The Hunt for Gollum

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

The Hunt for Gollum

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:37 pm

This Tolkien fanfilm looks like its going to be awesome!

http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

metal
Stone Giant

Re: The Hunt for Gollum

Post by metal » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks for the link.

I can't wait! :)
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:37 am

Looks impressive. I think that 30 minutes may be a bit ambitious, but am hoping they can pull it off.

It would actually be good if some D&D fans (fans of any campaign setting) could make a fan film that showcases what could be done with a D&D film if it was done properly. I'm convinced that every campaign setting could make at least one great film.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I just had a look at it - awesome! It has the exact same atmosphere as the original - very well done! I agree that it might be ambitious, but if it works out it could be well worthwhile.

A random thought just occurred to me...suppose this project does work out well, I wonder if other well-organised and talented fans might take it upon themselves to dramatise other parts of the story? I know that some people have worked on various versions of screenplays for Akallabeth (the Downfall of Numenor) - a good story that (IMO) could probably be made into a good movie.

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 pm

I have to say, that is an impressive bit of production. I really look forward to seeing the end result. It sure is amazing what is possible outside the big studios.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:A random thought just occurred to me...suppose this project does work out well, I wonder if other well-organised and talented fans might take it upon themselves to dramatise other parts of the story?
Even if this bombed, I'm sure that other people would turn other parts of the story into short films. People must have made over one hundred fan films for Star Wars, and I don't see Lord of the Rings fanatics being any less likely to have the sort of skills that Star Wars have.

What is actually going to impress me (big time) is when D&D fans get the jump on the commercial D&D films (which were all really dire* and turn out a fan film of an iconic scene from a top selling D&D novel.

* = I can't understand how they had Richard O'Brian as the head of a thieves guild and couldn't get him to pull the rabbit out of the hat for them.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:14 am

Yay, Richard!
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Big Mac,
well, Hollywood is 99% complete drivelling garbage nowadays, the D&D film proved that, ick! :twisted:
So I'd only want D&D films made by real fans or someone with cojones, like Ridley Scott.

ALthough a lot of folk hate the LOTR films, I loved 'em, and the passion of those involved shows. Passion, not bean counting "suits", is what counts.
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote: ALthough a lot of folk hate the LOTR films, I loved 'em, and the passion of those involved shows. Passion, not bean counting "suits", is what counts.
Alot of people do _not_ hate the LOTR films. The vast majority of gamers and non-gamers love them. Its just that bashing a phenomena like that gets you attention. And some people will do anything to get that.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:48 pm

Havard wrote:Alot of people do _not_ hate the LOTR films. The vast majority of gamers and non-gamers love them. Its just that bashing a phenomena like that gets you attention. And some people will do anything to get that.
Wow... I don't think I've ever heard you sound quite so extreme, Havard. :D

I do largely agree with you, though. Whether something is collectively loved or hated is probably a matter of personal experience (i.e. what those around you say about it). In my experience, the lovers far outweigh the haters, but as you say there are some who will hate it just for the sake of being contrary.

The fan film does look impressive. I keep wondering how they got the aerial shots - those alone would cost rather a lot of money!

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Thorf wrote:I keep wondering how they got the aerial shots - those alone would cost rather a lot of money!
Someone with an ultralight, or an RC helicopter, or just throw the camera in the air. Forget that last one.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:40 am

Hugin wrote:
Thorf wrote:I keep wondering how they got the aerial shots - those alone would cost rather a lot of money!
Someone with an ultralight, or an RC helicopter, or just throw the camera in the air. Forget that last one.
I'm pretty sure it would need to be a helicopter to get shots like that, judging by the movements. Also if it's a helicopter you can remove the doors and not deal with glass between you and your subject.

In any case, my point stands: the cost would be significant. Renting a helicopter - even just for an hour or two - is not cheap. ;)

My guess is that they must have a budget in the region of thousands of dollars, maybe even tens of thousands. It would be interesting to find out a bit more about how these fan movies are made.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:26 am

Thorf... RC means "Remote Control".

