[Middle-Earth] What edition of MERP?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Middle-Earth] What edition of MERP?

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:49 pm

I only played the 1st edition of MERP, but some people told me some improvements were made in the 2nd edition? What are the main differences between the two? Have there ever been more than 2 editions?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

PelinoreRevived
Lurker Above

Re: [Middle-Earth] What edition of MERP?

Post by PelinoreRevived » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:33 pm

I think that the second edition has more in the way of secondary skills, background options and professions. I once was asked to include some of those options in a pbp game I was running, but had to turn the request down due to the fact that I didn't have the book. If I recall, the player wanted to play a monk character. On that basis I decided that I didn't want the 2nd edition - Monks just don't belong in the setting IMHO.

If you're looking for an alternative game set in Middle Earth then I would go out of my way to recommend Cubicle 7s The One Ring. I daresay that I would even sail over to Norway to run it for you (even I don't know if I'm being sarcastic there or not :P ).
PelinoreRevived, the artist formerly known as KneverwinterKnight

Falconer
Troll

Re: [Middle-Earth] What edition of MERP?

Post by Falconer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:03 pm

ICE’s Middle-earth line is really all about the supplements. There are TONS of them, which together map out and stat out a really thorough Middle-earth.

The MERP 1E rulebook (both versions) is a slim book that is really no more and no less than Rolemaster Basic. So, there’s not much to it, because the assumption there is that RM is the full game for which the supplements were actually designed. Plus, they honestly expected most people to just use the supplements for AD&D or RQ (and they have actually stated as much).

With the MERP 2E rulebook, they tried a different approach of putting together a really thorough rulebook, with the idea that they ought to generate loyalty to their rulesystem for a change. So this version is thick and comes in both hardcover and paperback. A lot of the page count comes from pregen Character Templates so you can skip chargen and play an archetypal character, which strikes me as very useful. There is an “expanded” classes section, which I like, but I would probably go with RM2 instead if I really wanted a non-Basic version of MERP.

MERP 2E even had a rules supplement (Hands of the Healer).
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Return to “Middle-earth”