RoleMaster in Middle Earth

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

RoleMaster in Middle Earth

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Anyone here play RoleMaster? How do you feel RM works in Middle Earth? My original group started out with MERP, but gradually we moved on to RM. We loved rules back then so we didnt really have a problem with all the tables and rules of the game, but if I was ever going back to RM, I think I would have liked to add some house rules to make things easier for the GM and players.

Have you tinkered with the RM system or do you prefer using it as is?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: RoleMaster in Middle Earth

Post by agathokles » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:46 pm

We use it with some simplifications, especially in that we do not use casting times (all spells are cast as a single action). Honestly, I don't think it is a good match to the Middle Earth setting, since RM is basically a more deadly D&D, but most of my current group started with RM, so we go with that when one of the others is the DM.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 pm

agathokles wrote:We use it with some simplifications, especially in that we do not use casting times (all spells are cast as a single action).
That makes sense. I always found the magic system a bit unnecessarily complex.

One thing we did back in the days was to hand out photo copies of the weapon attack tables to each player for the weapons they used so that we could look up those details ourselves. The GM still kept the crit tables to himself though.

For some reason we used the official rules for XP, including every optional rule and detail we could find. I know many people just hand wave that stuff and hand out XP as the GM sees fit. I think that would help a lot. As I remember, the official XP rules really reward fighter types opposed to other classes.

Honestly, I don't think it is a good match to the Middle Earth setting, since RM is basically a more deadly D&D, but most of my current group started with RM, so we go with that when one of the others is the DM.
Yeah, I tend to agree. If I was going back to any of the ICE systems for Middle Earth, I would probably use MERP as the basis again. Have you considered adding some rules to make the system less deadly? For instance, I like the addition of Hero Points in BRP when I want to use this system for less deadly settings.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Official XP rules give out XP based on critical hits (done or taken) , slain enemies, and hp inflicted. They do favor fighters to a certain extent, but mostly they favor combat oriented PCS with high ability scores , as mages also get bonuses for critical hits, and spells such as stunning cloud can inflict a large number of those.
Skill oriented characters progress definitely more slowly.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Regarding deadliness, I think that's fine as is. The setting does not encourage combat at all costs.

GP

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:31 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm
Anyone here play RoleMaster? How do you feel RM works in Middle Earth? My original group started out with MERP, but gradually we moved on to RM. We loved rules back then so we didnt really have a problem with all the tables and rules of the game, but if I was ever going back to RM, I think I would have liked to add some house rules to make things easier for the GM and players.

Have you tinkered with the RM system or do you prefer using it as is?
For many years I GM'd a RM game set in Middle-earth. In the end I grew increasingly frustrated by its generic approach and the campaign petered out. I made the mistake to add material from every Companion that came out (it was the '90s) and ended up with a vastly overblown system that got out of hand. Of course it is fun with all its variability and options, but IMO the best way (to play RM in Middle-earth) is to clearly define beforehand what is appropriate and what not and stick to that.
I now think that RM's main weakness is the magic system that would need a complete overhaul from the very ground up to make it at least somehow genre-fitting with respect to Middle-earth. And the other parts (in terms of background) are also strictly generic (naturally) that do not provide any genuine Middle-earth atmosphere. Overall it can work, but depending on the preferences of all participanmts it may not be the best option - or the best available. It depends entirely on the preferences and expectations of the GM and players whether RM (out of the box) is a good or poor choice.

Best
Tolwen
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Return to “Middle-earth”