Like these: http://www.raidentech.com/rchelicopters.html

Equipped with one of these: http://www.raidentech.com/miwispyca.html

as shown here: Image
linked to a computer for video capture.

The whole set-up costs less than $150 US, with occasional battery replacement for less than $20.

For a thousand $US or so, you can get a larger, gasoline-powered RC helicopter that can carry a full-sized digital video camera, which can reach greater altitudes, get better-quality footage, and stay up for a half hour or more for those multi-take shooting sessions... and all it costs then is a pint or so of gas every half hour.

Like these: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-turbi ... opter.html
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:57 am

Silverblade-T-E wrote:well, Hollywood is 99% complete drivelling garbage nowadays, the D&D film proved that, ick! :twisted:
So I'd only want D&D films made by real fans or someone with cojones, like Ridley Scott.
I think one of the problems with films, is that they cost so much money, that the investors think they have a right to tinker with the actual creation process. This doesn't seem to happen too badly when you have a sucessful director on the project, but when a director is making thier first film they are playing with a lot more cash than they have handled before.

To be fair a lot of the "garbage" is the bandwagon garbage that is hastily thrown together after any new concept does well. After Star Wars we got a few good sci-fi films and a bunch of awful ones. The same thing happened (to a lesser extent) after LotR. (I've got a low budget film called Dragon that is the most awful film I have ever seen in my entire life.)
Silverblade-T-E wrote:ALthough a lot of folk hate the LOTR films, I loved 'em, and the passion of those involved shows. Passion, not bean counting "suits", is what counts.
I think that the minority of people who say they "hate" the LotR films are the same sort of people who say they "hate" one of the D&D campaign settings. For some reason attention seeking people think that they can "big up" one thing by "slamming down" everything else.

There were a few issues with LotR that I would like to have seen differently. For example, I would have preferred to have seen the four hobbits take on Sauraman when they arrived back home. (If I had been given that, I could have lived without some of the many endings.) But on the whole the film was amazing. I didn't miss most of the edited stuff, and was actually happy that Tom Bombadil wasn't in the film (as I thought that a "jazz poet" was a pretty pointless diversion). (Strider saying "have some free swords" was a lot faster. ;) )

One thing I really liked about the LotR films was that they took some iconic fan pictures (and cover pictures) that had been around for years and built them into the film. For example, when Gollum meets Frodo and Sam, the actors actually got into the exact pose from a well known painting of that scene.

Another thing I really liked was that the stuntmen playing the Orcs and the stuntmen playing the Elves both teased each other to create the right sort of tension. They actually noticed the Orcs banging their sticks and singing at the Elves and decided to build it into the film.

Stuff like that, made LotR feel like a film you had "already seen" and also made the film feel like you could spin the camera around and see other stuff happening elsewhere. A lot of bad fantasy films have scenes where a guy in a "big blue dress" reads out a lot of words that he doesn't seem to believe in before doing something. But in LotR the words feel like important words (because the actors know they are important to the characters) and the something is an important thing (because the actors all know the book that inspired the film).

So, I'd love to see if either of these two "processes" get used with The Hunt for Gollum. Obviously, they don't have a book to use as a "cheat sheet", but I'm guessing that they are extrapolating all this from the hints given in the LotR film (and maybe in the books).

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Havard,
um, there are a lot of folk who don't like them, I know some, lol :P There are indeed more folk who DO like the films than don't, but some folk can't seem to get that a film adaptation can rarely be like the book, and a film can never be like their own personal vision of how they view it all.
:)

I adored the way they did the films, as Big Mac says, the artistry, attention to detail is bloody awesome! Pity the big screen versiosn weren't the "special editions" though. So much was missed out at times.

