Are there any good sources for generating names of places or NPCs/PCs that fit in correctly with Quenya, Sindarin, etc?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Falconer
Troll
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 pm
Gender: male
Location: Northwest Indiana
Contact:

Re: [Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien langua

Post by Falconer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:55 pm

For MERP there is the Adventure Guidebook II for First Edition or the Campaign Guide for Second Edition. They both include a really thorough and useful guide to Sindarin and Quenya. I have often used it for my games, especially for players looking for help creating PC names. The MERP line used both languages throughout their products for pretty much all invented character names and place names. Does that answer your question?
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18621
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: [Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien langua

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 pm

The appendix in the Silmarillion is really useful for this sort of thing too.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23744
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien langua

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:02 am

Falconer wrote:For MERP there is the Adventure Guidebook II for First Edition or the Campaign Guide for Second Edition. They both include a really thorough and useful guide to Sindarin and Quenya. I have often used it for my games, especially for players looking for help creating PC names. The MERP line used both languages throughout their products for pretty much all invented character names and place names. Does that answer your question?
Thanks Falconer. I think you covered it there.
Havard wrote:The appendix in the Silmarillion is really useful for this sort of thing too.
I've not got the Silmarillion yet (just The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings). I hear it is more difficult to read, but full of useful stories about the world.

I bet there are some online resources out there too. I've not had time to consider looking for anything for an "Other Middle-earth Websites (& Free Downloads)" sticky, but I know people are trying to boost one or both of the Elven languages into real spoken languages. (I know that there is currently an attempt to get a Klingon course going on Duolingo.) If any of that gets done for Quenta or Sindarin, I would guess that people running RPGs could piggy back off of the effort. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien langua

Post by night_druid » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:13 am

Big Mac wrote:Are there any good sources for generating names of places or NPCs/PCs that fit in correctly with Quenya, Sindarin, etc?
Both Paul and myself extensively use the Languages of Middle Earth booklet for naming elvish & orcish things. For example, Paul used the elvish languages extensively when creating the elven nations of Bralspace (Spiral, especially). Scro names in Paul's game are based on the Black Tongue (although the Black Tongue is much less developed than either elvish languages). The Lords of Autumn draws all of its names from Tolkien's elvish languages. I've used the human language for character names as well.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23744
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: [Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien langua

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:50 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there any good sources for generating names of places or NPCs/PCs that fit in correctly with Quenya, Sindarin, etc?
Both Paul and myself extensively use the Languages of Middle Earth booklet for naming elvish & orcish things. For example, Paul used the elvish languages extensively when creating the elven nations of Bralspace (Spiral, especially). Scro names in Paul's game are based on the Black Tongue (although the Black Tongue is much less developed than either elvish languages). The Lords of Autumn draws all of its names from Tolkien's elvish languages. I've used the human language for character names as well.
Isn't there a D&D elvish language for Forgotten Realms out there somewhere? :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon
Posts: 7209
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm
Gender: male
Location: Milan, Italy
Contact:

Re: [Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien langua

Post by agathokles » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:04 am

Possibly, but languages are a bit of a weak spot in D&D, except when RW languages are used.

GP

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: [Middle-earth] Quenya, Sindarin and other Tolkien langua

Post by night_druid » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 am

Big Mac wrote:Isn't there a D&D elvish language for Forgotten Realms out there somewhere? :)
Nothing official. Diana put together one and I'm sure there are others out there. There are also been a few Elvish/Dwarvish name generators in Dragon over the years.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Post Reply

Return to “Middle-earth”