Blue Mountains

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Blue Mountains

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Anything more known about this area, besides it being settled by dwarves? Would this region make for a good campaign setting?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Blue Mountains

Post by agathokles » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:06 pm

The Ered Luin and Forlindon/Harlindon are the remains of the original Blue Mountains and Lindon, the kingdom of Gil-galad. Thus, there are certainly expansive abandoned dwarven ruins (the Second Age cities were abandoned during the war with Morgoth), and make for a good setting for adventures involving mostly Dwarves, Elves, and possibly the occasional Hobbit.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Havard wrote:Anything more known about this area, besides it being settled by dwarves? Would this region make for a good campaign setting?
I would have thought that the designers of the various roleplaying games would be forced to flesh out various details that Tolkein didn't provide.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:I would have thought that the designers of the various roleplaying games would be forced to flesh out various details that Tolkein didn't provide.
Licenses can be pretty tricky. I know WEG had a hell of a time with the Star Wars license, because they were severely limited in what they could create and elaborate on. In truth, the prequels were a godsend to the license, because it greatly expanded the material they could use.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:37 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I would have thought that the designers of the various roleplaying games would be forced to flesh out various details that Tolkein didn't provide.
Licenses can be pretty tricky. I know WEG had a hell of a time with the Star Wars license, because they were severely limited in what they could create and elaborate on. In truth, the prequels were a godsend to the license, because it greatly expanded the material they could use.
Fair point.

Hopefully someone with the RPG can chip in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:25 am

MERP does have a huge number of supplements dealing with areas left underdeveloped by Tolkien, such as Rhun or Umbar.
I'm not aware of a supplement on the Ered Luin, though.

The One Ring, OTOH, is a much smaller line, currently covering only the lands of Eriador and Rhovanion, roughly from the Shire to Erebor.

GP

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:49 pm

There was a Lindon supplement planned when ICE folded and MERP died. That would probably have covered the Ered Luin to some extent. Beyond that, only the Rogues of the Borderlands adventure had a bit Ered Luin info in it, but it wa snot much and the adventure itself was Ok but not exceptional (for MERP's standards - according to current ones it's probably not that good).
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Return to “Middle-earth”