My only complaints are the way they made Gimli into too much of a figure of fun and goign a bit over the top with Legolas. I love humour, and humour is alas sadly lakcing from too many fantasy films/stories...real humour, as in the silliness folk do in extremis, the comical things that occur even in the darkest times, etc.
"It still only counts as ONE!" ok, you can see that one being a riot, especially around the D&D table ;)

Oddly enough, I preffer kepeign rocs, In D&D, more Tolkeinesque, as there's too much latey to have all monsters psycho-alayzed and merely "misunderstood"...bah, I like orcs as evil, gnarly brutes! much more fun!

"Bean counters" are having a dreadful impact on film making, sure they want a return on thier money, but when they force a film to fit a target adience, refuse ot make them mature, etc...barf!! You cannot make great art by making every damn film for a teen audience of Middle America. Lot of directors etc are really sick of it. See the dreadful amount of re-makes at the moment :/

The other wya they can get areial shots is to attach a camera to a long cable going between places, for example, for football stadiums, if the rig can also move horizontally you get a fantastic capability.
Modern cameras can be so small, and also gyro stabilized units that UAVs commerical or military, are awesome now.

Plus of course, the CGI work that's possible now...!!! Look at the battle of the Pelennor fields in LOTR, if you didn't know it was CGI, be hard ot realize it. Can you imagine that 30 years ago? folk's jaws would drop and wonder where they got the army form to do it.
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Thorf wrote:
Havard wrote:Alot of people do _not_ hate the LOTR films. The vast majority of gamers and non-gamers love them. Its just that bashing a phenomena like that gets you attention. And some people will do anything to get that.
Wow... I don't think I've ever heard you sound quite so extreme, Havard. :D
;)
Silverblade-T-E wrote:Havard,
um, there are a lot of folk who don't like them, I know some, lol :P There are indeed more folk who DO like the films than don't, but some folk can't seem to get that a film adaptation can rarely be like the book, and a film can never be like their own personal vision of how they view it all.
Yeah. I can pick out plenty of details that bug me about these films as well, especially things that were changed from what they were like in the book when I can't see a good reason for it. Details aside, the movies are so awesome, I am having trouble taking people who say they hate them seriously. Unless they also say they hate all fantasy, in which case there is no reason to keep the conversation going.

I am really hoping the Hobbit will feel like it belongs in the same universe as the LotR trilogy. Personally, I would have loved to see Saruman in that one as well, so its too bad Christopher Lee is such a purist.

Hunt For Gollum looks like it would be the perfect bridge between the Hobbit and LotR. The concept has the potential of showing so many of the important events that happen between the two stories. It would be great to see them come to life. Hopefully this doesnt get in the way of the plans PJ and Del Toro have so that they have to change things just to make it different from this project.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:Oddly enough, I preffer kepeign rocs, In D&D, more Tolkeinesque, as there's too much latey to have all monsters psycho-alayzed and merely "misunderstood"...bah, I like orcs as evil, gnarly brutes! much more fun!
Funny you should mention orcs. I find the green orcs with giant jaws totally unbelievable and unintentionally funny. I think that the LotR orcs (and the GW miniatures based on them) much more pleasing to the eye. They look much more scarey, and because they are a much more humanoid shape (inevitably because a human is inside them) they make the posibility of a half-orc seem more believable.
Silverblade-T-E wrote:See the dreadful amount of re-makes at the moment :/]
The remakes that really bug me are the ones where they rip out the original concept and totally reboot the film. I remember a European film (I don't remember the name) where a guy went to dozens of different countries looking for his kidnapped girlfriend and struggling with foreign police who all spoke different languages and had different rules. They rebooted this into a Hollywood version and replaced all these different countries with different states. It really diluted the believability of a person struggling with different police forces when everyone he met all spoke English. (At the very least, they should have turned him into an American tourist visiting Europe or South America, but why change it at all?)
Silverblade-T-E wrote:The other wya they can get areial shots is to attach a camera to a long cable going between places, for example, for football stadiums, if the rig can also move horizontally you get a fantastic capability.
Modern cameras can be so small, and also gyro stabilized units that UAVs commerical or military, are awesome now.

Plus of course, the CGI work that's possible now...!!! Look at the battle of the Pelennor fields in LOTR, if you didn't know it was CGI, be hard ot realize it. Can you imagine that 30 years ago? folk's jaws would drop and wonder where they got the army form to do it.
I'll expect to see a little bit of both of these techniques in The Hunt for Gollum. These guys seem to have money behind them, so they will be able to get some fancy stuff done, but arranging for hundreds of LotR fans to all get made up at the same time would be a logistical nightmare. I'll expect most of the action to be up close and with few actors.
Havard wrote:I am really hoping the Hobbit will feel like it belongs in the same universe as the LotR trilogy. Personally, I would have loved to see Saruman in that one as well, so its too bad Christopher Lee is such a purist.
Sauruman in the Hobbit? That just couldn't possibly work. Given that he fooled Gandalf until the point of Lord of the Rings, he must be seen as one of the good guys at this point. In fact, given that the Palantir helped to corrupt him, I would say that he might genuinly still be good at this point.

If Christopher Lee was to be in another film, I would want him to be in a LotR prequel that shows how he turned to evil and helped Wormtongue to corrupt the King of the Rohirm.

(And I would still like to see him have a better ending than "falling out of a window". :roll: )
Havard wrote:Hunt For Gollum looks like it would be the perfect bridge between the Hobbit and LotR. The concept has the potential of showing so many of the important events that happen between the two stories. It would be great to see them come to life. Hopefully this doesnt get in the way of the plans PJ and Del Toro have so that they have to change things just to make it different from this project.
I really can't see a fan film, like this, getting in the way of The Hobbit. The Hobbit is essentially a story of Gandalf tricking Bilbo Baggins into going on a big adventure with a bunch of dwarves.

In fact, I think the greatest problem they are going to have with The Hobbit, is that all the main characters (except Gandalf) are small. So people will not have a reference point to be reminded that they are all small (unlike in the LotR films, where you periodically saw Gimli or one of the hobbits talking to Legolas or one of the humans).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:Sauruman in the Hobbit? That just couldn't possibly work. Given that he fooled Gandalf until the point of Lord of the Rings, he must be seen as one of the good guys at this point. In fact, given that the Palantir helped to corrupt him, I would say that he might genuinly still be good at this point.

If Christopher Lee was to be in another film, I would want him to be in a LotR prequel that shows how he turned to evil and helped Wormtongue to corrupt the King of the Rohirm.
There was talk of expanding the Hobbit. When Gandalf leaves the party to fight the evil of Dol Guldur, he meets up with Saruman and Galadriel and defeats an incarnation of Sauron. Not much of this is mentioned in the book, but a movie would have to explain why Gandalf just leaves right before the party gets into trouble. This would have been a natural expansion of the story if they wanted that. Now it looks like the first hobbit movie will cover only the events of the novel, while the second one is anyone's guess.
(And I would still like to see him have a better ending than "falling out of a window". :roll: )
Hehe, yeah I guess it could have been handled differently. I don't think having him show up in the Shire would have worked as well in a movie though.

Havard wrote:Hunt For Gollum looks like it would be the perfect bridge between the Hobbit and LotR. The concept has the potential of showing so many of the important events that happen between the two stories. It would be great to see them come to life. Hopefully this doesnt get in the way of the plans PJ and Del Toro have so that they have to change things just to make it different from this project.
I really can't see a fan film, like this, getting in the way of The Hobbit. The Hobbit is essentially a story of Gandalf tricking Bilbo Baggins into going on a big adventure with a bunch of dwarves.
I was more thinking about what will likely appear in the Sequel.
In fact, I think the greatest problem they are going to have with The Hobbit, is that all the main characters (except Gandalf) are small. So people will not have a reference point to be reminded that they are all small (unlike in the LotR films, where you periodically saw Gimli or one of the hobbits talking to Legolas or one of the humans).
Hmm..never thought of that. I wonder how they will get around that.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:32 am

Havard wrote:
Silverblade-T-E wrote:Havard,
Yeah. I can pick out plenty of details that bug me about these films as well, especially things that were changed from what they were like in the book when I can't see a good reason for it. Details aside, the movies are so awesome, I am having trouble taking people who say they hate them seriously. Unless they also say they hate all fantasy, in which case there is no reason to keep the conversation going.
I agree - details aside being the keyword as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure everyone who's read the books can point to at least a few bits that were changed that they didn't like, but the important thing is that they got the atmosphere almost completely spot on. Moreover, some scenes actually ended up better than they are in the book - Sméagol/Gollum's discussion with himself in The Two Towers especially comes to mind. And the way they adapted it was for the most part very intelligent, including such techniques as shifting dialogue from the book to a different character, and of course merging some characters together to reduce the already insanely huge cast.

(This last point about number of characters is actually one I would never have thought of on my own; perhaps because of RPGs and a general love of drama I don't find it that hard to keep track of large casts. But here in Japan the number one thing that people say makes books and films hard to follow is the characters - specifically characters with foreign names. I can somewhat sympathise, especially in the case of Tolkien who not only introduces a cast of hundreds but also gives each individual character multiple names!)

There are people who just don't like fantasy... My grandmother was one of them. As you said, Havard, the conversation ends there. :)
I am really hoping the Hobbit will feel like it belongs in the same universe as the LotR trilogy. Personally, I would have loved to see Saruman in that one as well, so its too bad Christopher Lee is such a purist.

Um... What's your source for this? I've been keeping pretty up-to-date on the Hobbit movie, but I haven't heard anything about this, and indeed it goes against everything I've heard about Christopher Lee - which is to say that he is very much a fan of the books, and he has a good relationship with Peter Jackson.

Okay, I found this where he stated he was interested. It's a little old though. But now I see there's also this (scroll to the bottom of the article) which is just a few days ago.

Incidentally it's not stretching the Hobbit much at all to have Saruman appear, because there are events going on in the background (various meetings of the White Council, both before and during the story; Gandalf investigating Dol Guldur and finding Thrain; the assault on Dol Guldur) that it seems highly likely will be used in the film. Without even considering the second Hobbit film (the "bridge" between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings), many of these events may be shown in flashback, as a prelude, or even concurrent with the main story of the Hobbit - after all, I think the assault on Dol Guldur happens during the narrative of the Hobbit.

So I wouldn't rule out Christopher Lee's appearance yet. :D My worry is rather that I hope he stays healthy and is still around for these movies. Quite apart from him appearing in them, as a huge Tolkien fan I think he will want to see them just as much as we do.
Hunt For Gollum looks like it would be the perfect bridge between the Hobbit and LotR. The concept has the potential of showing so many of the important events that happen between the two stories. It would be great to see them come to life. Hopefully this doesnt get in the way of the plans PJ and Del Toro have so that they have to change things just to make it different from this project.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if much or all of the content of the fan movie ends up in the second movie - after all, their sources are the same. As you say, hopefully that won't become a problem.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:46 am

Sorry - through some browser weirdness I didn't see Havard's reply until after mine was posted. :?

Anyway regarding the Hobbit movies, the fact is that as of now we really know almost nothing about the scripts. Indeed the last I heard they're still writing them! So any talk of what happens in which movie is just speculation at this point.

That said, I do think it's highly likely that we'll see some or all of the side events we've been mentioning. How they are tied in with the main plot of the Hobbit, I don't know... But it wouldn't be too big a stretch to have parallel ongoing plots, cutting between Bilbo's group and Gandalf. The only real question is what effect it might have on the movie to do such a thing.

Only time will tell.

Regarding Saruman's end in the films, I thought it was not too bad. He didn't "fall out of a window" - he was stabbed repeatedly in the back and then pushed/fell off the top of the tower and was impaled on one of his own infernal devices. Seems quite fitting to me, and the music for the whole sequence of Saruman in Return of the King was just amazing.

While I would have liked to have seen the return to the Shire done more like it was in the book, the movie just didn't have enough time for it. Let's face it, the ending is quite long enough as it is - and I don't think any of the current ending could have been cut. On the contrary, the true ending of the story is blissfully intact - it's just the little bit of strife before that which was cut.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:11 pm

Thorf wrote:Regarding Saruman's end in the films, I thought it was not too bad. He didn't "fall out of a window" - he was stabbed repeatedly in the back and then pushed/fell off the top of the tower and was impaled on one of his own infernal devices. Seems quite fitting to me, and the music for the whole sequence of Saruman in Return of the King was just amazing.

While I would have liked to have seen the return to the Shire done more like it was in the book, the movie just didn't have enough time for it. Let's face it, the ending is quite long enough as it is - and I don't think any of the current ending could have been cut. On the contrary, the true ending of the story is blissfully intact - it's just the little bit of strife before that which was cut.
Well, I always thought that the cut down the story (into a manageable size) by focusing on the story of Frodo and the Hobbits. And for me, the "proper" end of the story, is that after they return home the four hobbits are able to defeat Saruaman without any external assistance. This part of Lord of the Rings made me see them as true heroes (rather than passengers).

I could have done without the "what happened to everyone else" bits. The only other one of the "many endings" I wanted to see was the King getting married.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:Well, I always thought that the cut down the story (into a manageable size) by focusing on the story of Frodo and the Hobbits. And for me, the "proper" end of the story, is that after they return home the four hobbits are able to defeat Saruaman without any external assistance. This part of Lord of the Rings made me see them as true heroes (rather than passengers).

I could have done without the "what happened to everyone else" bits. The only other one of the "many endings" I wanted to see was the King getting married.
But as it is the endings did focus on the four hobbits. After the coronation (which I always assumed doubled as a wedding for some reason?!?) all the other characters pretty much fall away, leaving the very last part of the film exclusively about the hobbits.

I do sympathise with what you're saying, because I'm sure we all have bits we would have liked them to include, but it would have taken too much screen time, and most importantly it would have required either a lot of quick glossing over, or else a whole sub-story to itself. I don't think you can get off with either of those at the end of a 3-4 hour movie.

Come to think of it, the Scouring of the Shire would make a good fan movie. It's a pretty self-contained story, shouldn't require amazing special effects and such, and yet is quite interesting in and of itself.

Changing the subject entirely, has anyone else considered that they are almost certainly going to have Gollum in this fan movie? I'll be very interested to see how they deal with him.

Oh, and about those aerial shots - I still think you'd need a normal helicopter to get the mountain shots. I guess you could hike up there with a remote control one and fly it around, but I doubt it would get shots as nice as the ones in the trailer.

Of course the other option is that they could have taken those shots from elsewhere, or even just bought the aerials they needed from a stock footage library (seems less likely but who knows).

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Now those are some convincing mountains! I guess we now know that they have some very talented people working on this project.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 pm

It seems timely to bring this thread back now. The film was released last weekend. I just finished watching it now. If you haven't already seen it, go and check it out!

As far as I'm concerned it was not bad. Pretty good production values considering it's a fan film, but it somehow failed to entice me. It may be simply because the subject matter is not all that interesting; it's a very simple story, really, and they don't make all that much out of it. But it's still worth watching.

I found the music particularly interesting, because it uses quite a few themes from the film, arranged into a score that's very reminiscent of Howard Shore's music while not just being cut and paste cues. Quite well done, really.

The only thing that irritated me really was the thing with the bag. Obviously it was a workaround for Gollum, because having a digital character walking around, interacting with your real actors would make the whole project orders of magnitude harder (and more expensive) to do.

All in all though an interesting fan movie, well worth the price of admission. (Which is to say: free. :D )

Return to “Middle-earth”